Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Should the NBA just create it's own World Cup?

In light of NBA GM's reactions on the PG injury, should the NBA stage it's own World Cup event every 4 years?

The NBA would own and market the event. The NBA would invite the top NTs from around the world, including Team USA, to participate. The NBA could then also share revenues to other international leagues like the EL, Chinese league, Aussie league etc. depending on the amount of participation from their players that participate.

This is a model initially suggested by Mark Cuban. The model would allow for the world to crown a basketball champion, but also solve the problem of NBA owners risk exposure when their franchise players join NTs without being rewarded.

Imagine the profits created by the event when marketed by the NBA. Franchise owners, not just in the NBA, but all over the world will be happy because of revenue and just rewards.

The event could render Fiba irrelevant. So you can be sure that this will be opposed by them. If the NBA uses it's muscle though, I believe this could be feasible.

Default Re: Should the NBA just create it's own World Cup?

Stern was pushing for something similar. I guess if they offer better incentives/profits than FIBA, the intl teams could hop in.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

The NBA certainly gains from the internation games mainly by having player exposure, which is why they joined in the first place.

I seriously dont see this taking off mainly because the world doesnt view basketball like the USA does.

For the rest of the world it's not one of their top sports, outside of repping their country the world has no use for it.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Stern was pushing for something similar. I guess if they offer better incentives/profits than FIBA, the intl teams could hop in.
    Cuban basically mentioned something to the effect that people are basically saying these events are about national pride, when the fiba and the ioc are making all the money here.

So NBA owners are letting these 2 groups use their franchise players for free. Any sense in that?

I don't think other countries would accept a world cup run by the NBA. They'd think only the USA would benefit from such an event and rightfully so.

Serious playground baller

Federations organize all sorts of tournaments for kids that have very little revenue potential, they build training facilities and courts for them to play in, employ coaching and training stuff etc.
    Cuban doesn't need more money.

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    I don't think other countries would accept a world cup run by the NBA. They'd think only the USA would benefit from such an event and rightfully so.

This. The idea only benefits the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    Why would it only benefit the NBA? I mentioned the NBA sharing profits with other leagues.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Why would it only benefit the NBA? I mentioned the NBA sharing profits with other leagues.
    The rest of the world are just happy to rep their country.

THE NBA's only interest would be money.

It will never work, if the NBA is that sour....pull out.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

You guys act like PG is the first player to get injured while playing for NT.

Do you know how many European players play for NTs while injured insted of taking a summer to recover.And they too have teams that pay them a lot of money but if the team has a problem with player wanting to play for NT despite that being bad for them then they should had signed him.

Not feasible right now.

This will put the NBA in direct war with FIBA. And both parties definitely don't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Because other countries would have no say on how the tournament is organized. Unless there's gonna be representatives.

FIBA is governing body responsible for all internationl competitions, back in the 1989,1990 former FIBA executive and Hall of fame member Borislav Stankovic along with Stern introduced NBA players in international competitions, and we all agree that bringing NBA players made basketball worldwide popular sport. NBA can make world cup but it won't be recognized on international level.

Removing NBA players from international competitions is step backward.
    Last edited by duskovujosevic; 08-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Honestly the NBA doesn't need the money from FIBA. Yes, FIBA has corruption issues but they're helping basketball at the grassroots level. What the NBA should do is to work out some issues with FIBA. Starting a rival tourney would set back basketball.