Banned

Default Can Someone Explain the Ending of Memento?

I know we have some movie buffs in here so can someone put it all together for me. Im throughly confused. All the intrepretations I come up with seem to have wholes and I dont feel like freeze framing the movie for 20 hours(even though it is possible)

Default Re: Can Someone Explain the Ending of Memento?

I haven't seen it in a long time, but from what I remember, in the end we realize that he made all that sh*t up in his head, it was him all along. Meaning, he made all that sh*t up so he would have something to chase, or have a "goal" to work toward.

I've seen the movie about 15 times but I still can't explain everything, it has been a while since I've watched it though so I gotta run through it again to refresh my memory

Been about 3 years since I've seen it.

It's been a while since i've seen it, but in the end he finds out that he already killed the guy he is looking for. And to give him a purpose in life, he goes on trying to find the killer again even though he has killed him already.

Thats all i remember

He found out the guy was using him to kill various people, thinking he was killing the killer each time, so he set himself up to think that guy was the killer.

Also I think he killed his wife himself accidently, because the stories he tells about the other guy with the memory condition are really stories about himself.

Everyone he kills has nothing to do with his wife's death. He killed her, and just like in the movie The Machinist, is in extreme denial and is creating a seperate reality in which he thinks he is the victim. Then of course, the movie is in reverse to add more confusion to it all. Not one of my faves.

Wow what a great movie. The guy who did this was truly a genius. It took me like 5 hours to watch this movie cuz I had to keep rewinding.

Basically everyone above me is correct - The main character WAS Sammy Jankis and Teddy was using him to kill criminals. The truth was too much for Leonard, so he continued the "chase" by writing down Teddy's license plate.

the discussion on it between your self and someone else in another thread was pretty much spot on.

it is an amazing film, one of the all time greatest ever made imo and christopher nolans masterpiece, i honestly dont see him topping it, he certainly wont if he continues with the batman franchise, however good dark knight was.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Teddy wasnt using him to kill criminals...carrie ann moss was. She was giving him clues that pointed to Teddy.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Teddy wasnt using him to kill criminals...carrie ann moss was. She was giving him clues that pointed to Teddy.
    she was using him to only kill her husband/boyfriend who was abusive if i remember correctly. Teddy was using him to kill all other criminals. Everyone was taking advantage of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Op_tlDc4BM

One of the greatest ending ever