Page 1 of 89 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Football

Default Football

Not happy that the Boys have decided to pass on Dalvin Cook.... they have the money to do it.

49ers went and got Christian McCaffrey and got to the NFC championship game. Cowboys need to make a similar move to compete with that.

Tony Pollard is not an every down back, coming off injury, and Deuce Vaughn is 5'6".

pick up Dalvin Cook and we are good to go... the guy has another 1-2 years at the elite RB level unlike Zeke.

Also... DeAndre Hopkins still out there as a FA.

Default Re: The 2023 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    Tony Pollard is not an every down back, coming off injury, and Deuce Vaughn is 5'6".
    I forgot we signed Ronald Jones II... we will need him.

Anyways... not much to talk about this year until the Boys make the playoffs... which is 6 months away.

It would be nice if they found a way to capture that #1 seed... but the bottom line is that the Cowboys gotta get past the Divisional and into the NFC championship.

If we make it to the playoffs... which I imagine we will, those games are going to be very intense for Dallas fans.

It's going to be hard to get hyped up for regular season football, but we obviously still need to put up a good season.

But... if Dallas can find a way to get home game in the playoffs... I'm probably gonna have to buy tickets.

Not happy that the Boys have decided to pass on Dalvin Cook.... they have the money to do it.
    do you boys fans never learn anything? after spending a 4th overall (a pick that could have been Jalen Ramsay, who is still arguably the best corner in the league while zeke was just cut) and then dumping 6yrs/90m into zeke elliot you still think that an expensive flashy RB is your missing ingredient for success? How many recent superbowl champs have expensive RBs?

49ers went and got Christian McCaffrey and got to the NFC championship game. Cowboys need to make a similar move to compete with that.
    The real reasons the niners were successful last year was the defense and the coaching... Who were the niners RBs when they made it to the NFC champ game in 2021? Who were the niners RBs when they made it to the superbowl in 2019?

If you want to win in the NFL you need an elite QB and an elite defense... investing resources into RB is the worst thing you could possibly do
    Last edited by Nanners; 06-20-2023 at 04:42 AM.

Nanners... I think it depends on how much Dalvin Cook costs.

I'm not wanting to overspend on Cook... but if he's not going to get paid top dollar by another team (which remains to be seen)... Why not sign him if we can can get a good deal?

I agree with your point, but the Cowboys have always had good results when the RBs are great ... Tony Dorsett & Emmitt Smith.

It's just our style of football.

Also... last time the Cowboys got the #1 seed, was when we had elite Zeke his rookie season (who lost a step soon after)... Cowboys won 11 games in a row back in 2016, largely due to Zeke (because he had speed).

The only great thing about Zeke his last few years is that he was durable and was good at pass protection... other than that he was the wrong man for the job, he was slow as f*ck, and Jerry just simply invested in the wrong player, not the wrong position.

Dalvin Cook still has a burst... and he's going to average 4.5 yards a carry as opposed to Zeke's 3.8.... Defenses did not respect our running game with Zeke in the backfield... but they will w/ Cook.

losing Tony Pollard to injury in 1st half against the 49ers was a huge blow... maybe the outcome would be different had he stayed healthy.

If it happens again, I don't like the idea of Ronald Jones II leading the way in the backfield... especially in a playoff game.

Unfortunately we are committed to Dak for a few more years... so yes, I want a great RB next to him because it's clear Dak's passing attack on it's own can't be trusted.

Nanners... I think it depends on how much Dalvin Cook costs.

I'm not wanting to overspend on Cook... but if he's not going to get paid top dollar by another team (which remains to be seen)... Why not sign him if we can can get a good deal?

I agree with your point, but the Cowboys have always had good results when the RBs are great ... Tony Dorsett & Emmitt Smith.

It's just our style of football.

Also... last time the Cowboys got the #1 seed, was when we had elite Zeke his rookie season (who lost a step soon after)... Cowboys won 11 games in a row back in 2016, largely due to Zeke (because he had speed).
    The reason the cowboys went 13-3 in 2016 was because of a rookie (the rookie of the year), but that player wasnt Zeke... it was their previously unheard of QB who somehow turned into a winning lottery ticket with 29 total TDs vs just 4 INTs on 105 qb rating

The only great thing about Zeke his last few years is that he was durable and was good at pass protection... other than that he was the wrong man for the job, he was slow as f*ck, and Jerry just simply invested in the wrong player, not the wrong position.

Dalvin Cook still has a burst... and he's going to average 4.5 yards a carry as opposed to Zeke's 3.8.... Defenses did not respect our running game with Zeke in the backfield... but they will w/ Cook.
    Jerry absolutely invested in the wrong position. Name a recent superbowl winner that invested a high draft pick or an excessive amount of money into RB. Jerry has not been a good judge of talent since the 90s (at best), and despite receiving some of the gifts that have been highly associated with winning in recent years (like a high end QB on a cheap contract) he has repeatedly made it crystal clear that he has no idea what it takes to build a contender in the modern era.

In the 2016 draft the cowboys spent their 4th overall pick on a RB and had a rookie of the year QB... in the 6 years that followed their division rival eagles have made the playoffs 5 times and made the superbowl twice - with narrow loss against a great chiefs team in 2022, and one of the greatest wins of all time vs a Tom Brady Patriot team in 2017...

TBH you should be celebrating the fact that the boys didnt sign Cook to a ~$12m/yr deal, it shows that maybe Jerry might be getting a clue finally.

losing Tony Pollard to injury in 1st half against the 49ers was a huge blow... maybe the outcome would be different had he stayed healthy.

If it happens again, I don't like the idea of Ronald Jones II leading the way in the backfield... especially in a playoff game.

Unfortunately we are committed to Dak for a few more years... so yes, I want a great RB next to him because it's clear Dak's passing attack on it's own can't be trusted.
    Do you really think having Tony Pollard in the second half would have changed anything in that game? The 9ers had one of the best defenses in the league, Pollard had 6 carries for 22 yards while he was on the field... IMO the real reason the boys lost was due to terrible coaching and the fact that they just got ground down by the 9ers elite defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    TBH you should be celebrating the fact that the boys didnt sign Cook to a ~$12m/yr deal, it shows that maybe Jerry might be getting a clue finally.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

Cap Space (w/Top 51) = $24,130,354
    All I'm saying is we currently have $24 million in cap space... I would rather spend it on something as opposed to doing nothing. Cook seems like the best option considering Tony Pollard is not an every down back, Ronald Jones is a spare part, and Deuce Vaughn is 5'6".

if there is a better way to spend up our remaining cap space on short term deal for a player that will have an immediate impact... then I'm all for it... But what player and what position?

Otherwise we restructured Dak's contract for what reason? No reason at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    in the 6 years that followed their division rival eagles have made the playoffs 5 times and made the superbowl twice
    and now they have Rashaad Penny and D’Andre Swift... which means they are going to better in the Running Game next year.

I understand what you are saying... RB shouldn't be the focal point... but in this particular situation, adding Cook for 2 years wouldn't be a terrible move.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

All I'm saying is we currently have $24 million in cap space... I would rather spend it on something as opposed to doing nothing. Cook seems like the best option considering Tony Pollard is not an every down back, Ronald Jones is a spare part, and Deuce Vaughn is 5'6".

if there is a better way to spend up our remaining cap space on short term deal for a player that will have an immediate impact... then I'm all for it... But what player and what position?
    If I was GM I'd spend that money on the defense... and as far as specific players to target id probably start with Clowney - a solid edge rusher who will a respectable number of sacks, but his biggest strength is that he plays very smart and never ever gets beat by the run, hes an all-around rock solid dude to have the line and he makes the whole defense better at everything. John Johnson would be another guy that I'd take over Cook, the boys are rather thin at safety and Johnson is underrated (partially because his name is so whack that nobody remembers it).

and now they have Rashaad Penny and D’Andre Swift... which means they are going to better in the Running Game next year.
    Both of these signings just prove my point - Penny's contract is for $2m and Swifts is for $1.7m... this is exactly what the Cowboys should do - sign a couple promising RBs in the $1-2m range, and then spend your big money on important positions like QB, D line, secondary, OL, and receivers.

I understand what you are saying... RB shouldn't be the focal point... but in this particular situation, adding Cook for 2 years wouldn't be a terrible move.
    you dont understand what I am saying, because unless they can get him for pennies on the dollar it would be a terrible move... unless you are a team like SF that is massively stacked at the important positions you shouldnt be investing significant resources into a RB
    Last edited by Nanners; 07-30-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Dalvin Cook is signing a one-year deal with the New York Jets, His contract is worth up to $8.6 million.

The player we needed for 2023 just went to the Jets.... a 1 year deal btw.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Trey Lance is now a cowboy. Strange trade they already have Dak and Cooper Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy View Post
    Trey Lance is now a cowboy. Strange trade they already have Dak and Cooper Rush.
    Salary Cap minded... With Micah Parsons and CeeDee Lamb contracts coming up, Resigning Dak is pretty much out of the question after these next two seasons.

The irony here w/ this trade... being w/ the 49ers,... is that Dak is responsible for the loss against the 49ers.

We can build around Micah, hope that he's the 2nd coming of LT, try to create something special with the defense, and maybe we can get lucky with a cheaper QB and hit on our future draft picks.

We are not letting Micah Parsons sign somewhere else... and Lamb is staying too.

If Dak can win a Divisional Playoff Game... get us to the NFC championship... Jerry should find a way to resign, but if not we have to be prepared to let him walk.

idk how much it will cost to resign Lance in 2025, but it should be a quarter of the price Dak will be asking for.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default NFL Season Discussion Thread: 2023

Season starts in about a week.

Mods, please sticky. Football forum is basically dead so I will make a thread here.

Super bowl predictions anyone?

Default Re: NFL Season Discussion Thread: 2023

Sleeper Team AFC: Titans (35/1 odds)

Sleeper Team NFC: Seahawks (60/1 odds)

Kansas City probably wins the whole thing again barring any serious injury to Mahomes or Kelce. The AFC is loaded this year, so it should be fun

In the NFC? Could be a bit of a toss up between Philly running it back or San Fran despite losing Demeco Ryans. I do not believe in Dallas, and never will.

Down year for the NFC. The NFC South is ass cheeks with Brady gone now.

I got one more Fantasy Draft tomorrow. 12 Teams.

serious business.

3 leagues this year... in 2023 it's more about bragging rights than it is the money.... Although it would be nice to win some extra Christmas $ this year.