Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wilt scores 73 points and grabs 35 rebounds against Walt Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    In '66 Celtics had significant regular season injuries which cost them a few games. When they were healthy (as I believe they were in the playoffs) they were better than the 76ers. Despite the injuries the Celtics had better SRS and points differential over the season.

Even if games won were the better measure of how good the teams were you've got to account for the fact that a lot of the 76ers wins were coming from Chamberlain himself (being better than Russell) who collared the MVP and all NBA-first team that year.
    Great points.

Sam Jones missed 13 games in '66, and Havlicek missed 9. And Russell missed two. So, when you factor in the amount of games lost by key Celtic personnel, the Sixers one game regular season margin was really an illusion.

What was also interesting was the fact that the Sixers enjoyed a 6-3 regular season h2h margin over Boston that year. And in those nine games, Chamberlain just waxed Russell. Overall, Wilt averaged 28.3 ppg, 30.7 rpg, and shot an educated estimate of about .525 against Russell (and his teammates obviously.)

Then, in the EDF's, Chamberlain averaged 28.0 ppg, 30.2 rpg, and shot .509 from the field. How did his Sixers get blown out 4-1 by the Celtics in that series? His teammates collectively shot .352 from the field. And yet, who gets the blame? Of course...it was Wilt.

Local High School Star

I'd maintain Ramsey makes a mens American pro basketball HoF.

Like I said 2nd best player at position in 50s (would be rare, near unique situation, maybe 80s 2 guards if Drexler, Dumars, Jordan all counted as 90s and you don't allow guys in multiple decades).

His playoff performance in '59 in a big man dominated era is pretty special. His '58 regular season is minute for minute a challenger for best 2 guard season of the decade.

I mentioned before how his career numbers are down because of armed service and playing off the bench. Perhaps K.C. and Satch's legacies benefit from playing on the Celtics, I think Ramsey's might suffer from it.

He's not a clear cut no doubt inclusion and it depends where you set the bar. But I think Ramsey belongs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    I'd maintain Ramsey makes a mens American pro basketball HoF.

Like I said 2nd best player at position in 50s (would be rare, near unique situation, maybe 80s 2 guards if Drexler, Dumars, Jordan all counted as 90s and you don't allow guys in multiple decades).

His playoff performance in '59 in a big man dominated era is pretty special. His '58 regular season is minute for minute a challenger for best 2 guard season of the decade.

I mentioned before how his career numbers are down because of armed service and playing off the bench. Perhaps K.C. and Satch's legacies benefit from playing on the Celtics, I think Ramsey's might suffer from it.

He's not a clear cut no doubt inclusion and it depends where you set the bar. But I think Ramsey belongs in it.
    I won't argue with your knowledge.

But personally I believe these "HOF's" to be watered down anyway. Paul Hornung is in the Pro Football HOF, but Terrell Davis is not. And Bert Byleven is in the baseball HOF, and Ron Guidry is not. I contend that there are way too many "merely good" players in these HOF's, and it diminish's the truly deserving. I can't imagine taking a kid to the baseball HOF and trying to explain why Ray Schalk is in there with Babe Ruth.

Back to OP, and again, the Bellamy-Wilt h2h's were just completely one-sided for almost the entire decade of the 60's. Chamberlain had a 50+ point game against Bellamy every season up thru 65-66. And, in his 66-67 season, when he dramatically cut back his shooting, and in nine h2h games against Bellamy, he averaged 22.7 ppg on... .709 shooting from the floor.

And once again, in their 67-68 playoff h2h, Wilt outscored Bellamy, per game, 25 ppg to 20 ppg, and outshot him from the floor by a .584 to .421 margin.

And Chamberlain likely outrebounded Bellamy in some 80% of their h2h's, as well.

I can't think of one HOF player so thoroughly dominating another throughout their entire careers.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    That is an awesome pic, where'd you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Tumblr, great site

After talking with people from the NBA archive database project I'm 100% certain that this game does NOT exist on film and that Bill Simmons straight up lied about watching it and receiving it as a "gift" from the NBA. He used that alleged 'game film' as a means to talk trash about Chamberlain in his book - saying what he saw from film was not impressive. guy will do anything to prop up Russell.
    SMH Simmons...