Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Real NBA Height

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Real NBA Height

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread Kid
    It was a pre-game radio show from 2001. I doubt I could find it. Maggette and Livingston I doubt are the heights you list and who's to say Mr. Brand isn't tip toeing or pulling a Barkley/mug shot on us.
    lol I saw Barkley's mugshot he must have been wearing boots or something. Livingston is listed at 6'7" and measured 6'6 1/4" while Maggette measured 6'6". That is the point of the measurements so teams can see what the players real heights are i doubt those measurements are false. You talk about illusions the picture of Brand and Marion could be one. Livingstgon was also hyped as a Penny Hardaway/Magic Johnson type of tall PG I doubt that would have happened if we was 6'4" or less.

NBA rookie of the year

Caron isn't slouching in the first picture, he's slightly leaning to his left a bit but not enough to create a difference.

THere's so many things/tricks these athletes use/do to create the illusion of a height they deem something they need.
    Like Lebron23 said Wade could be wearing big shoes.

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Like Lebron23 said Wade could be wearing big shoes.
    Exactly, a trick to cause an illusion of greater height.

Just look at Barkley's mug shot, it has him at 6'6 yet he isn't 6'6, if Barkley can make that happen this agin just reaffirms your theory/method flawed beyond belief.

NBA rookie of the year

Exactly, a trick to cause an illusion of greater height.

Just look at Barkley's mug shot, it has him at 6'6 yet he isn't 6'6, if Barkley can make that happen this agin just reaffirms your theory/method flawed beyond belief.
    Caron is also leaning to his left but pictures can give you a good estimate. You can't tell exact height from pictures but they give you an estimate. NBA pre-draft measurements aren't flawed though and Bibby was measured 6'1" barefoot, Livingston was measured 6'6 1/4" barefoot, Maggette was measured 6'6" barefoot and Brand was measured 6'7 1/2" barefoot. Chicago's gm also said Brand measured over 6'8" in shoes I could find a link if you don't believe me.

Mike Bibby is 6'1 and Bobby Jackson is 5'11

6'5 Ron Artest and 6'1 Mike Bibby

6'5 Bonzi Wells and 6'1 Mike Bibby

This is how to measured height in a picture

From the top of someone's head (excluding hair which doesn't count when measuring people) to the middle of their eye equates to roughly 4.5ish inches. This is assuming the head is not tilted but it's a good guage to use. If the head is tilted down a little it can look around 5 inches in photos with hair aswell.

From the middle of their eye to the bottom lip is roughly 3 inches, and another 2 inches of chin

from top top of the head up to your chin is 9 - 9.5 inches.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

if that's true Wally would be taller than Elton Brand! 0.o

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    if that's true Wally would be taller than Elton Brand! 0.o
    Wally is 6'7.5" and Brand is 6'8.25"
    Last edited by VCMVP1551; 07-28-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Kevin Garnett 6'11 1/4, 6'10 Tim Duncan and 7'5 Yao Ming.

6'10 Tim Duncan and 7'0 David Robinson

6'11 Greg Oden and 7'0 David Robinson

6'6 Desmond Mason and 6'4 3/4 Michael Redd

6'10 Dirk Nowitzki and 6'1 Steve Nash

6'6 1/4 T-Mac and 6'10 Tim Duncan

5'11 Jameer Nelson and 6'9 Dwight Howard
    Last edited by Lebron23; 08-18-2007 at 02:50 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Duncan is 6'10.5"

I am starting to think Ewing might only be 6'9"

7'1" Shaquille O'Neal looks 4 inches taller
    Last edited by VCMVP1551; 07-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Banned

45 nincyhes plojhg.

NBA rookie of the year

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n14549297

New Jersey Nets center Jason Collins is listed at 7-feet tall in the NBA's player guide.

Truth be told, Collins needs a boost to even come close.

"In sneakers, with my orthotics, ankle braces and two pairs of socks, I'm a good 6-11 1/2," said a chuckling Collins, whose Nets trail the San Antonio Spurs 2-1 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals heading into tonight's Game 4 in New Jersey. "It's almost a joke."

Collins, who's more like 6-foot-8, isn't the only basketball player telling a tall tale.

Many NBA hopefuls exaggerate their height while in high school or college to make themselves more appealing to coaches and scouts who prefer taller players. Collins, for example, remembers the exact day he picked to experience a growth spurt.

"Media day, my junior year," the Stanford graduate said. "I told our sports information guy that I wanted to be 7 feet and it's been 7 feet ever since."

Collins isn't fooling any of his teammates.

Four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Dikembe Mutombo, a legitimate 7-foot-2, said he and Collins don't exactly see eye-to- eye.

"They're giving him 4 inches," Mutombo said. "There are a lot of guys who list heights that they are not."

Mutombo said Larry Johnson, the former Charlotte Hornets and New York Knicks forward, was among the most grandiose exaggerators. While at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, Johnson was purportedly 6- foot-7. At the NBA's annual pre-draft camp, however, he barely topped 6-3.

"When guys are checked out in Chicago, it's the amazing shrinking measurement," said Marty Blake, the NBA's director of scouting.

The NBA doesn't measure players, which is probably why 1993 Most Valuable Player Charles Barkley got away with being listed at 6-foot- 6. Many who played against Barkley said he was, at most, 6- 4.

Several active players, including Philadelphia 76ers point guard Allen Iverson, are also practicing fuzzy measurement.

Officially, the league's 2001 MVP is listed at 6-foot-1.

"There's no way," Spurs forward Malik Rose said. "He's like 5- 11."

Rose, who's listed at 6-foot-7, admits to having fibbed about his height. Rose said he's actually 6-6, but felt he needed another inch or two in order to entice NBA scouts to consider an undersized forward from Drexel University.

"Nobody's going to go see a 6-6 center from a low-level Division I school so they gave me that one inch that helped," Rose said.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league counts on its teams to give accurate measurements of their players, who don't necessarily need to change their height.

Victor Dolan, head of the chiropractic division at Doctors' Hospital in New York, said players can increase their height by getting measured early in the morning because vertebrae get compressed as the day progresses. A little upside-down stretching doesn't hurt, either.

"If you get measured on an inversion machine, and do it when you first wake up, maybe you could squeeze out an extra inch-and-a- half," Dolan said.

I know he was 7 feet, but Walt thought it made him look extraordinarily tall, Blake said.

Spurs veteran Steve Kerr laughed when asked which players lied most about their height. He cited the now-defunct World Basketball League, which originally permitted only players under 6-foot-5.

Kerr said aspiring NBA players, many of whom were listed at 6-8 and over, wound up honing their skills in the WBL.

They lost 4 inches in a six-month period, said Kerr, who is listed at -- and actually stands -- 6-foot-3.

Former NBA All-Star Nate Tiny Archibald, who grew up in New York, said no one he played with or against cared that he was 6-foot-1 while he was zipping past defenders on the asphalt courts.

In the city, it wasn't how tall you were, he said. It was about developing a rep.

Plenty of NBA teams will be interested in free-agent point guard Earl Boykins, who at 5-foot-5 is the shortest player in the league this season.

Boykins, who averaged 8.8 points as a reserve for the Golden State Warriors this season, said it's about time general managers and scouts abandon their bigger-is-better mentality.

The NBA is so biased toward guys that are taller, Boykins said. Either you can play or you can't.

The NBA's top official isn't about to call for league-mandated measurements of players. Commissioner David Stern, whose height isn't listed in the NBA guide but was once estimated at 5-foot-9, said the disparity between reality and hype only adds to the intrigue of the game.

If they told you the exact heights they would have to eliminate you, Stern said. It's one of the best-kept secrets in sports.>

A good article but Mutombo isn't a legit 7'2" he measured 7'1" at the Chicago pre-draft camp in 1991 and Larry Johnson isn't 6'3" he was measured 6'5.5" at the same pre-draft camp. Collins also measured 6'10.25" at the 2001 pre-draft camp not 6'8".
    Last edited by VCMVP1551; 12-17-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Any NBA player who played at UCONN is listed AT LEAST 2 inches taller than they really are. Ben Gordon is really about 5'11, Ray Allen is 6'3, Okafor is almost 6'8...Butler is shorter than listed too. Even with the draft measurements without shoes, they somehow added an inch or 2 (ex: Ben Gordon is shorter than 6'1 (without shoes measurements)...and somehow he is listed at 6'3.

HeartHustleHope

This is an interesting thread.

Very good NBA starter

Yea cause Rip Hamilton was listed rookie year as a 6'7 SG(Hyped as Reggie Miller) but he looks about 1 1/2 2 inches shorter then Paul Pierce when they are in the games.

I've seen Ben Gordon measured at 6'0" and 6'1". Kirk Hinrich is 6'2 3/4" and Gordon is a minimum of 2 inches shorter.