Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: your family roots

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    That's impressive, that you know about your family lineage extending that far back.

I have a Mexican friend who doesn't even know his exact age or the state he was born in. His mother didn't get his birth certificate until years later after his horth and just guesstimated his age and place of birth. And here you have this extensive knowledge of your roots.
    I don't take it for granted I think it's interesting to know where you come from. My girlfriend is like your friend, her grandpa is Mexican but changed his name to a French name and was always tight lipped where he came from and details about his actual family origins. As for myself I'm actually trying to find out as much as I can before my 86 year old aunt passes who has kept track of most of this stuff and has pictures and stories of all these long-gone relatives. I did the 23andme DNA test which gave some additional more ancient insight.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

My paternal line as far back as I've pics.
    Erastus in his 60s, Sheridan as a teen, Charles in his mid 40s, my dad in his late 20's, me at 28

90% of my DNA be it maternal or paternal is pretty much exclusively from some type of Northern European region. So in the eyes of say, an ancient Roman, I'm what Germanic "Barbarians" looked like since they all came from every single one of those regions which my ancestry appears to come from.
    I thought germanic "barbarians" came from a whole range of areas through migrations and weren't pined down as one group or ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I thought germanic "barbarians" came from a whole range of areas through migrations and weren't pined down as one group or ethnicity.
    "Barbarians" could be from anywhere they simply meant non-Roman (so, they could be from Asia for example). However, germanic barbarians as I mentioned would all be the tribes from "Northern Europe" (Present day France, Germany, Brittain, etc) which appears to be where 90% of my ancestry comes from, regions like that. Germanic areas in ancient Rome covered pretty much that entire area that is lit up by my ancestry chart.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    "Barbarians" could be from anywhere they simply meant non-Roman (so, they could be from Asia for example). However, germanic barbarians as I mentioned would all be the tribes from "Northern Europe" (Present day France, Germany, Brittain, etc) which appears to be where 90% of my ancestry comes from, regions like that. Germanic areas in ancient Rome covered pretty much that entire area that is lit up by my ancestry chart.
    Yeah true but I meant that I had heard those tribes migrated there from other regions before showing up on the roman radar and we still weren't sure where those regions where.

I can personally trace my ancestry 600 years by name occupation and accomplishments. . My parents and my grandmother know much more.

   

Yeah true but I meant that I had heard those tribes migrated there from other regions before showing up on the roman radar and we still weren't sure where those regions where.
    AFAIK aryans from the caucasus region who settled in europe are the primary source of peoples who later became known as germanic tribes.

Viking genetics checkin IN.

I don't know how mysterious or not the origin of many Germanic (Northwestern Europe) Barbarians are historically however I do know that the paternal line in my DNA according to 23andme.com goes back 17,000 years from within the Northwestern European region - so my ancestors were around that area during the Roman times and since about 15,000 years prior.

I'd imagine the gene flow wasn't that dramatic for about 15,000 years if that's the case. I think before the age of mass transit via ships/flight when people say things about ancient Roman era Barbarian tribes coming from "unknown" places and settling in say, the UK... their unknown origin was probably still Northwestern Europe. Like maybe Scandanavia or Germany. That's got to be why my DNA is 90.1% Northwestern European (Scandinavia/UK/Germany-France) I can't figure any other reason.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-10-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Sorry Cavs

You ain't part of the Viking club

I see that Northern European % there

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Sorry Cavs

If i were you, i wouldnt be too proud of my genetics

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    If i were you, i wouldnt be too proud of my genetics

The sweden then picture should just be a bunch of guys shitting together. Vikings had some horrible cases of parasitic infestation and spent a lot of the time shitting blood together.

Norway bro

The true Scandinavia

Rated the most livable country in the world

Norway bro

The true Scandinavia

Rated the most depressing country in the world
    FTFY

Sorry Cavs

Eh, I'm 90.1% Northwestern European which they lump with the Scandinavians because it is so genetically similar... 2.4% is specifically Scandinavian, and 37.8% is undefined, meaning any bit of that could be more Scandinavian.

Either way, it's not a contest

Germanic tribes or what

Gladiator ft. Russell CROWE