Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Who'd rather build your franchise on: Shaquille O'Neal or Wilt Chamberlain?

It's closer if we're just talking about each player in their respective eras, but I'm still taking Shaq. I think that their track records suggest that he elevates teams more(can't see Shaq leading a team to a 31-49 record in his prime when healthy no matter what or an 11-33 record in another prime season before being traded), I trust him much more in the playoffs and I think he was considerabloy more effective for his teams as a big scorer(the role each player spent most of their primes in).

Wilt's '67 season deserves a ton of respect, but the big disappointments that followed the next 2 years when his teams were favored leads me to question his ability in the playoffs.

It should be noted that Wilt faced the most successful sports dynasty, but comparing the teams they won with, Wilt easily had more talent around him, even relative to his era. For example, the 3peat Lakers were a .500 team when Shaq was out, while Wilt's 2 championship teams were 50+ win teams without him. Even when Shaq won as the second best player on his team in 2006, the Heat were 10-13 without him, and that was with a very good center to fill in as Alonzo averaged 12/9/4 as a starter.

The biggest advantage I see for Wilt is durability, but if we're factoring in eras, then as I said, I see Shaq's advantage as greater due to his superior footwork, much greater use of his strength and the defenses he faced. Granted, footage is limited, but I've heard numerous times that double teaming was used far less frequently in Wilt's era. Here is a comparison between the '67 EDF and the '00 WCF and you can see Wilt being guarded with single coverage and Shaq being constantly doubled/tripled.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209939

You can find quite players/coaches who saw, played with/against or coached/coached against both players and you'll see them give varying opinions on who was better. So those that think it's not a debate(and likely haven't seen Wilt play like myself and 99% of the posters here) should keep in mind that many who've seen both have argued for each player.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 11-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Who'd rather build your franchise on: Shaquille O'Neal or Wilt Chamberlain?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    In the 60s, that does not say a lot.
    You have to measure players against the era they played in, and not try to use the elusive time machine.

BTW, Wilt played against quite a few Hall of Famers in his career. Maybe more than Shaq did, at least at the center position.

Banned

A problem with Wilt is that people usually blindly ranked him in the top 3-5 without doing much researching or knowing anything about him. They just rank him there because of his stats and accomplishments but they don't take into context the stats and accomplishments. Wilt is an all-time great and a top 10 player of all-time, nobody denies that. People need to realize the difference between being ranked 4th all-time and being ranked 8th all-time is actually not a big difference.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Regul8r's Wilt vs. Shaq post from Real GM
    Hope he doesn't mind me reposting it.
    No, I don't mind, as I'd actually referenced it the other day. I'd actually thought it would have been pushed into message board oblivion by now. Last time I'd checked, that was like four pages away from the end.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

In time when we take a step back and really see Shaq

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    Shaq. Wilt had to change his game and be traded in order to win.
    Wilt won a championship with the 6ers

I would take Wilt personally. The guy could have won many more championships were it not for him having to having the juggernaut that was the 60s Celtics for several years.

Shaq was the most dominant player of the modern era, but he was also lazy and a team cancer. His new book made me dislike him intensely after reading about him slacking in practice, scolding Bryant for being a recluse and focusing on his game, and had the nerve to criticize Pat Reilly for trying to make people work hard. The guy is a joke, a freak of nature no doubt, but otherwise a completely detestable human being.

Banned

Wilt Chamberlain in this era = Hilton Armstrong

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

It's close and I just won't disrespect those "OG's" accomplishments cause they had to play who the League ALLOWED them to play during a very openly racist time in our nation.

W/ that said you pick:

Shaq didn't win a title with his original team either.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Oops.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    He didn't have to change his game though which was what he was talking about.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I'd take Chamberlain. Just as big and strong. Both very athletic and agile for their sizes. But Wilt was more refined and skilled. A better rebounder, passer, and defender. Shaq was unstoppable 5 feet from the hoop, but Wilt could shot jumpers 15 feet out. Great post moves around the basket.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    I'd take Chamberlain. Just as big and strong. Both very athletic and agile for their sizes. But Wilt was more refined and skilled. A better rebounder, passer, and defender. Shaq was unstoppable 5 feet from the hoop, but Wilt could shot jumpers 15 feet out. Great post moves around the basket.
    I don't think anybody questions who was the more talented player of the two. As a matter of fact I don't think anybody questions that Wilt was the most talented player to play the game. However, a lot of people including myself have always questioned Wilt's mentality, which is something that nobody ever has and nobody ever will question Shaq about.

I've watched both Shaq and Wilt (albeit only older footage of Wilt mostly) and I think Shaq was a far better athlete.
    In his younger years Shaq was probably similar to young wilt only he was bigger stronger and a bit more explosive.

Dont forget how quick young Shaq was and how high he could jump. Shaq set the record in his rookie season in the combine by touching the backboard at 12feet,7 inches which is still a record held today.

In the playoffs its clear he produced at a higher level then Wilt did and as the years went by Wilt declined far quicker then Shaq did and the difference in Production/Impact between the two after 7-8 years really becomes quite large.

I think its clear who was/is the better player between the two.

No disrespect to Wilt who is my 3rd Center all time on my GOAT Centers list after Jabbar and Oneal.
    Last edited by 32Dayz; 11-16-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Wilt is better than Shaq, so I don't really see how this is debatable.
    no he wasn't. lol.

It depends on what era. If they were gonna call it like they used to call Shaq and let him be physical then Shaq is probably the most dominating player in NBA history. But if the refs were gonna be hos like they did near the end of Shaq's career then Wilt is much better.

That's one thing that keeps me from arguing Shaq's spot as the greatest Center ever because I know anyone can say, "Well, if they hit him with 2 quick BS fouls."

-Smak