Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default If Cavs finish with 67-68 wins but fail to win the title..

Will people considering this a choke? I don't see how..alot of people are saying the Lakers will beat them in the finals if they were to meet...Lakers may well finish with close to the amount of wins as the Cavs but to win 67-68 wins and not win the title? would you see this as a failure even though alot here don't think the Cavs can beat L.A?

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: If Cavs finish with 67-68 wins but fail to win the title..

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Will people considering this a choke? I don't see how..alot of people are saying the Lakers will beat them in the finals if they were to meet...Lakers may well finish with close to the amount of wins as the Cavs but to win 67-68 wins and not win the title? would you see this as a failure even though alot here don't think the Cavs can beat L.A?
    Not really. They aren't exactly everyone's favorite to win it all. Plus the Lakers probably won't have much less wins, if less at all, then them. If they lose to anyone but the Lakers though, I think it might be a choke.

National High School Star

Not at all, they aren't favored to win it all this year. You can only call em chokers if they are up 2-0 or 3-1 and then blow it.

The Lakers are favored to win it all, if they don't win this year, it'll be two years in a row and then people will call them chokers.

I'm sure some people will try to paint it as such, but really I think most still have the Lakers as the favorites regardless of record, and the Celtics have about the same chance as the Cavs, they've just dropped a few with Garnett out.

If I were to estimate the chance of winning for various teams at this point it would be something like:

Lakers 40%
    Cavs 20%
    Celtics 20%
    Spurs 10%
    Other 10%

Only 2 teams who have won 65 games or more in the regular season have failed to win the title. One being the 1973 Celtics in the ECF in 7 games to the Knicks and the other one being the 2007 Mavs. In the Mavs case it was a choke the Celtics on the other hand lost to a great Knicks team while they were missing Hondo I believe. With the possibility of 4 teams finishing with 60+ wins this season I don't necessarily believe it will be considered a choke if the Cavs or LA lose to the Celtics, Magic or the Spurs. However it depends on the way you lose if they were to lose in the 1st round or get swept in any round that would be considered a choke job.

College star

I don't think so unless they make it to the FInals and choke a 3-0 lead away or something like that. Most people think the Lakers are the clear favorites for the the title and that even the Celtics will take the Cavs out.

Lets GO PENS!

don't make it to ECF=choke

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

If they lose in the first 2 rounds....yes. But they arent so far beyond the Celtics its a choke if they lose to them. Gotta consider how teams get the records they do. Celtics went like 7-7 or 7-6 without KG. With him back they are a different team. Teams arent always as good or bad as their record. Losing to last years champs who people for a long time said were actually better this year isnt a choke to me. Losing to anyone but them or LA probably is though. But the Magic arent pushovers either. And I wouldnt assume they crush the Spurs if they meet in the finals...

Kobe is the assassin KobeRules24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    If they win 67-68 games and still don't win the title with home court advantage in the finals it just proves that the east is not a superior conference like some people suggest. They played more games against teams under .500 than the lakers or spurs did this season (bobcats, nets, knicks, bulls, milwaukee, indiana, toronto, detroit and washington). that's 9 teams under .500 in the east!!! there are 6 teams under .500 in the west, there are only 6 teams over .500 in the east at this moment!!! i say the cavs are overrated, they win more games because they play against inferior competition more often than the lakers, spurs or rockets do for instance. cavs are still a good team but not as good as some people may think...cleveland would had loss more than 1 game at their homecourt if they were playing in the western conference.
    Last edited by KobeRules24; 03-25-2009 at 02:33 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

It would be considered a choke if they lose to a far inferior team or they blow huge leads such as being up 2-0 in a series or losing a 15+ point lead in an important game. But if they lose a well fought battle against the Celtics or Lakers, then it will not be a considered a choke (except for people that just want to hate on LeBron for any reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    It would be considered a choke if they lose to a far inferior team or they blow huge leads such as being up 2-0 in a series or losing a 15+ point lead in an important game. But if they lose a well fought battle against the Celtics or Lakers, then it will not be a considered a choke (except for people that just want to hate on LeBron for any reason).
    lebron will not win the title

owwwww

at those who think Cavs are getting out of the second round. What in Lebron's recent playoff history suggests that he will show up this time?

Cavs are the best team at beating teams they are supposed to beat (lottery, borderline/low seeded playoff teams), no realistic fan expects them to win against a healthy Magic or Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    at those who think Cavs are getting out of the second round. What in Lebron's recent playoff history suggests that he will show up this time?

Cavs are the best team at beating teams they are supposed to beat (lottery, borderline/low seeded playoff teams), no realistic fan expects them to win against a healthy Magic or Celtics.
    Um, the Cavs aren't going to be facing the Celtics or Magic in the second round....

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9

Co-sign

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KobeRules24
    lebron will not win the title
    Why did you quote me? I never said he would.