Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Mark Cuban yells at K-Mart's Mom...

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Kmart tried to confront Cuban who was shaking fans hands on the other side of the floor. As Kmart and Denver walked off he screamed to Cuban "You better walk that way! You better f*ckin walk that way!". If anyone knows his seat isnt too far from where Denver exited (which is past Dallas bench).

He made a blog apologizing but Kmart doesnt mess with the internet like that. Just kidding but I wouldnt be surprised. How do you apologize on a blog and expect someone to read if? Not like Kmart was reading your blogs as a fan.
    Yeah. I mean he said what he said in person to Martin's mother so the least he could do is apologise in person.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    Wow, can people read? The probablity increases if one is all of those things. Heck, sadly the probablity increases based upon race alone!
    ok ill try this one more time...

what makes a person a thug? i know those things increase the probability but what makes a person actually go from NOT a thug to being a thug?

Quote Originally Posted by CrabDribble
    Cuban released his apology today on his personal blog. Never heard of a situation like this before.
    because there are no other owners in all of professional sports that act the way cuban does.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    New reports claim a Mavs fan threw beer on KMarts mom last night.

yeah i heard this on the radio too.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    When? Wasnt during the game. Camera focused on her alot. If anything went down it would have been captured or atleast mentioned. And no one reacted after the game as players left the court. I call BS.
    I'm just going by ESPN reports about 4 minutes ago. They also claimed extra security was placed around KMarts mom, and Melo's fiance after the event.

Common-sense Cavs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mor'Fiyah
    I agree with much of what you have posted. Except for your insistence that a lot of what John Smith posted was true. I refuse to pass his prejudicial comments off as truth. Even if he comes to the right conclusion, but his path to said conclusion was completely wrong can we say its true?
    I think we are looking at what he is saying in 2 different ways now...

Some of the things he said were true in their terms, he just did not put the right qualifying words to go along with it, it was going beyond making generalized comments, and just labeling whole groups, he tried to doubleback and make them more specific.

Was he wrong in saying look at the prison population statistics? Are they or are they not predominantly black? Then in the second question how badly over represented are Blacks in prison? How skewed are the laws and court systems?

He agreed with certain comments.

The problem was the way he went about saying it, that's basically it. But hell we are on the internet and how often do we not catch sarcasm, or mistype a sentence, or leave out a word here or there.

Fiyah,

Basically, we have to say *** it, some people are naive, some are educated, some are stupid, some are open minded, some are closed, some are white, black, asian, hispanic, or bi-racial... But the point is we have them all in America so we deal with it you know? Some of J. Smith's comments made me think he was ignorant, but you have to read what he's saying and what type of person he is, and it's not hard to understand what he's saying. His view is not foreign to a lot of white folks.

Common-sense Cavs Fan

While I agree that society did indeed label Barack black it should also be noted that he also identifies as being black and married a black woman and has black kids. So I think its safe to say Barack is both percieved as a black man and identifies as a black man.
    Don't take this as ignorance on my behalf, it's a scenario...

If I marry a Black woman and my kids have brown skin I am black?

Ok let me put it this way then....

I married a black woman, and we have a brown skinned child, and I work in an all black school/community, and I can identity with the Black community more than the white, but I have white skin, am I Black?

When someone is raised Black, or if they are raised White, what does that mean?

I remember on a CNN special, they followed a mixed couple, White male and Black female, and they were having a problem because she wanted to raise them Black and he didn't get it. So my question does it mean to raise a child "Black"? How many modern people/children have been rasied "Black".

Quote Originally Posted by CrabDribble
    Cuban released his apology today on his personal blog. Never heard of a situation like this before.

Thats a cowardly way to offer an apology. Not to mention cheap. He should have confronted them face to face, and apologized to both of them. As a man, and a decent human being you face up to the things youve done, bad or good.

I have no respect for this man at this point. His antics have officially jumped the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs2007Champs
    I think we are looking at what he is saying in 2 different ways now...

Some of the things he said were true in their terms, he just did not put the right qualifying words to go along with it, it was going beyond making generalized comments, and just labeling whole groups, he tried to doubleback and make them more specific.

Was he wrong in saying look at the prison population statistics? Are they or are they not predominantly black? Then in the second question how badly over represented are Blacks in prison? How skewed are the laws and court systems?

He agreed with certain comments.

The problem was the way he went about saying it, that's basically it. But hell we are on the internet and how often do we not catch sarcasm, or mistype a sentence, or leave out a word here or there.

Fiyah,

Basically, we have to say *** it, some people are naive, some are educated, some are stupid, some are open minded, some are closed, some are white, black, asian, hispanic, or bi-racial... But the point is we have them all in America so we deal with it you know? Some of J. Smith's comments made me think he was ignorant, but you have to read what he's saying and what type of person he is, and it's not hard to understand what he's saying. His view is not foreign to a lot of white folks.
    We are going to have to disagree here. I am aware that many white Americans share those same opinions and that is why American society still has so many racial problems. Very few of his statements (if any were correct or true). Blacks only dominate the prison population in proportion to the overall population. But blacks and whites are within 4% of each other in prison population. Outside of prison there are likely far more whites who are criminals than blacks just because of the numbers alone. Proportions only mean that if you meet ten black people you are more likely to meet one who is a criminal than if you met ten white people. But it doesn't reflect on the likelihood of meeting a black criminal in the real world where whites far outnumber blacks. So his overall logic and argument is wrong. Just because he makes a statement that in isolation is true doesn't make the overall statement in context true.

In addition he repeatedly said things that were just blatantly racist. He literally said that just being black meant you were more likely to be a criminal or thug. He made a direct correlation between skin colour and crime. I don't know if one can be more racist than that. Its the view or acceptance that these statements have merit that cause much of the racial tension in America: the dynamic of minorities feeling that they live in a racially unequal environment and the majority thinking that this cry for wolf is over exaggerated.

What he said is very similar to the statement made in the media sometime ago where someone said that if you aborted all black babies you would eventually reduce crime. Is the statement itself in isolation true? Well yeah. But in context is it true? No. Aborting babies of ANY race will reduce crime. The race of the babies does not matter in the statement but by including it give the statement a different contextual meaning - that there is a relation between race and crime. There isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs2007Champs
    Don't take this as ignorance on my behalf, it's a scenario...

If I marry a Black woman and my kids have brown skin I am black?

Ok let me put it this way then....

I married a black woman, and we have a brown skinned child, and I work in an all black school/community, and I can identity with the Black community more than the white, but I have white skin, am I Black?

When someone is raised Black, or if they are raised White, what does that mean?

I remember on a CNN special, they followed a mixed couple, White male and Black female, and they were having a problem because she wanted to raise them Black and he didn't get it. So my question does it mean to raise a child "Black"? How many modern people/children have been rasied "Black".
    No you are not black. being raised black or being raised white means that you were raised to value and retain certain cultural DNA of those groups respectively. It does not play into your social identification though it may play a strong role in your self-identification.

In effect you are asking me what makes someone black or white right? You are black if you fit the social criteria for being labeled as being black AND you also identify as being black. Its the combination of social identification and self-identification (with the social identification having more weight perhaps - Tiger Woods is largely seen as a black golfer though he probably identifies as mixed based on his own comments).

Barack Obama both identifies as being black and probably culturally identifies as being black even if he was raised "white". I know this because of what he has said in his books and in his behaviour. Does he act like a middle aged white man to you?
    Last edited by Mor'Fiyah; 05-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Well, i apologize if i offended you or anyone else. I was just trying to get some conversation going. I have learned from it now...

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    Well, i apologize if i offended you or anyone else. I was just trying to get some conversation going. I have learned from it now...
    Oh its fine. In a weird way I actually respect you for saying what many white Americans are afraid to say. But unless people say these things and we hear these things then the discussion can't happen. Its all good bro!

National High School Star KRAYZIE's Avatar

Here's more on this situation:

Cuban apologizes to Martin & family

The treatment of Kenyon Martin's mother and the loved ones of other Nuggets during Game 4 was an embarrassment to the city of Dallas. Give Mark Cuban credit for recognizing that after seeing a scene in the AAC stands that took away from an otherwise sensational game. Cuban wrote a blog post that apologized for the comment he made to Lydia Moore, Martin's mom, and acknowledged the role that remark played in a situation that has escalated out of control. An excerpt from the post headlined, "An Apology to Kenyon Martin's Mom": When the series comes back to Dallas, your family, and the family of other Nuggets players are welcome to stay in my suite, with my family. Its amazing how tempers mellow when real people talk to each other and realize that its still just a game. If that isn't acceptable, I'm happy to provide a suite, free of charge to them as well and place whatever security is needed to make them feel comfortable. We tried to have enough additional security for them tonight as well, but I know your family and friends didn't feel as comfortable as they should. I apologize for that as well. This arena is my responsibility, we could and should do a better job. So if we can put this behind us, I will make sure when the series comes back to Dallas, your family and friends, and that of your teammates are very comfortable at our Arena. Then I hope we both take the advice of your coach and can get together this summer. Dinner for you and your family is on me.

National High School Star

Oh its fine. In a weird way I actually respect you for saying what many white Americans are afraid to say. But unless people say these things and we hear these things then the discussion can't happen. Its all good bro!
    It's always easier to say offensive things about an entire race of people behind a keyboard.

But you are correct that many hold these bias' & the League has stopped a lot of the physical play/fights & implemented a dress code because of it.

Although I understand the leagues/Sterns predicament there will always be idiots (like John Smith)who harbor these feelings no matter how the Players look/behave.

Banned

Cuban Mark is a sexist racist 4 sure