Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

RIP Red.

Local High School Star

RIP.

I don't smoke, but if I did, I'd light up a big fat cigar for ya, Red.

I usually hit open layups

what an amazing life he had. i hope im that lucky. last time i ever saw Red was probably 4 years ago. i dont catch many Celtic games but they showed him in the lockerroom giving MJ a hug.

sadly, i think John Wooden's time will be up much sooner than later. its tough to see such geniuses leave us. i hope there's people transcribing every comment Wooden says about basketball.

Local High School Star

Red Auerbach interview on Jim Rome a while back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIidFYNlpec

Notice it's 5 parts (check the column to the right) so be sure to check them all out. About 35 minutes total. GeeWiz is right...nobody cared about this guy when he was alive...they only gave him 35 minutes of air time.

:rollingeyes:

its ours nxt year LA09 kobedaman24's Avatar

One of the best coaches I've seen coach.

National High School Star AKADS's Avatar

Im sorry I missed this thread when i started my thread

RIP Red GOAT in my opinion as a coach that is

RIP Red GOAT in my opinion as a coach that is
    +1

RIP, Red.

Saw a basketball once A human being's Avatar

Default .

I just wanted to pay my respects to Mr. Auerbach -- a great coach and an excellent human being. R.I.P.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

ESPN ran a segment where Red Auerbach says that the modern coach unnecessarily complicates what should be a simple game by hiring tons of coaches and giving the players too many plays to deal with (his Celtic teams only ran six plays, which everyone knew and noone could stop). Any thoughts on that? The higher level of individual attention players can get from assistant coaches is more likely a good thing IMO (especially with so many guys leaving school early that need the fundamentals that colleges used to provide) but there do seem to be a lot of players that struggle when handed too many plays. Especially when dealing with young players that could contribute if the game wasn't so complex. The best offensive team in the league, Phoenix, oftentimes calls no play and just lets Nash speed it up the floor and find somebody. And I'm sure everyone knew what Stockton and Malone were up to when Utah came to town.

RIP.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

That's the statue of Red in Quincy square. He's sitting on a bench. It's in a row of other benches, and it's not impossible to walk right by without even noticing, but it's worth checking out if you're even in Boston.

I strongly recommend picking up John Feinstiens' "Let Me Tell You a Story". Not only is it loaded with stories about the history of the league told through Red, but they were all narrated by Red during his weekly lunch meetings at a Chinese Resturant in Washington DC. Filled with some of the best local basketball minds around, including Sam Jones, Morgan Wooten, and countless others who could only stop by from time to time, Red still commanded the entire room. It's a fascinating read, and it adresses a lot of the league's current issues, in Reds simple pragmatic way. He really is the father of modern basketball. If you watch footage of a his Celtics play, and footage of a current game, they're much more similar than his Celtics, versus Mikan's Lakers, which were only 10 years prior.

Red so dominated the Celtics' winning culture, that even the famed Celtic logo was created on commision by Red's brother Zang.

Anyone who cares enough about basketball to actually be reading or writing on a message board owes a lot to Red Auerbach.
    Thanks Red.

Dunking on everybody in the park lawlerslaw100's Avatar

Smile Red was the Greatest GM and Coach

16 Titles. 9 as a Coach and 7 as a GM. Plus the greatest steal in the
    NBA ever..he fleeced Golden State by trading a #1 draft pick for
    Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale part of the foundation of the 80s
    Cs dynasty team.

RIP Red and your

That's too bad, but I guess the legends of the early NBA are getting really old now.

Interesting how the timing coincided with the inaugural Celtics cheerleading team, though.

RIP Red. YOU WERE JUST WAITING FOR THEM TO PISS YOU OFF.

I usually hit open layups 9spurs's Avatar

RIP Red

Bill Simmons story on Red from four years ago.

"I don't like to walk stairs. Things change. I used to smoke 10 of these" ... he holds up a Cuban cigar ... "every day. Now I'm down to two. You don't get to be 84 years old and not have problems. But I don't want to talk about my problems."

Sad day indeed, but Red it was just a matter of time.