Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Seriously... Does Lebron hold this dunk record?

The only player to both dunk over someone in a real NBA game clear and clean, AND dunk from the free throw line? I don't think MJ has done either in a real game.

Banned

Default Re: Seriously... Does Lebron hold this dunk record?

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    The only player to both dunk over someone in a real NBA game clear and clean, AND dunk from the free throw line? I don't think MJ has done either in a real game.
    WTF u talking about

dont use drugs

lebron never dunked from the free throw line

Banned

Banned

Do you mean the dunk over 5ft John Lucas III? That dunk is overrated.. Nope Lebron didnt dunk in the Free throw line in game.. Lebron is overrated dunker, dude cant even participate in dunk contest..

He Is I and I Am Him Wavy Crockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I LUV KOBE
    Do you mean the dunk over 5ft John Lucas III? That dunk is overrated.. Nope Lebron didnt dunk in the Free throw line in game.. Lebron is overrated dunker, dude cant even participate in dunk contest..
    He did actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLUvMNRQ-o It was a step in but I'm sure he could do it anyway. He's also never been the creative type, at least in game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1yOsiWUuWI

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Thank you...

Even if it wasn't from the free throw, how many other dunks were as close as this one in a real nba game?
    samuel dalembert says hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i639wJl91Wc

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dwluv3333
    And Vince Carter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn3e07yHCTM#t=0m14s

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Crockett
    He did actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLUvMNRQ-o It was a step in but I'm sure he could do it anyway. He's also never been the creative type, at least in game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1yOsiWUuWI
    That's what everybody said he NEVER did it! Maybe he could but he didn't do it

NBA Superstar

Also, I must say, the conditions of this record (I use that term loosely) appear to be a little limited. The only player to both dunk over a leaning 5'11'' point guard looking the wrong way and almost jump from the free throw line in-game? Perhaps.

Then again, does that mean Michael Jordan holds the record as the only player to both rock-the-cradle against the Knicks and dunk on Kelly Tripucka in separate games?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The only player to both dunk over a leaning 5'11'' point guard looking the wrong way and almost jump from the free throw line in-game? Perhaps.
    The only thing is that if it was as easy as everybody tries to make it seem, nobody other than Lebron has done it. Also, he had to catch it off an alley. That gave it a bump in degree of difficulty for me. I've never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    lebron never dunked from the free throw line
    Lebron took of and dunked from further away than ANYBODY in NBA history (IN-GAME dunking history) with this one:

Lebron is also the first in NBA history to literally speaking JUMP over a human and dunk and better yet actually do an Alley-Oop dunk.....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Lebron took of and dunked from further away than ANYBODY in NBA history (IN-GAME dunking history) with this one:

Lebron is also the first in NBA history to literally speaking JUMP over a human and dunk and better yet actually do an Alley-Oop dunk.....

Vince Carter jumping over Weiss in the Olympics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron jumping over Lucas.

And that's an understatement.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    The only thing is that if it was as easy as everybody tries to make it seem, nobody other than Lebron has done it. Also, he had to catch it off an alley. That gave it a bump in degree of difficulty for me. I've never seen anything like it.
    LeBron is an amazing athlete and he's completed some legendary dunks, but to play devil's advocate, that specific jam was dependent upon a ton of outside variables that'd leave even the best of the best unable to attempt to duplicate such a feat, even if they were more than capable.

From one side of the coin, in the LeBron near-free throw takeoff, LeBron was in complete control of being in the open floor, striding out, and taking off. When Gerald Green windmilled an alley-oop, that's Green opting to catch the lob, then perform the windmill itself before slamming it home. So on and so forth. Each player had an open canvas and were free to do as they pleased. Those dunks can be copied as seen fit. They can only occur if other dunkers are as talented, but they can happen more less whenever a dunker decides to attempt.

In contrast, the only real thing LeBron was in control of in that alley-oop was the dunk itself, which was a relatively mundane one-hand dunk (by James' standards). The unique circumstance was there happened to be a leaning 5'11'' point guard looking in the opposite direction under the basket while a 6'9'' high leaper had the opportunity to attack the basket without having to worry about taking the ball up with them. One point being, it's not exactly a scenario that's presented itself to other dunkers throughout history. If I had to guess, I believe a significant portion of high risers would have been able to duplicate such a flush if given the opportunity. That doesn't mean James doesn't deserve props for the execution, far from it in fact. I'm just saying it's not as if that scenario had presented itself thousands of times throughout history and James was the first one to succeed. It was a pretty unique opportunity.

The other point is it really wasn't that spectacular of a dunk. It was neat to look at, but I'm relatively confident I could select 10 other LeBron jams I'd prefer over the Lucas one. Put a leaning Lucas down there, a couch, a ball rack, Rashard Lewis bending at the waist with a shooter shirt over his head, it's all the same. It's still just a relatively normal one-handed slam dependent upon a unique set of circumstances.

I feel as though I swung too far in the other direction. It was a special dunk. But it just wasn't as mind-bending to me as some have suggested.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.