Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Men vs. Women

Default Men vs. Women

I got into a little debate at work the other day. Let's say there was a "battle of the sexes" basketball game held once every summer, where the worst-ranked men's D1 college squad faces the reigning WNBA champions. How do my fellow ISHer's believe this game would go?

Default Re: Men vs. Women

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    I got into a little debate at work the other day. Let's say there was a "battle of the sexes" basketball game held once every summer, where the worst-ranked men's D1 college squad faces the reigning WNBA champions. How do my fellow ISHer's believe this game would go?
    It's interesting, because you would expect Serena Williams to dominate the worst D1 male tennis players, but with basketball, one isn't sure the WNBA women would prevail.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    It's interesting, because you would expect Serena Williams to dominate the worst D1 male tennis players, but with basketball, one isn't sure the WNBA women would prevail.
    tennis is a non contact sport

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    tennis is a non contact sport
    You think the setting screens and fighting for position would be the determining factor in basketball between the men and women?

Yes but how do tpols and marchesk see the games actually playing out?

You think the setting screens and fighting for position would be the determining factor in basketball between the men and women?

that and drawing contact finishing around the rim plus posting up.. pretty much.

It's an interesting topic. The guys are going to have an extreme advantage, but at the same time they are playing against what I assume to be a very organized team. With basketball you could have a Dream Team roster playing raw with no coaching losing to the top more organized college kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    It's an interesting topic. The guys are going to have an extreme advantage, but at the same time they are playing against what I assume to be a very organized team. With basketball you could have a Dream Team roster playing raw with no coaching losing to the top more organized college kids.
    this.

they would have extreme physical advantage but just like when the dream team lost to those college kids in scrimmage that could always happen.. guys think it will be easy posting and slashing, maybe miss a few bunnies while someone like diana turasi gets hot from midrange and starts getting crafty getting her team open looks.. they could win

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Yes but how do tpols and marchesk see the games actually playing out?
    I don't know. Jstern made a good point about being organized. I would guess the guys would try to use their physical advantage and push the women around. I wonder how the game would be called.

i dont think you guys understand how good womens basketball teams are.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I'm guessing the worst D1 men's tennis players are a few tiers below Braasch, but that is an interesting result. Serena and Venus can look very dominating at times against the best women.

The men would crush them, anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    i dont think you guys understand how good womens basketball teams are.

I don't think you understand how athletic real men are when compared with women. I know you're a loner raised by women with a pre-pubescent frame, so you don't really understand the world from the perspective of a "man". I don't really think that's your fault.