Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Do sports teach us the wrong values?

I always hear people say that sports teach us good values.

But I also always here that in the economic world, competition is evil, nobody should 'win', it's disgusting to have pride, ambition, want to be on top etc.

The whole reason people keep score in sports is to determine who wins.

Is this a terrible mindset we are imparting on young children?

Should Obama make sports illegal?

Default Re: Do sports teach us the wrong values?

Well, sports teaches teamwork, which I'm totally against.

NBA Legend

I just feel like it's wrong for sports to keep score. It's also kind of racist in a way, if you think about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Well, sports teaches teamwork, which I'm totally against.
    depends on the sport

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I just feel like it's wrong for sports to keep score. It's also kind of racist in a way, if you think about it.
    I think it's a sign of how sexist America is that the WNBA can't sell out staples centre every night, people in europe support a league of players who rely on fundamentals and can't dunk, the only difference between their league and the wnba is women play in the wnba so that must be why americans boycott it.

Organized sports is full of a$$holes. So, if nothing else, you learn how to deal with a$$holes.

Sports teaches an obvious truth. Everybody doesn't have equal value. And there's no logical reason to think people who do the same job should get paid the same. Just because you do the same job doesn't mean you do the job as well.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Sports teaches an obvious truth. Everybody doesn't have equal value. And there's no logical reason to think people who do the same job should get paid the same. Just because you do the same job doesn't mean you do the job as well.

"It's not the truth, if I don't want to believe it."

-Karl Marx
    -Bernie Sanders
    -DeuceWallaces

Tolerant Liberals

"It's not the truth, if I don't want to believe it."

-Karl Marx
    -Bernie Sanders
    -DeuceWallaces

Bruh WTF. I am not a leftist Libtard by any means but Marx and Sanders should not be slandered like that.

But I also always here that in the economic world, competition is evil, nobody should 'win', it's disgusting to have pride, ambition, want to be on top etc.

I coach my son in several sports and the participation trophy is the worst concept out there. That's why kids nowadays feel so entitled.
    My teams I always played the best on the field. I awarded a game MVP. It made them strive harder. Play competitively. Play to win. Most of my boys have excelled including my son with this concept. It also made them more coachable. Funny thing is, it's the kids I have adopted on my team who were terrible on their previous team were the kids who talked back the most and refuse to play if it was out of what position they wanted. You play to win, be better than everyone else, and those who do carry that attitude through life.

5-time NBA All-Star

Why do you have imaginary enemies in your head and distort and add hyperbole to almost every sentiment they have? Why do you depict yourself as some harbinger of truth when Deuce is arguably a more sincere human being with a stronger grasp of reality than you? Why can't you pick up a biology book, read it, internalize the truths at all levels, grow a little and then refine your message? There's nothing wrong with higher education dude. Nothing. You're curious, you have intellectual needs and enjoy this kind of stuff; go for it.

Last time you presented a strong dilemma with saving "a white kid vs. a black kid" and basically beat your chest saying I have the ability to confront dark truths and others don't. What if your problem wasn't even rooted in reality to begin with? What if the problem was the question to begin with; as it is a) unrealistic b) loaded in that it's written in a way that creates separation and controversy in the first place and c) just has bad intentions written over it. What if the right thing to do was as simple as consulting one's conscience at that moment?

1) Pride is bad is derived from Christian Theology because it is ultimately a lie and takes one away from God and adds rust to the spiritual heart. Everyone falls short in the Glory of God as God has created man with a much higher ceiling than all other creatures; but distractions and diversions prevent us from walking the straight and narrow in actualizing it. Moreover, everything good is a grace from Him, everything bad is something that came from the carnal self. Everyone can stand to be more humble and improve themselves more. Hubris is a downfall of many human beings and pride denotes an attachment to something that is not real, i.e. the ego; and worldly transient things. When it comes time for the cleavage of the consciousness and the body, the afterlife will be easy for those whose hearts are (free from pride) and attached to eternal God.

2) Competition is evil? Says who? Want to be on top is bad? Says who? No one is against striving for excellence. The only beef the "left" has with "winners" is losing one's compassion for others and failing to lift others up concurrently, as well as arrogance, monopoly, corruption and other negative byproducts that (sometimes) occur. Ambition is bad only as far as it compromises and gets out of proportion in relation to other values that make for a fulfilling life such as integrity and family.

3) "Whole reason we have sports is to see who wins" You know very well there are other reasons (and particularly fruitful to the youth).

Godspeed towards balance.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 02-12-2016 at 12:42 AM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Why do you have imaginary enemies in your head and distort and add hyperbole to almost every sentiment they have? Why do you depict yourself as some harbinger of truth when Deuce is arguably a more sincere human being with a stronger grasp of reality than you? Why can't you pick up a biology book, read it, internalize the truths at all levels, grow a little and then refine your message? There's nothing wrong with higher education dude. Nothing. You're curious, you have intellectual needs and enjoy this kind of stuff; go for it.

Last time you presented a strong dilemma with saving "a white kid vs. a black kid" and basically beat your chest saying I have the ability to confront dark truths and others don't. What if your problem wasn't even rooted in reality to begin with? What if the problem was the question to begin with; as it is a) unrealistic b) loaded in that it's written in a way that creates separation and controversy in the first place and c) just has bad intentions written over it. What if the right thing to do was as simple as consulting one's conscience at that moment?

1) Pride is bad is derived from Christian Theology because it is ultimately a lie and takes one away from God and adds rust to the spiritual heart. Everyone falls short in the Glory of God as God has created man with a much higher ceiling than all other creatures; but distractions and diversions prevent us from walking the straight and narrow in actualizing it. Moreover, everything good is a grace from him, everything bad is something that came from the carnal self. Everyone can stand to be more humble and improve themselves more. Hubris is a downfall of many human beings and pride denotes an attachment to something that is not real, i.e. the ego; and worldly transient things. When it comes time for the cleavage of the consciousness and the body, the afterlife will be easy for those whose hearts are (free from pride) and attached to eternal God.

2) Competition is evil? Says who? Want to be on top is bad? Says who? No one is against striving for excellence. The only beef the "left" has with "winners" is losing one's compassion for others and failing to lift others up concurrently, as well as arrogance, monopoly, corruption and other negative byproducts that (sometimes) occur. Ambition is bad only as far as it compromises and gets out of proportion in relation to other values that make for a fulfilling life such as integrity and family.

3) "Whole reason we have sports is to see who wins" You know very well there are other reasons (and particularly fruitful to the youth).

Godspeed towards balance.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I coach my son in several sports and the participation trophy is the worst concept out there. That's why kids nowadays feel so entitled.
    My teams I always played the best on the field. I awarded a game MVP. It made them strive harder. Play competitively. Play to win. Most of my boys have excelled including my son with this concept. It also made them more coachable. Funny thing is, it's the kids I have adopted on my team who were terrible on their previous team were the kids who talked back the most and refuse to play if it was out of what position they wanted. You play to win, be better than everyone else, and those who do carry that attitude through life.
    You may coach your son but you would still ditch him for floor seats

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"] jk [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    You may coach your son but you would still ditch him for floor seats

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"] jk [/COLOR]
    for you, anything

who says that??

i think you're making it up because you have too much time