Default Need a clutch shooting game? Play seven.

- Players go in order shooting from the free-throw line.

- every make increases a running tally, capped at seven.

- every time a player misses, whatever the running tally is, it gets added to the player's personal score, and the running tally returns to 0, meaning the next guy has no pressure to make a shot after a miss. For example, if you are third in the order and the first 2 guys make, the running tally is 2. If you miss, you get 2 points added to your tally. Simply put, points are bad in this game!

- once a player has 7 points on their personal tally, they are eliminated (hence the game being named "7" and the running tally capped at 7).

- if you play this with good shooters like I do, the running tally will almost always get to 7, meaning every miss means certain elimination for someone.

- players can make as much noise as possible but they cannot block the shooter's view of the rim. standing to the side in their peripheral vision is ok, so is standing just behind the backboard. trash talk is encouraged
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 09-30-2014 at 02:32 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Need a clutch shooting game? Play seven.

That's a pretty cool structure. I can't believe I've never heard of it. It'd be cool to use in a coaching situation where you can push the tempo of the shots, and dictate the type of shots by sending the team through various patterns.

yea, it's pretty cool. It's a common game in my neighborhood in Toronto.

if you want to up the tempo, a good way to do is the loser of each game will be the designated rebounder and passer, and instead of free throws, you do catch and shoot from specific areas of the floor. Each game usually takes like 5 minutes so they wont have to be rebounder for very long.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    yea, it's pretty cool. It's a common game in my neighborhood in Toronto.

if you want to up the tempo, a good way to do is the loser of each game will be the designated rebounder and passer, and instead of free throws, you do catch and shoot from specific areas of the floor. Each game usually takes like 5 minutes so they wont have to be rebounder for very long.

Yeah. When I coach I run a few patterned shooting drills. Coaches will pass and rebound and I'll put everyone through a cut where they have to catch and shoot, usually catching on the move, from various movements.

rank sentamentalist

bump

i'm using this. but not for ft's, that's boring. catch and shoot with the rebounder is definitely the better game, especially with 4+ ppl

Don't know what games are you talking about, but what we play is we have two balls, and first two people of the line shoot from the free throw line. If second person in line makes a shot first, the first one is out. If the first one makes his shot, he passes to the next in line. Players can rebound and shoot as many shots/layups as they want as long as the person behind them doesn't score first. They can interrupt their shots depending on the rules. It's an ok game. I usually dominate because I don't have good shooters as friends.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Don't know what games are you talking about, but what we play is we have two balls, and first two people of the line shoot from the free throw line. If second person in line makes a shot first, the first one is out. If the first one makes his shot, he passes to the next in line. Players can rebound and shoot as many shots/layups as they want as long as the person behind them doesn't score first. They can interrupt their shots depending on the rules. It's an ok game. I usually dominate because I don't have good shooters as friends.
    this is calle 'bump' or 'knock-out' where i'm from, depending on whether you're allowed to whip your ball at someone else's and send it down to the other end of the court. been playin that since like 5 y/o haha. dunno if those names are universal tho

i still play a solo game that i'm pretty sure thorpe suggested years ago. iirc it was a game ray allen played to work on his jumper. bear in mind this isn't for set shots, its for rapid fire to make it a contest. it's really simple. start at 0, every shot you make you add 1, every shot you miss you subtract 2. try to make it to 10 before you make it to -10. sometimes i do it for baby hooks and reverse layups if i wanna make it easy. other times catch and shoot midrange as i said. also a good game to play with a partner rebounding as you dance around the three point line and get some rhythm going.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    this is calle 'bump' or 'knock-out' where i'm from, depending on whether you're allowed to whip your ball at someone else's and send it down to the other end of the court. been playin that since like 5 y/o haha. dunno if those names are universal tho

i still play a solo game that i'm pretty sure thorpe suggested years ago. iirc it was a game ray allen played to work on his jumper. bear in mind this isn't for set shots, its for rapid fire to make it a contest. it's really simple. start at 0, every shot you make you add 1, every shot you miss you subtract 2. try to make it to 10 before you make it to -10. sometimes i do it for baby hooks and reverse layups if i wanna make it easy. other times catch and shoot midrange as i said. also a good game to play with a partner rebounding as you dance around the three point line and get some rhythm going.
    Here it's called Americanke or Caravan, depending on the region.

I also sometimes do a run-along the paint line, stepping forward on a make and taking a step back on a miss, trying to go full 180 degrees. It's a deceptively time-consuming task.

When I'm alone I try to make 200 shots from not-in-the paint, so they are mainly midrange shots, with a three every 50 or so, and I try to finish with 3 threes in a row. Sometimes I take a layup or a hook to get the streak going, but they don't count itself. That's a good workout if done in a hurry, it takes me around 1,5 hr or more to complete (which might be a terrible result but still depends on how many off-record shots you take, and how much time you take to get a proper set shot, because they are way more accurate than fallaways that drain stamina).

Yeah it sucks when there's nobody to play with. However, it's a good opportunity to develop a drainer.

rank sentamentalist

I also sometimes do a run-along the paint line, stepping forward on a make and taking a step back on a miss, trying to go full 180 degrees. It's a deceptively time-consuming task.
    around the world! pet names are hilarious haha

i've intentionally gone down around dusk and then there's a time stamp on it which rushes me which makes me fk up. you're right though, it is deceptive. i always nail the first four until i get to the elbow or ft line and somehow my shot goes funky and i completely lose my form. i think that's a psychological/expectations kind of thing.

When I'm alone I try to make 200 shots from not-in-the paint, so they are mainly midrange shots, with a three every 50 or so, and I try to finish with 3 threes in a row. Sometimes I take a layup or a hook to get the streak going, but they don't count itself. That's a good workout if done in a hurry, it takes me around 1,5 hr or more to complete (which might be a terrible result but still depends on how many off-record shots you take, and how much time you take to get a proper set shot, because they are way more accurate than fallaways that drain stamina).
    that's intense. i'm nowhere near that regimented, the game i described above and around the world are pretty much all i do. then i turn lazy and start lofting hook shots and shitty double clutches around the paint. then i go home.

my jumper is really unorthodox... err ugly. guys at my scrimmage have called it a screwball. never the right backspin on it, but somehow i make a decent number of them. something i've noticed lately is how much i palm the ball shooting instead of using my fingertips more. i think that's another ray allen lesson i picked up from somewhere.

i'm a streak/rhythm shooter anyway, as i said, my mechanics are balls

where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    around the world! pet names are hilarious haha
    wut

i've intentionally gone down around dusk and then there's a time stamp on it which rushes me which makes me fk up. you're right though, it is deceptive. i always nail the first four until i get to the elbow or ft line and somehow my shot goes funky and i completely lose my form. i think that's a psychological/expectations kind of thing.
    Interdasting. We also play Champion, where there are n-1 equally spaced spots along the 3pt line, and one person under the basket. All shoot a three until they miss, then after the ball comes back to the spot all the players rotate. When the first player returns under the basket (full cycle), we count who got scored on the most and he is out. If it's a tie players shoot 3 threes from a position, then 2 and 1 if needed. Thing is you could also play Champion along the paint-line, and while suckers laugh when I suggest it, they usually get thrown out early. We then do not count on cycles, but a player who gets scored 10 + a hook shot is out. It ends up being hook shot duel from the free throw line. It's deceptive indeed.

that's intense. i'm nowhere near that regimented, the game i described above and around the world are pretty much all i do. then i turn lazy and start lofting hook shots and shitty double clutches around the paint. then i go home.

my jumper is really unorthodox... err ugly. guys at my scrimmage have called it a screwball. never the right backspin on it, but somehow i make a decent number of them. something i've noticed lately is how much i palm the ball shooting instead of using my fingertips more. i think that's another ray allen lesson i picked up from somewhere.

i'm a streak/rhythm shooter anyway, as i said, my mechanics are balls

where do you live?
    Well depends. A lot of guys just waste time using it for laid back shooting on their own. You have to work to improve... Practise crossovers, tempo, arms and legs getting tired from shooting. What I hate is guys who can barely dribble but always dribble a lazy between-the-legs before shooting a jumpshot. It translates to precisely nothing on the court. Make sure you're not one of them... at least do tempo hook shots from under the basket without bringing the ball down, that's hard.

Yeah well it's easy to see who went to bball school and who haven't when watching a jumper. It's a mess if they haven't, and it's very rigid, straight-up and inflexible if they have. Schooled ones make the open set shots with incredible accuracy, though. I played with like 60+ year old former pros, silver hair and looking like a skeleton. You leave them open it's money all the time, but they can't adjust mid-air however. That's what shooting for a living is, I guess...

this is me shooting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMbMUaotOM

I'm from Lithuania, you?

rank sentamentalist

Well depends. A lot of guys just waste time using it for laid back shooting on their own. You have to work to improve... Practise crossovers, tempo, arms and legs getting tired from shooting. What I hate is guys who can barely dribble but always dribble a lazy between-the-legs before shooting a jumpshot. It translates to precisely nothing on the court. Make sure you're not one of them... at least do tempo hook shots from under the basket without bringing the ball down, that's hard.

Yeah well it's easy to see who went to bball school and who haven't when watching a jumper. It's a mess if they haven't, and it's very rigid, straight-up and inflexible if they have. Schooled ones make the open set shots with incredible accuracy, though. I played with like 60+ year old former pros, silver hair and looking like a skeleton. You leave them open it's money all the time, but they can't adjust mid-air however. That's what shooting for a living is, I guess...

this is me shooting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMbMUaotOM

I'm from Lithuania, you?
    yeah i'm lazy working on my game. i put in my work at an early age. now i can be competitive against pretty much anybody, which is good enough for me. i'd rather pass the ball and play lockdown d anyway haha

i dunno though certain hesitation moves lead me into a jumper that will almost always go in. not necessarily through the legs, but something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xnl51PPDQQ

except i only do it with my left. sometimes its a bit of a carry but w/e

you've got good form. i should put together something like that. i don't even think i know what my jumper looks like

i live in canada