Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ISH Jump Crew

Default Long Range Shots

How can I develop more power for my shot? I'm 15, and have been lifting weights, and hitting the gym a bit recently, but whenever I go out to the 3 point line my shots not normal. Its more like I'm throwing it up, rather than using my shot I have been trying to develop from mid-range game. Do I just need to venture out there more and I'll get better, or build up my legs to be stronger, or my arms? Its been really bugging me, and I want to get my long range game a lot better. Thanks.

Local High School Star Sicknote's Avatar

Default Re: Long Range Shots

I have this same problem and I'm physically stronger than the people I play with. It makes me feel like an idiot when I chuck up a prayer while they let it go so smooth, I know it's not my strength, so I'm confused!

ISH Jump Crew

Same here man, thats my problem. Its so frustrating...we need help.

i'm 20 years old man,i lift a lot of heavy stuff(i work in the restaurant for like 6 years everyday,i can lift dirty dishes and heavy meat easily)but i got the same problem here,i can shoot 20fter easily,but as long as i go out to the 3 point line,i feel like i never gonna make it,and i barely shoot FT without jumping,i feel so embarassing when i have a open look then end up air ball

I usually hit open layups BostonsAccent's Avatar

Your form can't be correct. Find a video teaching basketball shooting form, and mock it. If your chucking up a shot from the 3pt line, there has to be something terribly wrong with your form.

McCants is Available!!

I'm a shooter so I can give you some tips. When I was around that age I had the same problem. Basically all you need to do is to continuosly shoot from where you are comfortable and keep moving back. You have to have confidence. Shoot it the exact same way every time. I suggest you find a jump rope because it's all about the legs. Try doing calf raises as well. Don't go too hard on the weights because adding too much muscle can throw your shot off.

ISH Jump Crew

Gotcha, thanks. I can also try and get a video of my shot. Its not weird or anything, but we'll see.

McCants is Available!!

Yeah then we can maybe dissect it and find out how we can improve it.

ISH Jump Crew

Well I took a clip, but tried to upload and its in .MOV format. Quicktime plays it really slow, to where you just here audio, and no video. So I guess I can't show it. uhg...

I gotta agree with Mr_Basketball. I used to have the same problem that you guys are describing when I was in HS. I have always had a really smooth stroke, but once I got out around the 3pt line, I didnt have enough power behind my shot, and I had to compensate by messing up my shooting form.

What he said about practicing within your range is very important. Figure out how far away you can get while keeping a smooth shot, and practice from that distance. You will slowly find that you feel comfortable shooting farther and farther away.

Another thing I used to do was lay in my bed with only my shooting arm extended, holding a basketball. I would practice my release by flicking the ball up and trying to get as close to the celing without hitting it, catch the ball in your shooting hand when it comes back down, and once your hand is balanced, shoot it again, do this over and over and you really start to feel the muscles in your hand and wrist working. Doing this excercise really helped strengthen my release.

I think the most important thing is dont waste your time shooting shots that are out of your range. If you are trying to practice, and end up modifying your release and shot to compensate for lack of power, you are going to mess up your shot. Just practice your release, and if you want to hit the gym, hit your tri-ceps, back and legs.
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 07-23-2008 at 09:25 PM.

ISH Jump Crew

Note taken, Keyless.

Got the video. I had to stand in the sun, or else its in my eyes really bad (I usually wait till sundown to go out and shoot).

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=P1000518.flv

Your release looks fine. Just keep practicing the shots you know you can make, and the range will come as you get older and stronger.

Saw a basketball once

Er, your release isn't perfect. You look like you're shooting with both hands, as in, your left hand seems to be "flicking" as well. Practice just leaving your left hand there while your right hand shoots it. Your left hand is only there to keep the ball in your hands, you can't catch and shoot with one hand.

Also I realized your motion is different from the guys I know. You bring the ball up as you bend your knees. If you want a little more power, leave the ball in your shooting pocket as your bending your knees, so don't bring the ball up to your head yet. Leave it there as you lower yourself for power. Finally bring the ball up, jump and release at the same time.

Here's a picture of your shooting pocket in case you didn't understand :

ISH Jump Crew

k thanks, I'll try that tommorow.

As for shooting with my left hand, I don't put up any power with it, its just a habit to flick it like the right hand.

do form shooting two feet in front of the basket EVERY DAY for 20 minutes plus

as you get better, do your form shooting from farther, and farther, and farther

the pros do form shooting from 17 feet (probably more) without bending their knees. that's how i added range to my shot, and that's how i was taught to add range to my shot