Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Will Brandon Roy be better than Kobe Bryant when career is done?

I think he will be. Roy looks like the type that can lead a team to the title as the best on the team.

Default Re: Will Brandon Roy be better than Kobe Bryant when career is done?

lol...

Banned

Nah.

Don't make topics like this. Nothing good can come of it. Nobody is able to talk about Kobe Bryant in the right way because it's impossible to do without bringing Jordan into the conversation. Don't make it so we can't talk about Roy without comparing him to guys like Kobe. He's a totally different player. He's much less skilled and is also less talented but approaches the game from a completely different mindset. They're just different kinds of players.

Anyway I think it'll be tough to have a better "career" than Kobe. Kobe has 3 rings, has had a 35ppg season, and will probably have 2 or 3 more rings before he's done with this squad. Roy could win some titles but never as many as Kobe has and he'll never have the numbers and he'll never be as skilled so nobody will ever give him credit for having a better "career."

Maybe, maybe, if Oden improves a lot and these two teams have some epic playoff duels and are both 60 win teams, and if Roy's team comes on top, then maybe he will be regarded as better by some. But it's very unlikely. And even then, people will just say Roy got Kobe past his prime, which will be true.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    lol...
    i LOLed too

Saw a basketball once

roy is 25 years old right now

I think its pretty clear Brandon Roy will be better than Kobe.

Several observers noted that Portland's play in the weeks leading up to the deadline had become less consistent, more fractured. After the deadline passed the team went on a roll again, culminating in the aforementioned March blitz. They had put themselves in position to make a serious bid for a mid-level playoff position, an achievement which would have been considered a long shot going into the season.

In their way, though, was a nasty little coda to the regular season: a stretch of 11 games against Western Conference opponents, 6 of whom sat directly in the tight-packed race with Portland. Only 5 of those 11 games were on the road, however, and only 2 of those road games were against playoff-caliber teams. Nevertheless the Blazers were walking a razor's edge. A couple losses meant the difference between 2nd place in the conference and 8th. The Blazers would have to dig deeper and pull out an amazing run to stay in the hunt.

Portland responded by winning 10 of those final 11 games, capturing a 54-28 record, tied with San Antonio and Denver behind only the conference-leading L*kers. Their sole loss in that stretch came on the road to the Houston Rockets, an event which would prefigure the coming post-season. Tiebreaker rules put Portland third in the triangle with the Nuggets and Spurs, leaving them the 4th seed with homecourt advantage in the first round against 5th place Houston.

Portland managed their astonishing record through fairly basic means. Their identity started on the boards, claiming defensive rebounds to limit opponent possessions and offensive rebounds to bolster their own scoring. They played an extremely efficient, though hardly high-octane, offensive game. They keyed off of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge putting pressure on the defense. If they were defended straight up the Blazers' stars scored. If the defense shifted to help, Portland's outside shooters made them pay or the centers got the team another possession off of the suddenly-available rebound. Everybody worked hard. Everybody trusted each other. Everybody hit the open shot.

On defense the Blazers relied on interchangeability and help. Few outside of the centers and rookie Nicolas Batum (now firmly ensconced in the starting lineup because of his defense) possessed overwhelming defensive ability. The guards in particular struggled with any scheme more complex than simply staying in front of their own man. So the Blazers switched often on picks and clogged the paint on all penetration, ceding jumpers and three-point shots, playing the percentages. Though the defense was not as effective as the offense the combination of length, rebounding, and occasional grit sufficed to get them through.

When in doubt, the ace in the hole remained as it had been since that glorious finish against Houston so early in the season: get the ball to Brandon Roy and depend on him to score. Time after time Brandon lived up to the challenge. When asked how he was playing at such a high level so early in his career, Roy answered with the following: Now this is a story all about how, my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I become the prince of a town called Bel-Air. In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days, chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool, and all shootin' some b-ball outside of the school when a couple of guys, who were up to no good started makin' trouble in my neighborhood, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.

Knicks 2010 Champs

It's very possible. It's certainly has a much much much much higher likelihood of happening than Kobe being better than MJ, which Kobe fans keep trying to push.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

ahahahahahahahahaha

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

i'll bite...the diff. between Roy and Kobe is a "feel" for the game. I touched on this in the JJ Redick thread.

National High School Star mattevans11's Avatar

some people need to lay off the drugs around here....

he will be good...but kobe????? GTFO man, try some easier drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    I think its pretty clear Brandon Roy will be better than Kobe.

Several observers noted that Portland's play in the weeks leading up to the deadline had become less consistent, more fractured. After the deadline passed the team went on a roll again, culminating in the aforementioned March blitz. They had put themselves in position to make a serious bid for a mid-level playoff position, an achievement which would have been considered a long shot going into the season.

In their way, though, was a nasty little coda to the regular season: a stretch of 11 games against Western Conference opponents, 6 of whom sat directly in the tight-packed race with Portland. Only 5 of those 11 games were on the road, however, and only 2 of those road games were against playoff-caliber teams. Nevertheless the Blazers were walking a razor's edge. A couple losses meant the difference between 2nd place in the conference and 8th. The Blazers would have to dig deeper and pull out an amazing run to stay in the hunt.

Portland responded by winning 10 of those final 11 games, capturing a 54-28 record, tied with San Antonio and Denver behind only the conference-leading L*kers. Their sole loss in that stretch came on the road to the Houston Rockets, an event which would prefigure the coming post-season. Tiebreaker rules put Portland third in the triangle with the Nuggets and Spurs, leaving them the 4th seed with homecourt advantage in the first round against 5th place Houston.

Portland managed their astonishing record through fairly basic means. Their identity started on the boards, claiming defensive rebounds to limit opponent possessions and offensive rebounds to bolster their own scoring. They played an extremely efficient, though hardly high-octane, offensive game. They keyed off of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge putting pressure on the defense. If they were defended straight up the Blazers' stars scored. If the defense shifted to help, Portland's outside shooters made them pay or the centers got the team another possession off of the suddenly-available rebound. Everybody worked hard. Everybody trusted each other. Everybody hit the open shot.

On defense the Blazers relied on interchangeability and help. Few outside of the centers and rookie Nicolas Batum (now firmly ensconced in the starting lineup because of his defense) possessed overwhelming defensive ability. The guards in particular struggled with any scheme more complex than simply staying in front of their own man. So the Blazers switched often on picks and clogged the paint on all penetration, ceding jumpers and three-point shots, playing the percentages. Though the defense was not as effective as the offense the combination of length, rebounding, and occasional grit sufficed to get them through.

When in doubt, the ace in the hole remained as it had been since that glorious finish against Houston so early in the season: get the ball to Brandon Roy and depend on him to score. Time after time Brandon lived up to the challenge. When asked how he was playing at such a high level so early in his career, Roy answered with the following: Now this is a story all about how, my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I become the prince of a town called Bel-Air. In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days, chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool, and all shootin' some b-ball outside of the school when a couple of guys, who were up to no good started makin' trouble in my neighborhood, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.
    lool nothing at all mentioned about B-Roy's accomplishments other than some one-sided comments.

No facts to back up Brandon Roy....Only the blazers.

the blazers did great yes, but this says nothing at all about Kobe or Brandon.

Banned

I think it is unfortunate for Roy that he is playing at this time. I think that the Blazers could be a dynasty at almost any other time other than the MJ years. But unfortunately as I said he is playing at the same time the Cavs are going to go on a huge title run spanning into or further than Roys prime years.

He could be a better all around player than Kobe though if we are talking about better and not greater. Kobe is a scorer, Roy could become a great player.

Saw a basketball once Downtown LA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    I think it is unfortunate for Roy that he is playing at this time. I think that the Blazers could be a dynasty at almost any other time other than the MJ years. But unfortunately as I said he is playing at the same time the Cavs are going to go on a huge title run spanning into or further than Roys prime years.

He could be a better all around player than Kobe though if we are talking about better and not greater. Kobe is a scorer, Roy could become a great player.
    this guy is too funny.