Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Not airballing my layups anymore

you have a huge loss to your boston celtic family. the biggest blessing is red lived a live that was mostly on his terms. he could be a sob, especially if you

Bump

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    ESPN ran a segment where Red Auerbach says that the modern coach unnecessarily complicates what should be a simple game by hiring tons of coaches and giving the players too many plays to deal with (his Celtic teams only ran six plays, which everyone knew and noone could stop). Any thoughts on that? The higher level of individual attention players can get from assistant coaches is more likely a good thing IMO (especially with so many guys leaving school early that need the fundamentals that colleges used to provide) but there do seem to be a lot of players that struggle when handed too many plays. Especially when dealing with young players that could contribute if the game wasn't so complex. The best offensive team in the league, Phoenix, oftentimes calls no play and just lets Nash speed it up the floor and find somebody. And I'm sure everyone knew what Stockton and Malone were up to when Utah came to town.

RIP.
    First off, rest in peace to Mr. Auerbach...truly one of the greatest basketball minds in history of the sports. I saw those comments on an interview show that aired on NBA TV over the weekend...I agree with him about coaches making things more complicated than they should be. You seen all the Celtics championship teams, the Showtime Lakers, and the 1970s Knicks, for example turning a simple defensive approach into fast break offense. Except for maybe the Mavs and Suns, to a lesser extent, you don't see in the NBA anymore.

Great tribute by both NBA TV and ESPN Classic over the weekend honoring his memory, and even NBA TV showed some of his "Red on Roundball" segments that used to air during halftime of CBS' NBA telecasts...you could learn a lot from those few minutes of watching those legends execute simple plays, like the pick and roll, boxing out for a rebound, setting screens, etc.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: The legend Red Auerbach passed away

hit the wrong button on the webpage and saw this one of the oldest threads on here.

In the '70s Red had a little 10 or 15 minute tv show where he had NBA stars go through moves. He had Russell show how to box out for rebounding, had Artis Gilmore if I remember show how to set off-ball screens. He was always active within the league, not just at Celtics games. He did a lot of scouting other teams, not just to see the competition but for potential trades.... true fireball and probably the greatest figure in NBA history!!