Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default 2k8 Rosters (post 2008 draft)

So ok, the draft was tonight. Where am I likely to find a text version of roster updates so I can update my PS2 rosters?

I assume PS3, and XBox will have roster downloads.

Mathius

Default Re: 2k8 Rosters (post 2008 draft)

I hope so...
    If not someone take out the ol' college hoops 2k8 and post all the ratings here...if i had the game i would

Blu Ray

Default Vote on the next team I'm going to sim in 2K8!

Here's what I have so far:

PG:
    SG: Brandon Roy
    SF: Josh Smith
    PF: Sean Williams/Jason Smith
    C: Greg Oden

It's basically a core of Roy and Oden, everything else is negotiable. I haven't simmed either yet, so it should be interesting.

Throw me some ideas.

Banned

no there are no roster updates after the trade deadline, it wouldnt make sense for them to do that

thats half the reason people buy the next version

Default Draft Class in 2K8

When you import rosters from college hoops 2k8 the big men like Javale Mcgee and Michael Beasley have crazy crossovers and Point Guards like Derrick Rose and O.J. Mayo have the worst handles ever.Anyone know why?

Also players like O.J Mayo and Derrick Rose always turn out bad and players like James Gist and Richard Hendrix are at the top of the draft.Anyone know why?

And Another One Killer_Instinct's Avatar

Default So I'm Playing NBA 2K8....

I love 2K Sports. If not for them, we would be subject to expeirence NBA Live. That's enough to turn you off from Basketball period. But, I also find NBA 2K8 it an extremley frustrating game. It can be rewarding, when you strike gold and get than one REALISTIC game. When your team shoots 46% for 93 points and the computer shoots 47% for 89 points.

When Paul/Nash/JKidd/Billups don't have 20-30 Assist every game. When Jason Williams doesn't hit everything he throws up. But you may have a game like I had today. I had the Lakers. The computer was the Mavs(on HoF). The final score? 171-168. Every team gets hot. But this?

I've played NBA 2K8 for almost a year now on HoF difficuly. At times though, it's as if this game penalizes you for playing defense. These ARE NBA players. They can hit shots w/ a hand in their face. But the number of times thy are succesful is ridiculous. Stiffle a shooter? He may miss. But 7/10 Jason Terry is dropping the 3 ball in over Lamar Odom outstretched hand. Even if you get him to miss, the whistle will blow. And sometimes, your D will score the bucket for the opponent.

I attempted a steal on Dampier while he was posting up. I hit the ball, but somehow Kobe swiped the ball into the Mavericks hoop.

No contact is allowed some games. The Mavs shot 22 freethrows. I shot 7. Nevermind I scored more points in the pain ON DRIVES than they did.Not baby pull ups. I'm talking about heading straight to the rack, getting held and assaulted and no whistle. Meanwhile, I hit Nowitzki with a pinkie and he's shotting 3 freethrows. The momentum swings are too extreme. Either you are making all your shots, or bricking. Same for the computer. At times they can not miss. Add to the fact your teams AI is piss poor, it can be a frustrating expeirence. During these Comp runs, I've also noticed the dunk alsways turns into a layup, and your double team button refuses to work. I've never griped about this before, but they should really work on this.

I don't want to lower/raise the GS any because it'll take the fun away, but games where guys like Deavean George go 10/13 are to close together. I couldn't play D any better. ON perfect D sequences, I was called for a foul. NBA 2K9 should help level these momentum issues.

Needless to say taking smart shots are key, running plays, ext. But it's amazing when Ray Allen can't hit a wide open 3 on multiple trips down the court, but Yao Ming can bury the dagger with 2 on the shot clock.

Maybe I'm the only guy on these boards who have this problem. GUys from the 2K boards have griped about it, but it never really bothered me until this day. The game is not consistent. 2K8 is the best ball game I've ever played, but this stuff makes playing and having fun sometimes impossible.

Maybe I'm alone here?

Blu Ray

Default Re: So I'm Playing NBA 2K8....

I stopped my association with the Celtics after like 30 games because Ray Allen was shooting lik 35% from the field, and he mostly got wide open looks. The best shooter in the NBA is the worst shooter in the game.

Yeah, that's what I hate most about NBA 2k.

Your better of just to stand in front of shooters, because if you try to block it they hit the shot every time.

Yeah as realistic as 2k8 can be sometimes it can also get pretty unrealistic. I dropped 98 in a game with Steve Francis on 6 minute quarters and the highest difficulty level.

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Ok if you have a lot of time like i did, you can go to www.nbadraft.net & some other draft sites, get the players picked in the draft, then look at those players nba player comparisons. Then, go into 2k8, look for the players they are compared to, get their ratings, then create the player. Takes awhile, but its the only thing i've found.

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    Ok if you have a lot of time like i did, you can go to www.nbadraft.net & some other draft sites, get the players picked in the draft, then look at those players nba player comparisons. Then, go into 2k8, look for the players they are compared to, get their ratings, then create the player. Takes awhile, but its the only thing i've found.
    Thats stinks... Brook Lopez's comparison is Brad
    Daughtery who the heck is that???
    Last edited by Nets fan 93; 06-30-2008 at 08:47 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    Yeah, except rookies are supposed to POTENTIALLY reach that NBA players level. Why would I give a rookie Vince Carters ratings because that's his NBA comparison?

It's just not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    Thats stinks... Brook Lopez's comparison is Brad
    Daughtery who the heck is that???
    Please tell me you're joking.

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

2K8 is by no means perfect, particularly in the case of the PS2 version where they clearly rushed it with the PS3 version being their main focus.

I mean ok, a good gamer exploiting the system and running the score up to 150+ I could accept, but how is the computer keeping up? I lost a game to Orlando the other day 177-168.

Still, the game is a blast, and lightyears ahead of Live's latest abortion.

I was thinking of making a thread with the negatives you see in 2k8 with your particular system. I know I have some gripes about the ps2 version.

Mathius

And Another One Killer_Instinct's Avatar

I agree 110%.....While still the best basketball game on the market, it's flaws are just too drastic. You guys should try this. I noticed, when a shooter is attempting a jumper, they actually miss more(in select games) when you DON'T contest the shot. LJJ stated that earlier, but I'd never paid it any mind. Wtf? The penalization for actually playing hard defense is crazy. Today I had my first REALISTIC game in a few weeks.

No 125+ games, no one shooting 91%, no overwhelming swings of momentum. However, the computer tends grabs an insane amount of Offenseive Boards. Hope they patch this up in 2K8....hell, even if they don't, I'm not buying Live.

Mathius, I played the PS2 version a couple times at a friends house, and I noticed a few things that'd really piss me off. 2K8 is most defintley the best out there now, but the flaws can make it unbearable. I can't count how many times I've switched of my console in the middle of a game.
    Last edited by Killer_Instinct; 07-03-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Instinct
    I can't count how many times I've switched of my console in the middle of a game.
    Haha, I do that too.

It just gets frustrating as hell somethings. The CPU will go on these hot streaks, and you can't do nothing about it. CPU Kirk Snider hitting heavily contested threes in my face while my Matt Carroll misses three open ones in a row.