Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has there been a more impressive championship run than the 2011 Mavs?

Swept Kobe & the two time defending champion Lakers
    Beat Durant, Westbrook and the Thunder in 5
    Took down the Big 3 Heat, with LeBron & Wade in their primes, in the Finals in 6

In those series they defeated
    1. 3 55+ win teams
    2. 3 former/future MVP's
    3. Arguably 4 of the top 7 players in the league
    3. 6 players that made an All-NBA 1st or 2nd team

People frequently bring up the '89 Pistons, but they faced the Celtics without Bird, the Bulls minus Phil Jackson and Pippen not yet in his prime, and the Lakers with Magic missing half the series and an ancient, soon to be retired Kareem

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Has there been a more impressive championship run than the 2011 Mavs?

Definitely a great run, in which the desperation and hunger to win was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Dirk, Kidd, Chandler, Marion, etc. All wanted to win after long careers.

Having said that, I think their competition has been overrated some. Lakers and Mavs had the same regular season record, for instance, and LA was flailing and infighting all season. Blazers had a Brandon Roy who was an absolute shell of himself. Thunder had a team that was really really young (99% of championship teams are never that young, look it up). The Heat were the best team they faced but even they had Bibby starting, a bunch of about-to-be-retired players on the roster, and no Ray Allen or Shane Battier. Something to keep in mind is a team is not made up of 2 or 3 players, it's how great the entire team is that is relevant. But it was still a dominant run nonetheless.

I think propping up or criticizing their competition takes away from what they did as a team. I'm a Spurs fan and readily admit the competition they faced in championship years varied from awesome to not as awesome - but a championship is a championship! They're great in their own right and all the Mavs killed it that season.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Has there been a more impressive championship run than the 2011 Mavs?

01 Lakers >>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Definitely a great run, in which the desperation and hunger to win was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Dirk, Kidd, Chandler, Marion, etc. All wanted to win after long careers.

Having said that, I think their competition has been overrated some. Lakers and Mavs had the same regular season record, for instance, and LA was flailing and infighting all season. Blazers had a Brandon Roy who was an absolute shell of himself. Thunder had a team that was really really young (99% of championship teams are never that young, look it up). The Heat were the best team they faced but even they had Bibby starting, a bunch of about-to-be-retired players on the roster, and no Ray Allen or Shane Battier. Something to keep in mind is a team is not made up of 2 or 3 players, it's how great the entire team is that is relevant. But it was still a dominant run nonetheless.

I think propping up or criticizing their competition takes away from what they did as a team. I'm a Spurs fan and readily admit the competition they faced in championship years varied from awesome to not as awesome - but a championship is a championship! They're great in their own right and all the Mavs killed it that season.
    Who would you pick then?

Banned

2012 Heat

Underdogs against Indy after Game 3

Underdogs to the Celtics after Game 5

Underdogs to the Thunder the entire series, and especially after Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    2012 Heat

Underdogs against Indy after Game 3

Underdogs to the Celtics after Game 5

Underdogs to the Thunder the entire series, and especially after Game 1
    I'm not sure you're familiar with what the term underdog means

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac

They faced tougher competition than any Spurs run thats for sure

95 Rockets
    01 Lakers

The Bad Boy Pistons took out Bird, Magic, and MJ in one season I think too.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    95 Rockets
    01 Lakers

Hey dude, I want Riley Cooper. I sent you a trade request.

Only team I can think of is the 1995 Rockets.

60 win Malone/Stockton led Jazz team
    60 win MVP David Robinson led team
    59 win Barkley/KJ led team
    57 win Shaq/Penny led team

Beat them all as the 6th seed. Without HCA in any series.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Hey dude, I want Riley Cooper. I sent you a trade request.
    Okay, accepted. I think it's a lateral trade, but I know you're a fan of his.

BTW russ's thread was moved to the football board in case you were looking for it:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=352479

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Okay, accepted. I think it's a lateral trade, but I know you're a fan of his.

BTW russ's thread was moved to the football board in case you were looking for it:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=352479

Right on. Now I have Percy and Cooper holding it down, Gator style.

95 Rockets
    01 Lakers

If only you read the OP.......

Banned

The thing that always cracks me up is how many of the game would be close through the first 3 quarters, and then Dirk would just obliterate the opposition in the 4th of every game.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    The thing that always cracks me up is how many of the game would be close through the first 3 quarters, and then Dirk would just obliterate the opposition in the 4th of every game.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=325755