Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default David Stern is full of shit - ESPN Interview about MJ.

I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theories around MJ leaving Basketball in his prime, but listening to this recent David Stern interview has me thinking that perhaps we don't know the whole story.

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.

So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

ESPN Interview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZxunQfBcc

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Re: David Stern is full of shit - ESPN Interview about MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theories around MJ leaving Basketball in his prime, but listening to this recent David Stern interview has me thinking that perhaps we don't know the whole story.

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

commish confid's in public he lost his mind

Stern had close ties with MJ for the simple fact once Bird and Majic were ut of the picture , MJ generated millions and his viable interview didn't dispute it.
    u don't like Stern = say it.
    I for one think he did a great job over the decades to make the NBA what it is today(.)

I have no problem with Stern. He helped take the NBA to where it is today... but did you listen to the interview?

Also, he claims it wasn't about MJ until the Bulls started winning Championships... but I can tell you the MJ hype started way before he started winning rings.

people who say Jordan was suspended = idiots

Stern saying he wished Jordan luck and went back to business = lying

Stern would never publically admit he panicked during Jordan retirements.

Op, you're right....Stern should have said he called Jordan and cussed him out because he couldn't stand the thought of someone retiring because their father had been killed and they were burnt out.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Op, you're right....Stern should have said he called Jordan and cussed him out because he couldn't stand the thought of someone retiring because their father had been killed and they were burnt out.

He didn't have to say that, but he could have been more truthful, and still be PC about it. Something like, "I was shocked, and I didn't want him to leave, but I respected his decision", or something like that.

This whole, "I didn't give fukc... can't even remember who told me" BS is just ridiculous though. You don't remember who told you MJ was retiring from Basketball during his prime after winning 3 straight rings? Ya fukcing right. I was only 13 and I remember exactly where I was when I found out.

In the interview, Stern essentially says he didn't care that MJ decided to retire in his prime to play Baseball, and that he wished him good luck. I'm sorry, but MJ was a global phenomenon, and the face of the NBA, and if David Stern really thought MJ was retiring from the sport, he would have lost his mind.

So, either Stern is lying now about how he felt at the time, or he knew at the time that MJ would only be gone for a period of time, and would eventually return. Either way, I think it's safe to say Stern is full of shit.

Meh, the league was way bigger than any single player. In fact, attendance went up the following year. Stern knew it would be just fine with or without MJ. Kinda like if Lebron retire after the season.

He didn't have to say that, but he could have been more truthful, and still be PC about it. Something like, "I was shocked, and I didn't want him to leave, but I respected his decision", or something like that.

This whole, "I didn't give fukc... can't even remember who told me" BS is just ridiculous though. You don't remember who told you MJ was retiring from Basketball during his prime after winning 3 straight rings? Ya fukcing right. I was only 13 and I remember exactly where I was when I found out.
    Seems to me that's exactly what he's saying from 2:08-2:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZxunQfBcc&t=2m08s

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Seriously what do you expect him to say? "I cried liked a baby and begged him not to leave me "?

I guess I expected him not to act completely aloof about the situation. I found it borderline disrespectful. Perhaps Stern holds some resentment towards MJ because of the credit MJ gets for taking the game global.

I guess I expected him not to act completely aloof about the situation. I found it borderline disrespectful. Perhaps Stern holds some resentment towards MJ because of the credit MJ gets for taking the game global.
    Probably Stern doesn't take basketball personal and just sees the NBA as a business and players as product.

He sure was shocked, because he lost the premiere product of his company, but as a businessman he couldn't show it. His product would lose all its stock and especially without knowing if Jordan would come back he had to get back to business as soon as possible. They build up new stars within Jordan's hiatus from the NBA. Shaq, Penny and Grant Hill were good products and very marketable - also in Europe, because Jordan opened the market and people needed different stars anyway. People want to be different.