Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Celtics are interested in JR Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Too many guards already lol. Smart, Bradley, Thomas, Rozier, Green, etc.
    Danny had a dream to have an all guard team. This is his chance to accomplish that

The term "interested" means diddly squat. I'm sure the Shanghai Sharks are interested as well. Doesn't mean anything will happen or even can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    The term "interested" means diddly squat. I'm sure the Shanghai Sharks are interested as well. Doesn't mean anything will happen or even can happen.
    While I agree that many teams probably have interest at least my topic isn't about Jordan or Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    While I agree that many teams probably have interest at least my topic isn't about Jordan or Lebron
    This shouldn't be a topic along with those. Better off being nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    This shouldn't be a topic along with those. Better off being nothing.
    That is your opinion. In that case 99% of threads shouldn't exist on this forum. I respectfully disagree.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    Danny had a dream to have an all guard team. This is his chance to accomplish that
    Except it isn't his chance, because JR isn't signing for $2 million a year ... if they were even able to clear that much (which is a stretch).

Boston HAS ENOUGH role player type guys. They need a superstar type to put them over the top. If they can't get a superstar somehow, they need a Gordon Hayward type to give them a Detroit Pistons 2004 kind of chance to win. Meaning having 3 All Star type guys who can give u 18-20 points (Horford, Gordon, Isiah) to go with their assortment of role players.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The reality is that no one is offering him more than Cleveland so they have to act like there is at least one serious competitor to get more money when there really isn't.
    You don't know what others teams are offering JR Smith.

And given Celtics have no cap space, I would say this wasn't even leaked by Smith's team.
    It was just made up by journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Boston HAS ENOUGH role player type guys. They need a superstar type to put them over the top. If they can't get a superstar somehow, they need a Gordon Hayward type to give them a Detroit Pistons 2004 kind of chance to win. Meaning having 3 All Star type guys who can give u 18-20 points (Horford, Gordon, Isiah) to go with their assortment of role players.
    Their ace in the hole is Brad Stevens. I don't know how good a coach he can be or if he can overcome not having that All-World talent you're talking about ... but, it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I've been nothing but impressed with him since his days at Butler. He's a phenomenal coach and he now has enough "really good" pieces to potentially make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    They have 3 allstar types. Thomas, Horford and Crowder.

Surrounded by good role players in Bradley, Amir, Smart, Rozier, Olynyk, Zeller, Jerebko and possibly Jaylen Brown.

They will contend for the ECF this season and possibly further.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train

And given Celtics have no cap space, I would say this wasn't even leaked by Smith's team.
    But, we do know which teams can be ruled out as offering him anything in the vicinity of what he's asking for. The list that we can rule out makes up 26 teams in the NBA. There are four teams that can feasibly offer JR a nice contract...

Here they are in order of how much space they have:

Cleveland (Bird rights)
    Philadelphia
    Brooklyn
    Denver

That's the list. There are no other teams that can offer $15 million or more, which is what he's asking. The Cavs have already put between $12-14 million on the table, reportedly.

So, with all of that being said, where are his offers and who is making them? The three possible teams make zero sense for Smith and vice versa.

It's just math, guys.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    But, we do know which teams can be ruled out as offering him anything in the vicinity of what he's asking for. That makes up 26 teams in the NBA.

Here they are in order of how much space they have:

Cleveland (Bird rights)
    Philadelphia
    Brooklyn
    Denver

That's the list. There are no other teams that can offer $15 million or more, which is what he's asking. The Cavs have already put between $12-14 million on the table, reportedly.

So, with all of that being said, where are his offers and who is making them? The three possible teams make zero sense for Smith and vice versa.

It's just math, guys.

That's 3 teams that could use a shooting guard.
    Especially a championship starting 3 & D shooting guard currently being offered below his worth.

Their current rumored offer is backup point guard money.
    They are offering 3/33.
    He was underpaid 6-7m last season.
    He should be getting 4/60 at least and he will IMO.
    It may be a partially guaranteed 4th year in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    It's just math, guys.

I know the Collective Bargaining agreement inside out thanks - and all the teams current cap space. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest other teams could sign him.

That's 3 teams that could use a shooting guard.
    Especially a championship starting 3 & D shooting guard currently being offered below his worth.

Their current rumored offer is backup point guard money.
    They are offering 3/33.
    He was underpaid 6-7m last season.
    He should be getting 4/60 at least and he will IMO.
    It may be a partially guaranteed 4th year in the end.
    He was traded and his team had to give away valuable assets because that $6.5 million contract was considered such a problem.

You also can't call him underpaid last year, because he opted out of his player option and he ended up having to crawl back, tail between his legs, and take less money than the option was worth ... that's how little interest there was in JR league-wide.

I love JR. He's perfect for the Cavs.

He'd make no sense for young teams rebuilding (Sixers, Nets) or a team already loaded with role players and stuck in no-man's land (Denver). More to the point, none of those teams have shown any interest in him, either last free agency or this one.

Let's be honest about JR's options ... they're pretty much nonexistent. It's either re-sign in Cleveland and play for another championship while being paid between $12-15 million (he's asking for $15 per) or sit out the season.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I don't know who the source is for sure but if there was a contract out there for eighty million we would know because he would have signed it.