Default Wizards offense this season

So, looks like Playoff Wittman is here to stay

Observations:

-Wall is holding the ball less, and the Wiz as a team are making smart passes. This allows Wall to catch the ball in triple-threat more often, where he easily blows by people

-Beal is playing like a scoring wing instead of a combo guard. He look so much more comfortable playing this way

-Porter is a great ball-mover and general passer. Great sense of timing and space. He's shooting 75% at the rim this year (same % he shot there last year)

-Gortat has been pretty mediocre, but since Nene has been coming off the bench we have at least had space when Gortat plays

If this team had even a decent stretch 4, They would be my favorite in the East. Humphries is mediocre, and I haven't seen enough Dudley to make a call.

Default Re: Wizards offense this season

Front court is kind of shit. Nice backcourt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Front court is kind of shit. Nice backcourt though.
    Yup. Gortat is a decent defender. Everyone else is below average on both sides of the ball.

Why is has there been a slip in their defensive numbers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Why is has there been a slip in their defensive numbers ?
    Playing smaller is one reason. Beal has played some 3. Humphris, Porter, and dudley have played the 4 (and dejuan Blair in one game). Plus the new offense led to a lot of turnovers so far, and possessions off turnovers result in the highest average PPP of any type of way to get the ball. Even Offensive rebounds IIRC. The set up defense hasn't looked too bad.

I'm really impressed with Otto Porter on the offensive end. He does a lot of things that contribute to clean, professional offense. Most Wizards turnovers his season have come from transitioning to a more aggressive, riskier scheme on offense.

Also, referring back to my original post about Wall getting the ball without using his dribble. I've wanted to see him for YEARS attack out of that position, playing a bit more like Kobe. Next up, getting him in the post on smaller guards.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 11-05-2015 at 04:47 PM.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Playing smaller is one reason. Beal has played some 3. Humphris, Porter, and dudley have played the 4 (and dejuan Blair in one game). Plus the new offense led to a lot of turnovers so far, and possessions off turnovers result in the highest average PPP of any type of way to get the ball. Even Offensive rebounds IIRC. The set up defense hasn't looked too bad.

I'm really impressed with Otto Porter on the offensive end. He does a lot of things that contribute to clean, professional offense. Most Wizards turnovers his season have come from transitioning to a more aggressive, riskier scheme on offense.

Also, referring back to my original post about Wall getting the ball without using his dribble. I've wanted to see him for YEARS attack out of that position, playing a bit more like Kobe. Next up, getting him in the post on smaller guards.
    Any chance Beal becomes an all star this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Any chance Beal becomes an all star this year?
    Right now I'd put my money on Wall, Lowry, and Derozan being in. Teague may make it if Atlanta has a really good record. Beal will be fighting for the 3rd/4th guard spot with Teague and Wade probably.

Like I said earlier, I predict his ppg to drop off a bit to right around where Derozan is. He's hit a lot of floaters, and has been really good shooting off the dribble so far, and I'm not sure how much of that is permanent and how much is him being hot right now. It's a possibility that Wittman opening up the offense is just allowing him more freedom to do stuff that he could have done before, but was awkward in doing because of the gameplan.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 11-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Watched the Spurs game, I got to say Wall is very good and if you put him on better teams they'd be contenders. Wall would fit very well when Durant goes to Washington next free agency.

I think Nene is very unappreciated, he is one of the best back to basket power forwards, plays grown man post game.

All in all, it seems to me that this team would be better on different teams, they don't really fit that well together, but piece by piece they could be very good.

Banned

Their offense is basically John Wall holding the ball for 15-20 seconds while everyone on their team morphs into bail-out shooters (ie. bradley beal)

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Their offense is basically John Wall holding the ball for 15-20 seconds while everyone on their team morphs into bail-out shooters (ie. bradley beal)
    You haven't watched a single one of their games this season.

That MAY have been true last season, but it is decidedly not this year. Beal is creating more of his own offense than he ever has. Wall is holding the ball less than he ever has.

How are you going to hate on Wall for last season, when BronBron has done that his entire career?