Default Fred Hoiberg is new Bulls coach

Fred Hoiberg to be new Bulls coach?

The Chicago Bulls are putting the final touches on a five-year, $25 million contract that would make Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg the team's next coach, according to ESPN.

Hoiberg will meet with the Bulls on Monday and the sides are expected to complete a deal, the network reported.

-- AP

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default Re: Fred Hoiberg to be new Bulls coach?

I'm excited. It was time for the Bulls and Thibs to part ways. I liked Thibs but he was too stubborn to change his coaching style at all. The players were always worn down and had no energy left by playoff time or were injured. And Thibs just didn't give a crap about offense at all. Which in other seasons it didn't matter because the Bulls offense was usually crap. But this season they had a lot of offensive weapons (Mirotic, Rose, Gasol, Butler, McDermott, Snell, Brooks, Dunleavy) and they could have been pretty damn good offensively if they had a coach that actually let the team play defense and offense. We saw their potential on offense in game 6 in the first series against the Bucks.

People bring up the similarities between Hoiberg and Kerr and I hope they're right. Mark Jackson was a lot like Thibs and the Warriors had the talent but not the right coach. In comes Steve Kerr and they improve big time and now they're going to the NBA finals. I can see that/hope it happens with Hoiberg.

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    Fred Hoiberg to be new Bulls coach?

The Chicago Bulls are putting the final touches on a five-year, $25 million contract that would make Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg the team's next coach, according to ESPN.

Hoiberg will meet with the Bulls on Monday and the sides are expected to complete a deal, the network reported.

-- AP
    Pls tell me they are hiring good veteran assistants to back Fred up?
    Where would Kerr be without Ron Adams and Gentry.
    I recently read a 6 month old piece about the Warriors and Kerr. How Steve relies heavily on the greatness of his assistants. Ron was great supporting Thibs before and I was racking my brains on why the Bulls came from top 2 on defense to 10th last season without Adams.
    Please hire Mike Malone as defensive coordinator.
    Hire D' Antoni as consultant for offense.

I've heard Hoiberg plans on staying with Adrian Griffin as he loves Thibs' defense and has tried to implement it into his own system.

Bulls officially named Hoiberg head coach today:

http://www.insidehoops.com/bulls-hir...g-060215.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Pls tell me they are hiring good veteran assistants to back Fred up?
    Where would Kerr be without Ron Adams and Gentry.
    I recently read a 6 month old piece about the Warriors and Kerr. How Steve relies heavily on the greatness of his assistants. Ron was great supporting Thibs before and I was racking my brains on why the Bulls came from top 2 on defense to 10th last season without Adams.
    Please hire Mike Malone as defensive coordinator.
    Hire D' Antoni as consultant for offense.
    Or....the lack of healthy Noah/Taj.

Anyway like nightprowler said Griffin is probably staying. I heard he might try and get Sam Mitchell from the Wolves, which is weird since there isn't an overlap for when they were there, but hey maybe wolves connections transcend time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Or....the lack of healthy Noah/Taj.

Anyway like nightprowler said Griffin is probably staying. I heard he might try and get Sam Mitchell from the Wolves, which is weird since there isn't an overlap for when they were there, but hey maybe wolves connections transcend time.
    Chicago loses one of the slowest footed and uncaring guy in Boozer and gains Pau and they go from 2nd best in defense to 11th.
    Adams joins Kerr in Golden State, institutes "shell defense" and go from 4th to FIRST in defensive rating.
    But yes, Noah and Taj are not the same but still, losing Booze and gaining Pau and you get worse?

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

Chicago loses one of the slowest footed and uncaring guy in Boozer and gains Pau and they go from 2nd best in defense to 11th.
    Adams joins Kerr in Golden State, institutes "shell defense" and go from 4th to FIRST in defensive rating.
    But yes, Noah and Taj are not the same but still, losing Booze and gaining Pau and you get worse?

....which is pretty incredible since Pau averaged about two blocks per game in this recent season with the Bulls.

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

Default Re: Fred Hoiberg is new Bulls coach

BTW: Has anyone seen Coach Nick's BBallBreakdown on Fred Hoiberg as the new coach of the Bulls? It starts out somewhat promising as it is instantly clear that Hoiberg has many new schemes to run.

The video highlights a play or two for Dunleavy or Butler to get some good shots. It does mention some positive possibilities for Derrick and Pau BUT coach Nick ultimately talks about why both of those guys either might object to their plays, or why they would not succeed at them.

Coach Nick even goes so far as to end the video with a discussion on the Bulls considering trades for Rose and Gasol. Now I know that many of you are reflexively dismissing such a thought and posting your favorite ISH emoticon to my right for your response to this, but that is bad.

I realize Coach Nick doesn't know everything and just because he says something doesn't make it so, I know that. However, it is BAD to think of our franchise player not being capable and our best player from this season not liking his assigned plays. I hope this is just a case of Nick over-analyzing every single detail and possibility and thinking out-loud as he was recording.

P.S. Would anyone like to see 2K add Coach Nick to their Basketball games? It seems like it would be fun in terms of a post-game show, explaining your VIP record/tendencies and helping with the tutorial videos.
    Last edited by KelticForce1349; 06-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Pau also had the most shots in the paint taken against him and one of the highest allowed rates. He was either a make or block shot pretty much.

GS had the emergence of Draymond (second or third in DPOY), more improvement defensively from Klay, Steph, and Barnes, plus getting Adams. Plus they blew so many teams out that they probably played what 20 games with 8 or so minutes at least against 8-12 men on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by KelticForce1349
    BTW: Has anyone seen Coach Nick's BBallBreakdown on Fred Hoiberg as the new coach of the Bulls? It starts out somewhat promising as it is instantly clear that Hoiberg has many new schemes to run.

The video highlights a play or two for Dunleavy or Butler to get some good shots. It does mention some positive possibilities for Derrick and Pau BUT coach Nick ultimately talks about why both of those guys either might object to their plays, or why they would not succeed at them.

Coach Nick even goes so far as to end the video with a discussion on the Bulls considering trades for Rose and Gasol. Now I know that many of you are reflexively dismissing such a thought and posting your favorite ISH emoticon to my right for your response to this, but that is bad.

I realize Coach Nick doesn't know everything and just because he says something doesn't make it so, I know that. However, it is BAD to think of our franchise player not being capable and our best player from this season not liking his assigned plays. I hope this is just a case of Nick over-analyzing every single detail and possibility and thinking out-loud as he was recording.

P.S. Would anyone like to see 2K add Coach Nick to their Basketball games? It seems like it would be fun in terms of a post-game show, explaining your VIP record/tendencies and helping with the tutorial videos.
    I didn't watch it but I totally understand why he feels that way. The sets are gonna be a huge boost for all the wings. Especially when Taj is the screener because of his pick and pop game ability. But with Pau who's really not a good screen setter consistently...yikes. Noah's whatever. Hopefully a healthy offseason helps him get his layup game back.

I think he's underrating Rose's ability though, which is totally understandable. I feel the same way to a degree, BUT and this is a but that could be nothing at all really or a sign of things to come post second meniscus surgery he had some killer passes. Not just once in a while either but at least a couple times every game. Just throwing it to Pau right on the chest randomly after driving for open layups, finding a perimeter player behind the line open across the court, some great in the paint stuff.....It's flashes but there might be something there, or maybe there's nothing at all. But there were definitely some good flashes.

The biggest problem with trying to trade him though is there's really not gonna be many takers given his third major surgery. It's gonna be tough for them to find a market. I mean maybe Phoenix gets desperate for a change, but it's not like Bledsoe is much better health wise. No one else has the legendary medical staff like that, and there's gambling franchises (the Kings for example, hell maybe Cuban), but there's not really a fit with either.

Excited about what I've watched and read about the type of offense Hoiberg runs. Also excited about that type of offense being beneficial for the majority of the guys we have on our roster which I believe will pretty much be the same as this year. I hope Dunleavy and Brooks don't get bigger offers and come back as a side not.

I'm also being patient and waiting to see who he hires to his staff and what the starting line up and rotations will look like.

A lot of similarities to Kerr, but we don't have the roster that Golden State has so let's not get crazy. With that said I do think when we are completely healthy we do have the most depth in the East.

I'm hoping to see a lot more of Snell and McDermott next year and I think Hoiberg makes that happen.

So far so good but let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsbb27
    Excited about what I've watched and read about the type of offense Hoiberg runs. Also excited about that type of offense being beneficial for the majority of the guys we have on our roster which I believe will pretty much be the same as this year. I hope Dunleavy and Brooks don't get bigger offers and come back as a side not.

I'm also being patient and waiting to see who he hires to his staff and what the starting line up and rotations will look like.

A lot of similarities to Kerr, but we don't have the roster that Golden State has so let's not get crazy. With that said I do think when we are completely healthy we do have the most depth in the East.

I'm hoping to see a lot more of Snell and McDermott next year and I think Hoiberg makes that happen.

So far so good but let's see.
    I for one am hoping and praying Fred would bring in the BEST AVAILABLE defensive minded assistant coach. I really like Mike Malone, what he did with the Kings, Warriors 2 yrs ago and esp at Cleveland when he helped Mike Brown back then(Brown was exposed without him).
    btw, where the heck in Crystallas.
    What is your take in all these?