Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: So, James Harden or Westbrook?

Westbrook. A better all-around player and more reliable in crunch-time. If the Rockets make the playoffs, I expect Harden to not play so well. Harden is still a top 2 SG, but Westbrook is a top 2 PG too..

Quote Originally Posted by USABall
    I'll take the guy that gives me the most effort, and whom I can rely on every day. We know both are capable of performing well as a first option. We know both are capable of facilitating.

I'll take the guy that shows up every game like the world ends the next day, has passion and heart written on his face, and tries his best not to miss a game, he hasn't yet.

Both players are really good, but what I think sets them apart, is Russell Westbrook's refusal to give up or give in.

EDIT: I don't think it is lopsided; The decision is hard to make.
    Truly beautiful post

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Harden is doing a lot and I think his jumper is below it's usual standard. But he's a better shooter. I see the stats. Westbrook does well at getting to his spots and playing from within them. But Harden is certainly a better pure shooter.
    I don't see how unless you want to talk about freethrows. Harden wasn't better last year and he isn't better this year while the defense is live. And you can make the argument that Westbrook is below his usual standards too. Westbrook is just better off the dribble when shooting.

Harden is the better driver and finisher tho.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Westbrook. A better all-around player and more reliable in crunch-time. If the Rockets make the playoffs, I expect Harden to not play so well. Harden is still a top 2 SG, but Westbrook is a top 2 PG too..
    I dunno about that. Tony Parker is really good this year. He is going under the radar, but he is better than last year. Definitely better offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    I don't see how unless you want to talk about freethrows. Harden wasn't better last year and he isn't better this year while the defense is live. And you can make the argument that Westbrook is below his usual standards too. Westbrook is just better off the dribble when shooting.

Harden is the better driver and finisher tho.

I dunno about that. Tony Parker is really good this year. He is going under the radar, but he is better than last year. Definitely better offensively.
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Healthy Rose

Everybody else

Parker is in Pop's system, Westbrook is producing off raw talent and instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Healthy Rose

Everybody else

I wouldn't agree with the last part, in general. Parker is a lot of talent. I do think it's very possible that Parker is playing as well as he is, within this system. But I also think Parker is 30 now and that playing in that system has learned how to maximize his talents. In a vacuum, I think he's probably a better player than Parker. But in actuality, Parker is having a better season. He had a better season last year. So I can't agree with these simple terms.

Rondo hasn't played as well lately as he was playing earlier. I think he's a victim of Doc's system (those who think the opposite are looney) and I think he deserves to be ranked, rather easily, above Westbrook. Westbrook was better last year and has probably been better this season, but he hasn't done enough to move past Rondo.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 01-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Healthy Rose

Everybody else

I think Westbrook has better talent, but that doesn't mean he is producing better. Parker is just better offensively and is the better scorer. It was similar last year too, but Parker is even better this year. From 3pt shot, to mid range, to finishing and driving, Parker is better. Westbrook could rebound better and defend better. That could get him over, but it's definitely debatable.

And every player is in a system tho. Pop saw Parker's untapped ability, and he wanted him to lead the show for the Spurs for a couple years now. He is maximizing that system with his ability.

I am your soldier!

I like Harden more.

Give me Westbrook.

Westbrook for sure, he does more things better. Westbrook is a top 5-7 player for me..don't see Harden breaking into that just yet.

Saw a basketball once GucciBandana's Avatar

Harden's a slightly better scorer and a runs the offense better, but Westbrook is way more explosive, as in he can create something out of nothing using his athleticism and fearlessness when the whole team is stuck, everyone is off rhythm, which is really important for the Thunder, since that's something KD lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    That's not true. At least that Harden has a better shot. He hardly ever was better than Westbrook at it. Look at the percentage for this year:

Westbrook:

10 to 15 ft: 34.0%
    16 ft to 3-pt: 37.2%
    3pt: 35.5%

Jumpshot overall: 35.2%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/

Harden:

10 to 15 ft: 32.3%
    16 ft to 3-pt: 35.9%
    3pt: 33.8%

Jumpshot overall: 33.4%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/

Both aren't stellar this year, but Westbrook is better at every field this year so far. He was better last year too with his mid-range game being close to automatic. Harden was better last year, especially at the 3, but still wasn't better than Westbrook overall.
    You've got to bear in mind that Harden doesn't take a lot of midrange shots, a lot of his game is the three pointer or driving straight to the basket:

http://hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx

Here you can see Westbrook and Harden's shot selection. Westbrook takes 1.1 more shots from 10-23 feet but only makes 0.2 more per game, while they both take roughly 6 shots at the rim (6.4 for Harden, 6.2 for Westbrook) but Harden makes 4.2 at the rim compared to 3.4 for Westbrook. I wish there was a better way to isolate the data but it doesn't look like I can do player vs player comparison.

Harden is even more careless with the ball then Westbrook. Is prone to stretches of games where he has a negative impact. His passing is overrated. And his defense sucks.

Coach K played Westbrook over Harden at Harden's natural position.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage
    Harden is even more careless with the ball then Westbrook. Is prone to stretches of games where he has a negative impact. His passing is overrated. And his defense sucks.

Coach K played Westbrook over Harden at Harden's natural position.

AKA Westbrook's natural position.

And the first line is just stupid. No he isn't. He's just in a different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GucciBandana
    Harden's a slightly better scorer and a runs the offense better, but Westbrook is way more explosive, as in he can create something out of nothing using his athleticism and fearlessness when the whole team is stuck, everyone is off rhythm, which is really important for the Thunder, since that's something KD lacks.

Who is that girl in your avatar?