Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: I don't understand why the left opposes military spending?

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I wouldn't pretend to speak for "the left" but there is a difference investing productively in the future and engaging in a purely destructive activity like war.

There are a LOT of people in Iraq who are pretty thankful for US intervention and wouldn't consider it 'purely destructive.'

Do you consider the Civil War which reunited the North and South as 'purely destructive?'

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    50% is unrealistic

I just want to see a 10% cut...

THEN...throw 5% of that toward education, and the other 5% toward healthcare

hell, just even a 5% cut and throw all that extra savings toward education would nearly double the education budget.
    To which specific areas/costs of education do you want to see more money directed?

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    The right said they are opposed to helping Americans that cant help themselves?

Where did you see that? Or are you just making a blanket statement based on nothing because it sounds cool?

Republicans are seemingly on an eternal quest to gut welfare and food stamps, nevermind that a full two-thirds of SNAP recipients can't work, because they are children, elderly or disabled.

Corporate welfare costs Americans far more than food stamps every year, but where do you think Republicans want to tighten their belts?

How many jobs bills did Republicans champion during the Great Recession, when Americans desperately needed them? How many veterans bill has Congress passed lately? Just last April, the GOP Congress tried to pass a bill that would have cut benefits for 70,000 veterans. "Murica hating" Obama threatened a veto, so they reworked it.

This is how Republicans thank our veterans--by telling them to fck off in the event they can't be used as political props: http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-Ne...erans-benefits

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Okay, I'll just say right now that pie chart I posted is BS...we spend a lot more on healthcare than that.

BUT...healthcare is bigger issue in this country than military, putting A LITTLE more focus on that and less focus on stealth fighters would make the country better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    To which specific areas/costs of education do you want to see more money directed?
    college debt in general

it's ridiculous right now

코비=GOAT

Okay, I'll just say right now that pie chart I posted is BS...we spend a lot more on healthcare than that.

BUT...healthcare is bigger issue in this country than military, putting A LITTLE more focus on that and less focus on stealth fighters would make the country better IMO.
    Check out entitlement spending. We do focus on it more than our military if you look at the raw numbers.

college debt in general

it's ridiculous right now
    How about, people learn to not borrow money that they can't pay back? Especially if it's for something of no value.

Colleges are straight up playing people. Sorry, but a lot of these "classes" are are nothing more than a scam to get money from suckers. If you get yourself $100k in debt to pay for a degree in women's studies, you're just an idiot. A sucker is born everyday, and you're one of them. Colleges are blatantly making up shit like "taco appreciation" classes to rip-off idiots who are stupid enough to pay for it.

NBA Legend

Part of the reason our military is so huge is because we aren't just the US military, we are literally the WESTERN WORLD'S military. Without our military as the recognized top dog on the planet, our allies would be in a lot more precarious of a situation than the ones they currently enjoy.

Quite Frankly, with Stephen A Smith, we should be collecting tribute from these countries for our protection. We should insist Canada help pay for our military costs, else we'll tell Russia we don't have Canada's back anymore. Same with every other country out there.

We should make a public list of countries we will defend, and anyone can sign up as long as they're willing to help us foot the bill. Otherwise, you aint on the list and we'll make sure everyone knows it

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    How about, people learn to not borrow money that they can't pay back? Especially if it's for something of no value.

Colleges are straight up playing people. Sorry, but a lot of these "classes" are are nothing more than a scam to get money from suckers. If you get yourself $100k in debt to pay for a degree in women's studies, you're just an idiot. A sucker is born everyday, and you're one of them. Colleges are blatantly making up shit like "taco appreciation" classes to rip-off idiots who are stupid enough to pay for it.
    okay, so then no one goes to college.

I just recently had to create my son's college fund, it is estimated that it will cost him $250k by the time he is that age.

That's absurd...regardless of inflation, that is absurd....no one should be spending a quarter million to go to college. If the 'correct' way to go about things is "just don't go to college" then the system is broken.

NBA Legend

Except engineers, lawyers, doctors, and so forth will be able to pay it back. Which is why they should take out loans and attend college.

People who are not taking a path with that kind of certainty should not be taking out loans to study 'English.'

I just recently had to create my son's college fund, it is estimated that it will cost him $250k by the time he is that age.

That's absurd...regardless of inflation, that is absurd....no one should be spending a quarter million to go to college. If the 'correct' way to go about things is "just don't go to college" then the system is broken.
    Ok, then tell the government to stop guaranteeing student loans to any fcuk-tard that wants one. It's called supply and demand. The government is driving up demand which drives up the cost. College costed like nothing before the government decided to go all clueless-do-gooder and interfered with the market.

NBA Legend

Also, PT, as long as you raise your son well and teach him good habits, encourage him, mold him into a good person, he won't need to pay 250k for college to be successful. He'll be just fine.

If there's a particular line of work that he really wants to go into which will require an expensive degree, then you'll be prepared to help him. But definitely focus on raising him with the right values, and it'll work itself out regardless.

More bombs, less learning.

Conservatives adore an uneducated populace.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    More bombs, less learning.

Conservatives adore an uneducated populace.
    You don't need to sit in expensive classroom to learn. Anybody with Internet access has the entirely of human knowledge at their fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    You don't need to sit in expensive classroom to learn. Anybody with Internet access has the entirely of human knowledge at their fingertips.
    23,000 posts in 5 years = a degree in jack and shit