Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default New video on Dominique Wilkins. One of the greatest scoring machines in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3Ky_9Bipo

I discussed this in the Nique vs hayes topic(Hayes won by the way) but I felt it needed a little more..

Partly because the problem I think people have when it comes to Nique is my fault. Well not me personally. But people like me. In two ways. People who make videos and people who remember him from his prime and felt he was overrated at the time and because of it never bring him up as one of the greats the way his peers at the time are.

Dam near every video of Nique on youtube is dunk contest footage and dunks from superslams of the NBA and all that. which I understand. They are amazing plays. but they have put it into peoples minds that Nique was a dunker and not much else. Its reached a point where people made topics comparing modern guys to Nique as an insult.

And while I was annoyed by the claims he was as good as or better than Jordan, Bird, and Magic(and there were many such claims) I know he was no joke. And not someone to be compared to as an insult.

That guy had one of the meanest 15 feet and in games...ever. Mean post game. Best floaters in the NBA. hooks. Footwork. The pullup jumpers. And once he got 3 point range there was nothing to be done with him.

I was asked in another topic how people could think eh was Bird/MJ good...

And I think I understand it a bit. I mean...at the time(mid to late 80s) Bird had won with vastly better teams and MJ had won nothing at all.

Fans see MJ go t oAtlanta and drop 42...but Nique has 57. See he and Bird play and nique has 40/10/5/4

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...511010BOS.html

But Bird wins with the better team.

And then again:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...603140ATL.html

Nique has 43/6/3. Loses.

I can see how one would draw a conclusion that it wasnt just Nique being worse...it was his team being worse. And no doubt part of it was. I mean...if the Lakers drafted Nique instead of Worthy does anyone feel that Nique doesnt get that top 50 spot while Worthy more likely gets snubbed like he was?

Nique might have been scorning 25-30 a game next to magic towards the late 80s when Kareem was less of a factor and he would be remembered as a winner and not a...dunker who scored.

But he didnt get lucky.

He had his faults....but the man was a monster.

And he deserves more respect than to have Lebron called just another of him.

Hes probably the most disrespected in retrospect player I can remember. At least aside from Moses Malone(he was probably the best player in a league with Kareem, Magic, Bird, and Doc but nobody puts im on their level) and guys like Moncrief who nobody brings up one way or the other anymore.

And id like to see just how disrespected he is at the moment. So....

You can have:

Nique
    Melo
    Durant
    Pierce
    Vince carter
    Mcgrady

At the top of their games. 100% healthy. For a 5 year stretch. You get 5 years to do what you can to win.

Who do you want? And how many people here are taking Nique last?

Default Re: New video on Dominique Wilkins. One of the greatest scoring machines in history.

Little from the other topic that I feel is fitting:

He scored 32, 33, and 39ppg the last 3 months of one season. 39 was a short month yes but in a full month 2 years later in 1988...he scored 38ppg. 33/7 over the last 40 games. He put up 34/7/4 in March of 93. Nique was a fantastic scorer.

Just disgusting at times. He was scoring 29 a game at 34 years old on the Clippers.

Few games from a 20 game stretch he had:

49/12vs Philly, then 4 days later 45/7 vs the Bullets, 3 days later he had 51/6, then 38, 35, and 43 in 3 straight games. he had an off night with 32/8 in a win vs the Pacers then bounced back with 47/7 and 50/5 in back to back games vs Drexlers blazers and the Badboy pistons. He was then at 35 or more in 4 of the next 7 including back to back 40 point games that were both wins(Suns and Knicks).

Default Re: New video on Dominique Wilkins. One of the greatest scoring machines in history.

I take peak McGrady out of that bunch, then Nique.

Saw a basketball once

I think you might be overrating him.

Even though most of his shots were within 15 feet, he never shot 50%. His career FG% is 46% when the league average was around 48%. He was never a great 3 point shooter.

In the playoffs, he shot even worse, 43%. Don't great players play better or at least play to their season averages when the games mean more? He played worse.

Very good NBA starter

what happened to your kobe/lebron mixes?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaDaddy
    I think you might be overrating him.

Even though most of his shots were within 15 feet, he never shot 50%. His career FG% is 46% when the league average was around 48%. He was never a great 3 point shooter.

In the playoffs, he shot even worse, 43%. Don't great players play better or at least play to their season averages when the games mean more? He played worse.
    Except FG% doesn't mean shit. Moving on..
    Wish he had a better supporting cast
    Last edited by knightfall88; 11-06-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Nique has the highest points scored in a game vs Jordan, and unless I'm forgetting someone he's the only player to avg 30 in a playoff series vs Jordan.

Haven't watched the vid but I'm assuming his gamesaving block on MJ in 93 isnt there.

Beat Jordan in the 85 dunk contest.

Basically what I'm saying is after guys like Magic Bird and Hakeem he's the only player of the Jordan era that I thought could go toe to toe with Jordan and hold his own...to an extent.

Know why Nique isn't respected?

Was injured so missed the Dream Team. Doesnt have a fanbase that sings his praises(Atlanta...)

and didnt win or play in memorable playoff series, but I'm confident if he played with Ewing in New York he would be held up there like a diety
    Last edited by eliteballer; 11-06-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Peak Nique vs Peak Bernard King vs Peak Drexler who you guys got?

Wilkins in his prime is just as good a scorer as Jordan. Less arsenal but he was bigger and very athletic. Very entertaining to watch him put on a show.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Durant
    Nique
    Melo
    Pierce
    McGrady
    Carter

I'm assuming you're referring to the 5 year peaks during their career. Durant will quite easily be the best of the bunch, and McGrady was an inefficient chucker sans 03.

Agree with KBlaze..Nique was tha mantis in his day.Not to many pure scrers in his class.And yes I know his defence was suspect but give credit to one of the tru scorers

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Durant
    Nique
    Melo
    Pierce
    McGrady
    Carter

I'm assuming you're referring to the 5 year peaks during their career. Durant will quite easily be the best of the bunch, and McGrady was an inefficient chucker sans 03.

Meanwhile...Dantley was putting up 30 on 58%, Aguirre 30 on 50, Kiki 29 on 56, and Alex english like 30 on 50%...all while generally being considered worse than Nique.

Shooting percentage isnt, wasnt, and never will be an accurate measure of greatness or even offensive ability. Nobody at the time was worried about Nique putting up 31 a game on "only" 47% shooting. Just like nobody at the time would have said this:

McGrady was an inefficient chucker sans 03.
    Of Mcgrady.

People just suddenly decided to go crazy over these numbers in like...2007. And use it to make points nobody would have made at the time because nobody needs them to see who plays the best.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

More skilled version than Iggy IMO. He was rocking up n under's, just like me in NBA 2K12

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Nique has the highest points scored in a game vs Jordan, and unless I'm forgetting someone he's the only player to avg 30 in a playoff series vs Jordan.

Haven't watched the vid but I'm assuming his gamesaving block on MJ in 93 isnt there.

Beat Jordan in the 85 dunk contest.

Basically what I'm saying is after guys like Magic Bird and Hakeem he's the only player of the Jordan era that I thought could go toe to toe with Jordan and hold his own...to an extent.

Know why Nique isn't respected?

Was injured so missed the Dream Team. Doesnt have a fanbase that sings his praises(Atlanta...)

and didnt win or play in memorable playoff series, but I'm confident if he played with Ewing in New York he would be held up there like a diety
    damn you're obsessed