Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Magic & Larry in the current league; what position and how good?

Lebron with a better shot? Naaaaaaaaaah.

I might take him over Lebron...shooting wouldnt be in his favor though.

Bird would thrive in today's game. As mentioned above, he'd be well suited to the 4 if he had a rim protector next to him. Imagine Bird alongside someone like DeAndre Jordan.

Offensively, Bird was like a much better version of Kevin Love, so he'd have no problem there.

And of course his passing would fit right in with today's team basketball and ball movement / team ball.

As for those people commenting on the athleticism he'd have to face on a nightly basis, you have no idea what the 1980s were like. Watch this and tell me the 80s weren't full of great athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o...tw_ghKiyTJKoaA

Players like Wilkins, Nance, Kersey, Erving... some of the most athletic small forwards of all-time.

I understand Bird also faced some weak defenders like Kiki Vandeveghe, but LeBron has easy nights too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Larry would definitely be a PF now and would basically be an better Dirk with great passing skills.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orange_chicken

Bird will go against guys like:

Iguodala, Kawhi, Bron, KD.
    who are worse than Rodman, Michael Cooper, MJ and Magic

Quote Originally Posted by orange_chicken

Magic will go against guys like:

Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.
    who are worse than Bird, Drexler, Dominique, Dr. J

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Bird would thrive in today's game. As mentioned above, he'd be well suited to the 4 if he had a rim protector next to him. Imagine Bird alongside someone like DeAndre Jordan.

Offensively, Bird was like a much better version of Kevin Love, so he'd have no problem there.

And of course his passing would fit right in with today's team basketball and ball movement / team ball.

As for those people commenting on the athleticism he'd have to face on a nightly basis, you have no idea what the 1980s were like. Watch this and tell me the 80s weren't full of great athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o...tw_ghKiyTJKoaA

Players like Wilkins, Nance, Kersey, Erving... some of the most athletic small forwards of all-time.

I understand Bird also faced some weak defenders like Kiki Vandeveghe, but LeBron has easy nights too.
    Kudos. But I find it offensive just to see Love and Bird in the same sentence. Love is a glorified Ryan Anderson. Bird is one of most alpha killers ever who could beat you in every way imaginable except athleticism.

And the youngsters don't understand how athletic the NBA already was by the mid-1980's.

i think larry would play the 3, 4, or 5 in today's game, but regardless of what position he played, his GAME is that of a small forward, just in general.

larry ran off screens like rip hamilton and MADE PLAYS on the perimeter like a wing player, not a big man..

Seriously - watch Bird for a couple minutes - power forward and centers simply don't play like this - ONLY WINGS DO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEmcemLR7M&t=0m25s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPpTvX86n8&t=0m39s

Bird had a wing-like shot-creation style and PULL-UP shooting ability - PF's like blake griffin and tim duncan don't play this way.. Btw, in today's spacing, Bird's passing would be unreal - i think he could thoroughly dominate the game like we've never seen before with his unique passing ability in today's spacing (achieved in a non-ball-dominant fashion).
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-25-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Based on empirical evidence, there is a 100% chance Magic would play point guard in today's game.

The top 25 career leaders in apg are all point guards, led by Magic's 11.3 in regular season and 12.3 in the playoffs.. The #25 guy is at 7.0 apg.

So there's never been a player who averaged 7+ apg that DIDN'T play point guard, let alone Magic's 12 apg.

Said another way, anytime there has been a player with anywhere NEAR Magic's passing ability, they played point guard.. Coaches invariably want a player who passes that well to play point guard.

Interestingly, Magic was an elite passer from ANY position - he would lead the league in assists from the center position - he's the only player in history that would lead the league in assists from any position.. But the coach would still play him at point guard - as virtually every coach in the history of the game has done players that pass that well, or anywhere near.
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-25-2015 at 07:09 PM.

I can see Larry playing PF considerably more, nowadays... Due to all the small-ball going around, due to him being more of a terrific all-around stretch 4 who was better at guarding the post and more impactful at roaming around on D, due to him most likely not playing with a PF of McHale's caliber (who had to start for them)...
    Still killing it from the perimeter, anyways.

Right now? Peak Larry Bird would've CLEARLY been the best player in the league.

All that athleticism talk is bullshit though.

Bird faced the likes of Dr J, Nique Wilkins, Marques Johnson, Worthy, Aguirre, Woolridge, Larry Nance...
    Apart from those guys mentioned above, he was guarded by dudes like Bobby Jones, Rodman, Cooper, Rodney McCray, Pippen, Larry Nance, Kersey, Pressey, Ho Grant, Moncrief, Cliff Robinson, Jordan, X-Man, Roundfield, Drexler, Woolridge, Buck Willims...
    ^Looking at it overall, that's a better combination of athletes/defenders than someone like LeBron has had to face, especially in the Playoffs. So just gimme a ****in break.

The only right answer for Magic's position has to be PG, that's the way he's most impactful, that's the way you maximize his talents and get the best out of what he brings.
    ^That's on offense, obviously.

And ofc that it's hard for most 6'8 players to keep up with those very quick PG's who can score the ball, but guess what? You always had those players around, Magic's Lakers seen PG's like Zeke, KJ, Gus Williams, Price, Lever, Tim Bug, Stockton, Micheal Ray... And when the matchup could be exploited there, Magic was switched to a SG/SF/PF - also because he was very versatile and LA was better off with defenders like Coop, Nixon or Scott on them, anyways.
    Not even like he was getting killed by everyone on defense, please... And, for the vast majority of times, the matchup was always tougher for the opponent.

Magic right now would've definitely been the best PG in the league. Peak Magic with a great case for #1 player.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 07-25-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Bird would do better than Magic. PG position is played very differently now then it was in Magic's time so he would have to adjust his game more. Any time an all time great has to adjust or change something, you're making them worse more times than not imo

I can see Bird in the 13-16 Spurs playing SF/PF ... destroying teams.

Ay that other guy's thread inspired me. F*ck it, honestly, I don't know jack about Magic and Larry. I'm a fraud if I ever seriously tried to have a credible opinion on how great they were. I only know what I've seen from documentaries, stories, a handful of full games, oodles of highlights, and opinions of fans who watched them. The rest is filled in with my own imagination.

There are a few posters on this board whom I believe actually watched Magic and Bird in their primes. 3ball is one. Marchesk is another. 95+% of ISH posters never watched them, just like me. If you're one of those guys, stop trying to act like you have anything relevant to say. It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    They'd both be the best players in the league, 1 and 2 respectively.

LeBron is 30 going on 31, and Durant doesn't have the all-around package these guys bring to the court.

It'll be interesting to see just how good Davis will be this upcoming season, though.
    The top 2 players in the league are usually recognized for playing both ends of the floor.

Bird did so/tried to....... in a much bigger way than Earvin ever attempted

They would both be as successful if not more successful, especially Larry since he didn't necessarily need the ball in his hands to be the best player in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    They'd both be the best players in the league, 1 and 2 respectively.

LeBron is 30 going on 31, and Durant doesn't have the all-around package these guys bring to the court.

It'll be interesting to see just how good Davis will be this upcoming season, though.
    Peak Bird and Magic vs current LeBron? Sure. 09-12 LeBron? It would be a three way debate. Let's not underrate peak LeBron.
    Last edited by TheMan; 07-26-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Magic - Best PG in the game.

Bird - Best SF in the game.