Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Kareem Abdul Jabbar on Lamar Odom situation with Dallas

If Lamar truly felt this way, the right thing to do would have been to agree on a lowered buyout release (with the Lakers) and take his year off.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    He's really not. He just doesn't like the media and attention. Magic is the opposite.
    Wat ? Magic is a good guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    Wat ? Magic is a good guy too.
    He meant the media stuff not that he is a douche.

KAJ was often criticized because he was too distant and his game wasn't exactly dynamic. He was also accused of not trying his hardest and being lazy on defense.

Basically your average superstar criticisms.

The Muslim/black-power thing worked against him early on but I don't think that was what really killed Kareem's image. He just wasn't interested in being liked. Kareem had a short way of answering questions. He would often ignore people or just stare back at them which made them feel stupid. He was intimidating to a lot of people because of this. Kareem was weary of people he didn't know and didn't trust them which is understandable when you consider what was going on in society during the 60s.

Times have changed and he is trying to open up more and I'm really happy to see that. He's such a legendary player and a rare, interesting person. I wish people would forgive the past and cut him some slack. Just because you are famous doesn't mean that your personality is cut out for that kind of attention and scrutiny. If I were famous I'm sure I'd be considered a huge a**hole. There aren't a lot of Magic Johnson's out there.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    I wish some of the older guys would speak on why Kareem was so disliked during his playing days. He always seemed like an introvert, but an intelligent introvert. A thinking man that understood far, far more about the world than just basketball. What am I missing? Is it because he didn't go around high-fiving guys and pandering to the media?

He just didn't seem like a bad guy to me.
    All they'll say is that he was just so much better than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist
    All they'll say is that he was just so much better than everyone else.
    NBA all-time leading scorer, I'm just saying. What current guy is better than him, Dwight?

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    NBA all-time leading scorer, I'm just saying. What current guy is better than him, Dwight?
    Kareem is my all time favorite athlete, I see him as the GOAT, just saying.

KAJ = GOAT, just saying.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 824
    Everyone is human buddy, not everyone has the distorted view of money you seem to have, especially people who have had lots of it for a while, they understand that it's meaningless. I don't know how in the **** you loons equate being grateful for having a job that he worked his ass off to be able to do, that people willingly pay to see for THEIR entertainment not his, advertising revenue from companies PROFITING from said campaigns, etc. with having a rough time with some tough times. GROW UP.

Shit happens buddy. Part of being a grown man is dealing with shitty situations and continuing to put one foot in front of the other.

I don't even know where you're trying to go with this entertainment and advertising revenue bullshit. I could work my ass off to become a rocket scientist, that doesn't give me the right to fck off after I've got the job.

You sign a contract, you do the job. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Why have you met Kareem?
    Unfortunately over 100 times.......I try to avoid the A-Hole.

Decent college freshman

I posted this story once before in a thread about KAJ, but it is relevant to this.

When my dad was a teenager he worked as a bell boy at a hotel in Milwaukee. He carried KAJ's bags to his room one day and when he was finished he asked for an autograph. Not only did KAJ not give the autograph, he gave no tip, and then he laughed and slammed the door in my dad's face. Asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    He's really not. He just doesn't like the media and attention. Magic is the opposite.
    Obviously you never met him, when I bring up his name to anyone who has met him there is never 1 decent thing anyone has to say about him......it's extremely well known. Ex players really hate the guy. When Magic said KAJ didn't even speak to him at all their first 5 years together I was actually shocked.......then again I shouldn't have been. Who the hell doesn't love Magic, he's one of the greatest people ever......seriously.
    I first met Kareem in the early 70's, last saw him 4 years ago I think. Always a classless rude self absorbed A-Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    I posted this story once before in a thread about KAJ, but it is relevant to this.

When my dad was a teenager he worked as a bell boy at a hotel in Milwaukee. He carried KAJ's bags to his room one day and when he was finished he asked for an autograph. Not only did KAJ not give the autograph, he gave no tip, and then he laughed and slammed the door in my dad's face. Asshole.
    Damn, really ?

Which year in the 70's was that ? I think he was a young, arrogant guy, I'm sure he's different now... though, reading DKLaker meeting with him, that doesn't seem to be the case.