Local High School Star

Default Twitter: Toronto approved for DLeague Team

Awesome.

Given the type of team Masai seems to build a DLeague team is an absolute must.

Bruno and Noreiga both need sustained development time; let alone any of the next 3 draft picks and the power forward in Australia that is showing promise.

I assume it is the Rochester franchise they were kicking the tires on last season.

Opinion: I would actually prefer if the Raps had considered "sharing" a DLeague franchise ideally with a western conference team. Denver, Portland, Houston, Dallas, Minny New Orleans....

I am sure we could find a reasonable location like Cincinnati, Nashville etc that met the "geographic desires of two franchises.

Rationale is that a shared team would have greater depth of "almost ready for prime time" NBA players elevating the bench level talent sparking these guys to see other players of equivalent capability.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Twitter: Toronto approved for DLeague Team

GTA ??

GTA ??

Really ??

--

Ryan Wolstat: Sources say D-League team in GTA for next year is the goal but far from a certainty. Makes sense, since Masai had been making that clear. Twitter @WolstatSun - See more at: http://*********.com/rumors/tag/toro....JiC4FlsW.dpuf

GTA was the obvious choice. Short ride to home, in the case of a recall and reassignment and they'll get some Canadian D-League players on the team.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    GTA was the obvious choice. Short ride to home, in the case of a recall and reassignment and they'll get some Canadian D-League players on the team.
    Yea .. all that ~ fair point.

Maybe I didnt consider the develop Canadians angle. Some sort of partnership with Basketball Canada.

But tax issues too. Player transfers / home games / etc. It is more complicated even for the players you will never bring up to the big team.

Plus where ? Minor Hockey has an abysmal record in GTA with the possible exception of the Oshawa Generals. Mississagua, Brampton, St Michaels.. no one seems to support D league hockey.

I dont know all about the Marlies financial position but I don't think they are that hot a ticket. The Marlies came out of Newfoundland to keep other NHL teams out of the GTA market ( rumors - Eugene M owner of the Ottawa Senators) not because MLSE was somehow looking to reward fans.

And thats Hockey.. supposedly our Toronto area National Sport.

D League Bball ?

Hamilton ?

I didnt think they would try to stock a whole team themselves.

I was pretty convinced it was Syracuse cause of last years rumor.
    Last edited by Jballer; 06-03-2015 at 03:32 PM.