Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: All-time GOAT Shooting guard number 5

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    In what way exactly? The only edge Iverson has is volume scoring. Drexler was more efficient, a significantly better rebounder and defender, and I'd argue just as good a passer and playmaker. Prime Drexler was putting up 27/8/6/3 on 50%. Drexler twice brought a team to the finals as a first option and won a title as an all-star second option. I don't think Iverson has any case over Drexler honestly.
    Career numbers-
    RS-
    Iverson: 27/6/4/2/0.2 on 43%.
    Drexler: 20/6/6/2.2/0.7 on 47%.

Playoffs-
    Iverson: 30/4/6/2/0.2 on 44%.
    Drexler: 20/7/6/2/0.7 on 48%.

Prime AI was putting up 31/2/10 on 52% eFG% in the PLAYOFFS. Drexler doesn't even come close to that.

Drexler's efficiency doesn't mean much when first, his supporting cast was much better and provided offensive help and attention, and second, AI is scoring 10 more points on only 4% less FG%.
    Drexler is only a better rebounder because of his height advantage and playmaking and defense is close to a wash.

AI led an offensively depleted team to the Finals and stole a win against arguably the GOAT team by himself.
    Drexler won a ring along side a guy that already proven he could win with less help and is a top 11 GOAT. AI's best teammate was freaking Melo.

AI has more MVPs (1), more All-star appearances, more All-NBA teams, more scoring titles, and more steals awards. All while being nowhere near as gifted height wise.

Quit acting like it isn't close, that's utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    Career numbers-
    RS-
    Iverson: 27/6/4/2/0.2 on 43%.
    Drexler: 20/6/6/2.2/0.7 on 47%.

Playoffs-
    Iverson: 30/4/6/2/0.2 on 44%.
    Drexler: 20/7/6/2/0.7 on 48%.

Prime AI was putting up 31/2/10 on 52% eFG% in the PLAYOFFS. Drexler doesn't even come close to that.

Drexler's efficiency doesn't mean much when first, his supporting cast was much better and provided offensive help and attention, and second, AI is scoring 10 more points on only 4% less FG%.
    Drexler is only a better rebounder because of his height advantage and playmaking and defense is close to a wash.

AI led an offensively depleted team to the Finals and stole a win against arguably the GOAT team by himself.
    Drexler won a ring along side a guy that already proven he could win with less help and is a top 11 GOAT. AI's best teammate was freaking Melo.

AI has more MVPs (1), more All-star appearances, more All-NBA teams, more scoring titles, and more steals awards. All while being nowhere near as gifted height wise.

Quit acting like it isn't close, that's utterly ridiculous.
    Peaks (playoffs) ;

Iverson 2001 ,

32.9 pts , 4.7 rib , 6.1 ast , 2.4 stl , 0.3 blk , 2.9 to , %48 TS , 105 ortg , 106 drtg

Drexler 92 ,

26.3 pts , 7.4 rib , 7 ast , 1.5 stl , 1 blk , 2.8 to , %55 TS , 120 ortg , 110 drtg .

I choose Drexler at peaks .

Clyde "The Glide" Drexler

Emanuel Ginobili

I can't decide between Clyde and Iverson even just looking at their numbers. Iverson gets a bad rap for his shooting percentages but I also feel like he had it much harder as an undersized shooting guard to even create shots over taller defenders, in what is generally acknowledged as a great defensive era. Its interesting to note that Iverson's TS% went up the minute the rules changed in 2004/5. Maybe in Clyde's era or if Iverson actually started a decade later his volume scoring would be the same but the overall percentages would look better. I'd definitely say Clyde was much better at being able to get great numbers within a team framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I can't decide between Clyde and Iverson even just looking at their numbers. Iverson gets a bad rap for his shooting percentages but I also feel like he had it much harder as an undersized shooting guard to even create shots over taller defenders, in what is generally acknowledged as a great defensive era. Its interesting to note that Iverson's TS% went up the minute the rules changed in 2004/5. Maybe in Clyde's era or if Iverson actually started a decade later his volume scoring would be the same but the overall percentages would look better. I'd definitely say Clyde was much better at being able to get great numbers within a team framework.
    I think Drexler has clearly better career . Gervin and Iverson are close for me . They were got mvp votes and make some playoffs success . Both have shorty prime . It's close for me .

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    I think Drexler has clearly better career . Gervin and Iverson are close for me . They were got mvp votes and make some playoffs success . Both have shorty prime . It's close for me .
    I agree it's close regardless of who you decide to go with. I just hate when people say the 'and it's not close' type comments. Personally, championship aside( and Clyde was playing second fiddle to Hakeem for that, though a strong one), I don't think his career was much better than Iverson's, if at all. I think it's easy to shit on A.I because of how he flamed out at 34, the 'you talking about practice' rant, and how he wasn't particularly efficient, but then I look at what he did in 2001 getting the Sixers to the finals, beating out teams that were probably more talented and single-handledly willing Philly to a victory over a team that swept through much better teams than the Sixers, and I think he gets a bit of a bad rep.

He was far from perfect, but I do think he's better than he seems to be getting credit for nowadays. I also think that its pretty easy to tell that in this era, he'd likely be even better. Take 2011 Derrick Rose and infuse him with more toughness, grit and determination, and I'm thinking that's probably close enough to what A.I would be, or Westbrook without the rebounding and triple double potential.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 11-18-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Jordan
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    --> Drexler

Peaks (playoffs) ;

Iverson 2001 ,

32.9 pts , 4.7 rib , 6.1 ast , 2.4 stl , 0.3 blk , 2.9 to , %48 TS , 105 ortg , 106 drtg

Drexler 92 ,

26.3 pts , 7.4 rib , 7 ast , 1.5 stl , 1 blk , 2.8 to , %55 TS , 120 ortg , 110 drtg .

I choose Drexler at peaks .
    It's dumb to cherry pick one season to determine the better player. Especially when AI has series where he averaged 7-8 more points on only 4% lower shooting. And when you add in the fact that Drexler had FAR more help. Portland SIX players average double digit points, which is double what the 76ers had. Obviously AI shot lower percentages because he was the only focal point on offense. He still had far more points per game.
    AI is arguably the better playmaker, defense is a wash. The only thing Drexler did better is rebounding because of height.

In terms of careers AI clearly wins. Drexler has no where near the accolades while competing in a much worse era for shooting guards.

AI>Drexler

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Steph Curry can slide over to the shooting guard position and he was better than Jerry West and right up there with Kobe and Wade.
    Maybe Curry will have a case when he averages 29 ppg in the playoffs over his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    Vince higher all time with the length of his career but TMac was better.

Pretty simple to me.

Yup this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I agree it's close regardless of who you decide to go with. I just hate when people say the 'and it's not close' type comments. Personally, championship aside( and Clyde was playing second fiddle to Hakeem for that, though a strong one), I don't think his career was much better than Iverson's, if at all. I think it's easy to shit on A.I because of how he flamed out at 34, the 'you talking about practice' rant, and how he wasn't particularly efficient, but then I look at what he did in 2001 getting the Sixers to the finals, beating out teams that were probably more talented and single-handledly willing Philly to a victory over a team that swept through much better teams than the Sixers, and I think he gets a bit of a bad rep.

He was far from perfect, but I do think he's better than he seems to be getting credit for nowadays. I also think that its pretty easy to tell that in this era, he'd likely be even better. Take 2011 Derrick Rose and infuse him with more toughness, grit and determination, and I'm thinking that's probably close enough to what A.I would be, or Westbrook without the rebounding and triple double potential.
    First of all , I respect Iverson for his talents . He is between 45-50 all time player for me. I think he is in the Same class with Elvin,Gervin,Durant,Howard at my all time list . That isn't underestimate Iverson for my truths .

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    It's dumb to cherry pick one season to determine the better player. Especially when AI has series where he averaged 7-8 more points on only 4% lower shooting. And when you add in the fact that Drexler had FAR more help. Portland SIX players average double digit points, which is double what the 76ers had. Obviously AI shot lower percentages because he was the only focal point on offense. He still had far more points per game.
    AI is arguably the better playmaker, defense is a wash. The only thing Drexler did better is rebounding because of height.

In terms of careers AI clearly wins. Drexler has no where near the accolades while competing in a much worse era for shooting guards.

AI>Drexler
    I wasn't said "Drex has better career" , ı said "Drex has better peak" on my arguement .

Drexler had more help at his prime , i agree that . But Jordan also had more help than Iverson or Drexler , we must look to the individual level.

Iverson phila career(100 poss playoffs stats) ;

37.2 pts , 5.1 rib , 7.4 ast , 2.7 stl , 0.3 blk , 3.9 to , %49.1 TS

Drexler blazers career(100 poss playoff stats) ;

27.5 pts , 9.1 rib , 8.7 ast , 2.6 stl , 1.1 blk , 3.9 to , %52.6 TS

Iverson has only scoring above Drex , yeah that is big margin but Drex has rib,ast,def,shooting above Ivy ; And I choose Drexler at their primes. And I also select Drexler's Rox career above Ivy's Nuggets career . Like I said , Drexler has clearly better career for me .
    Last edited by feyki; 11-18-2015 at 03:21 PM.

How do watch Clyde and Iverson in their primes and choose drexler?

First of all , I respect Iverson for his talents . He is between 45-50 all time player for me. I think he is in the Same class with Elvin,Gervin,Durant,Howard at my all time list . That isn't underestimate Iverson for my truths .
    I wasn't suggesting that you didn't respect his talents, or were underestimating him. I was speaking in general.