Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default What's the difference between Kobe amount of shot attempts and Jordan?

Basketball analysts and some fans would say that Kobe doesn't get his teammates involve because he takes too many shots. He doesn't trust his teammates or he is selfish.

Michael Jordan average more shot attempts than Kobe in his career, and Kobe is still criticize for shooting too much at times. I know that Jordan was also criticize for taking too many shots early in his career because people thought Jordan should get his teammates involve more and score less like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. But once the Bulls started to win championships, the talk of his shot attempts started to die down.

Even when they compared Kobe to Jordan when Kobe played in the 90s, they talked about could Kobe shoot as much as Jordan. But they thought it was difficult because Shaq was already on the team and he took about 18-20 shots per game. And Jordan took about around 23 shots per game. And people keep praising Jordan's ability to score at a old age, and down his teammates at times when the offense dies when he wasn't in the game.

You fast forward into the future where Kobe play style is very similar to 2nd 3peat Jordan, and they take around the same shots. Right now Kobe is shooting about 25 shots a game, but people do criticize him for taking too many shots. Granted 2nd 3peat Jordan didn't take that many shots, but the season isn't over yet for Kobe, so it will adjust.

So, what's the difference between Jordan shot attempts and Kobe?

At first I thought it was because Jordan shot selection was better than Kobe. From what I watched of Jordan, he didn't iso and dribble to a corner and take a tough shot as often as Kobe. Instead, he post up, come off screens and do catch and shoot. And I thought that Jordan was better at finding the open man than Kobe is.

Jordan just got better shots than Kobe, and you could see that through his FG% and efficiency I guess. I think that Jordan flowed better with the offense. Knowing when to pass and getting good shots for himself more often than Kobe.

But with that said, I dunno if that's a significant difference between 2nd 3peat Jordan and Kobe of today. If Kobe could take that many shots, and do it at a pretty standard efficiency, why criticize that much if Jordan did the same thing? Or is it that Jordan did more of the little things on the court better than Kobe that made it more ok?

What do you guys think?

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: What's the difference between Kobe amount of shot attempts and Jordan?

1. Jordan's better
    2. Jordan never had efficient big men that he could just dump it down the way Kobe has for almost his whole career.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: What's the difference between Kobe amount of shot attempts and Jordan?

ppl cant accept the fact that someone has succeeded their childhood hero, when someone comes along in the future thats better than kobe, i wont be happy but i wont dedicate my life to criticizing and hating that player

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Basketball analysts and some fans would say that Kobe doesn't get his teammates involve because he takes too many shots. He doesn't trust his teammates or he is selfish.

Michael Jordan average more shot attempts than Kobe in his career, and Kobe is still criticize for shooting too much at times. I know that Jordan was also criticize for taking too many shots early in his career because people thought Jordan should get his teammates involve more and score less like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. But once the Bulls started to win championships, the talk of his shot attempts started to die down.

Even when they compared Kobe to Jordan when Kobe played in the 90s, they talked about could Kobe shoot as much as Jordan. But they thought it was difficult because Shaq was already on the team and he took about 18-20 shots per game. And Jordan took about around 23 shots per game. And people keep praising Jordan's ability to score at a old age, and down his teammates at times when the offense dies when he wasn't in the game.

You fast forward into the future where Kobe play style is very similar to 2nd 3peat Jordan, and they take around the same shots. Right now Kobe is shooting about 25 shots a game, but people do criticize him for taking too many shots. Granted 2nd 3peat Jordan didn't take that many shots, but the season isn't over yet for Kobe, so it will adjust.

So, what's the difference between Jordan shot attempts and Kobe?

At first I thought it was because Jordan shot selection was better than Kobe. From what I watched of Jordan, he didn't iso and dribble to a corner and take a tough shot as often as Kobe. Instead, he post up, come off screens and do catch and shoot. And I thought that Jordan was better at finding the open man than Kobe is.

Jordan just got better shots than Kobe, and you could see that through his FG% and efficiency I guess. I think that Jordan flowed better with the offense. Knowing when to pass and getting good shots for himself more often than Kobe.

But with that said, I dunno if that's a significant difference between 2nd 3peat Jordan and Kobe of today. If Kobe could take that many shots, and do it at a pretty standard efficiency, why criticize that much if Jordan did the same thing? Or is it that Jordan did more of the little things on the court better than Kobe that made it more ok?

What do you guys think?

There's a distinct difference in how and where they shoot. Jordan's gets his shots in the triangle while Kobe would often venture outside the triangle and stagnate the offense. With 96-98 Jordan playing the post role of the big man, the offense went through him most of the time, while Kobe has to play more of the facilitator role in the offense...i think people see it as...Kobe has 2 of the best big men in the game to dump the ball down to, to establish a low-post game which turn can open up the floor for the wings for better quality shots. Kobe often times abandons that and takes the game out on the perimeter far too often.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    ppl cant accept the fact that someone has succeeded their childhood hero, when someone comes along in the future thats better than kobe, i wont be happy but i wont dedicate my life to criticizing and hating that player

DENIAL is an UGLY thing for you tards.....

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I think earlier on the criticism was justified.

Kobe took plenty of forced and bad shots, most of them coming outside of the offense and flow of the game, in other words he was going for his.

MJ wasn't perfect, but he was far better at playing within the flow of the game, and taking better/smarter shots. MJ didn't force the issue as much as Kobe even when he was going for big numbers. Another difference between the two is that MJ even while in scoring mode was more willing to play other aspects of the game more frequently/consistently. Kobe appears to abandon every other aspect and concentrate solely on scoring. Again... Kobe appears to have changed somewhat from his earlier days, and matured as a decision maker.

Most of us have stressed repeatedly that one of the biggest differences between MJ and Kobe and why MJ was more successful, was MJ's superior IQ/shot selection.

Kobe has been inconsistent in these aspects, at times displaying a mature mindset and unselfish decision making, and then play an entire stretch that leaves one thinking "what happened to the Kobe of 1 minute ago?" Jekyll and Hyde kobe is.

Good High School Starter

kobe is better by a lot. mj never had the ability to create his own shot at the level of kobe. if u watch kobe play, he creates a lot more on his own and gets double teamed a lot more. mj just had an elite playmaker like pippen that could get him the ball and he could just post up and shoot. mj just couldnt create as many shots as kobe. its a big difference in their skillsets

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
    kobe is better by a lot. mj never had the ability to create his own shot at the level of kobe. if u watch kobe play, he creates a lot more on his own and gets double teamed a lot more. mj just had an elite playmaker like pippen that could get him the ball and he could just post up and shoot. mj just couldnt create as many shots as kobe. its a big difference in their skillsets
    Oh shit, no white text... he's serious.

I think it's because Jordan wasn't taking awkward fade away 3s with his teammates open. More within the offense, teammates more involved than Kobe's. Also style, Kobe tends to dribble more, Jordan was more of one quick step, wide open shot, which was faster and much more efficient. (Kobe said that when comparing both of their games. Not the more efficient part, that's my opinion, but the style difference.) Kobe has to work a little harder to get a shot off.

Great college starter

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Because Jordan shot 50% from the field while Kobe has never sniffed it for a season. Ever.

Great college starter

In one big nutshell...

Jordan didn't settle.

Did you even watch Jordan play? This is why some people start rooting against Kobe, because of 15 year old Kobe fans and their opinion based on absolutely nothing.

The number one thing that impressed me the most about Jordan was his ability to create his own shot. That's the number one thing that impressed me the most as I tried to copy his moves. Then in 2003 I read Dennis Rodman's book, and he said that what impressed him the most about Jordan, and what impresses anyone who knows about basketball the most about Jordan is not the ppg, etc, but his ability to create shots.

Because Kobe has a tendency to force shots. While he is a great great scorer, he gets these moments where he keeps jacking up shot after shot even with defenses draped all over him. Now it doesn't happen very often, since he's such a good scorer that he rarely has terrible shooting games - but when it does happen people tend to notice it.

MJ shot a lot, but they were in the flow of the offense. When I watch his bad shooting games, they were pretty much good shots that just don't go in. Watch the 96 Finals for an example of this.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Did you even watch Jordan play? This is why some people start rooting against Kobe, because of 15 year old Kobe fans and their opinion based on absolutely nothing.

The number one thing that impressed me the most about Jordan was his ability to create his own shot. That's the number one thing that impressed me the most as I tried to copy his moves. Then in 2003 I read Dennis Rodman's book, and he said that what impressed him the most about Jordan, and what impresses anyone who knows about basketball the most about Jordan is not the ppg, etc, but his ability to create shots.
    cuz he was guarded by scrubs, wasnt even one good defender in his era, with his handles in todays game hed get picked 4-5 times a game trying to create srs