Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
3ball
NBA Superstar
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14,412
Default Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

From Wiki:

In an NBA expansion draft, new NBA teams are allowed to acquire players from the previously established teams in the league. Not all players on a given team are available during an expansion draft, since each team can protect a certain number of players from being selected. In the 1988 expansion draft, each of the twenty-three other NBA teams protected eight players from their roster and the Timberwolves and the Magic selected eleven and twelve unprotected players respectively, one from each team.

Here are all of the players selected in the 1988, 1989, and 1995 expansion drafts - virtually ALL players were already NBA players:

1988: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NBA_Expansion_Draft
1989: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_NBA_Expansion_Draft
1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Expansion_Draft


One of the last remaining myths of new fans... DESTROYED...
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Levity
www.kevinscryptids.com
 
Levity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: long beach bred
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

excuse my ignorance... but what the fck is the myth?
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
sd3035
Impartial NBA analyst
 
sd3035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,075
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

never heard this "myth" before lol
sd3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Smoke117
Banned
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18,779
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Cool beans...tell me more?
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
HurricaneKid
College superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,777
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
excuse my ignorance... but what the fck is the myth?

I too would like to thank 3Ball for destroying that strawman.

Its what the expansion draft IS.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
3ball
NBA Superstar
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14,412
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
excuse my ignorance... but what the fck is the myth?
The myth is that expansion made the NBA weaker because they had to start picking up bums off the street or overseas players.

But it turns out that virtually all of the expansion players were already existing, NBA players, simply drafted from other teams that left them "unprotected".

So expansion didn't make the NBA weaker than it is today - there were 30 teams in the NBA back then (post-expansion), and 30 teams now - so the top 450 players (15 per team) made the NBA then and now.. There's zero difference.

However, even though expansion didn't make the league any weaker than today's fully-expanded game (30 teams), it did make the league weaker than PRE-expansion days, like the 80's, when there were only 20 teams.. With only 20 teams, that means 150 players from today's fully-expanded league wouldn't make the NBA in the 80's.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Smoke117
Banned
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18,779
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
excuse my ignorance... but what the fck is the myth?

He's basically trying to dispute the common knowledge that the talent was watered down (it was) during the Bulls 2nd three peat. This thread only has one purpose...which is the same purpose of all his threads: to prop up Jordie.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
3ball
NBA Superstar
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14,412
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117

He's basically trying to dispute the narrative of new fans that the talent was watered down during the Bulls 2nd three peat.

The myth created by new fans is that expansion made the NBA weaker because they had to start picking up bums off the street or overseas players.

But it turns out that virtually all of the expansion players were already existing, NBA players, simply drafted from other teams that left them "unprotected".

So expansion didn't make the NBA weaker than it is today - there were 30 teams in the NBA back then (post-expansion), and 30 teams now - so the top 450 players (15 per team) made the NBA then and now.. There's zero difference.

However, even though expansion didn't make the league any weaker than today's fully-expanded game (30 teams), it did make the league weaker than PRE-expansion days, like the 80's, when there were only 20 teams.. With only 20 teams, that means 150 players from today's fully-expanded league wouldn't make the NBA in the 80's.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Vaniiiia
Banned
 
Vaniiiia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: OKC-CLE
Posts: 794
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jordan+got+his+...bling+debt s+
Vaniiiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
Smoke117
Banned
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18,779
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
The myth created by new fans is that expansion made the NBA weaker because they had to start picking up bums off the street or overseas players.

But it turns out that virtually all of the expansion players were already existing, NBA players, simply drafted from other teams that left them "unprotected".

So expansion didn't make the NBA weaker than it is today - there were 30 teams in the NBA back then (post-expansion), and 30 teams now - so the top 450 players (15 per team) made the NBA then and now.. There's zero difference.

However, even though expansion didn't make the league any weaker than today's fully-expanded game (30 teams), it did make the league weaker than PRE-expansion days, like the 80's, when there were only 20 teams.. With only 20 teams, that means 150 players from today's fully-expanded league wouldn't make the NBA in the 80's.

I'm not a new fan, playboy. Scottie Pippen is my favorite player of all time...why would I want to bash the bulls for no reason? That would just reflecty poorly on him too, no? It's just a simple fact that the late 90s was watered down because of expansion. The bulls fed on and propped up their record on a lot of them. This can't be disputed.

You bringing up that they were already NBA players means nothing. They were the garbage left overs...the 11th, 12th guys on teams. You are literally disputing nothing, so shut your pie hole and move on.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
sd3035
Impartial NBA analyst
 
sd3035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,075
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Were gambling debts easier to pay off before the expansion?
sd3035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
ShawkFactory
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ATL
Posts: 5,884
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

The myth is not that these teams had bums from the streets. The FACT is that they were new franchises working out kinks with a random collection of players.

I would love to hear two expansion teams in the modern era that were a force right away. The Marlins are the only one I can think of and they spent an amazing amount of money. Hardly the case for those new NBA teams playing in a sport completely devoid of a cap with a lot more money in general than the NBA had....in a town with a lot of people and money.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
3ball
NBA Superstar
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14,412
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117

You bringing up that they were already NBA players means nothing. They were the garbage left overs...the 11th, 12th guys on teams.

So a league with 450 NBA players is softer than a league with 450 NBA players just because.... you said so?

Every league has bottom feeders.. There were 450 players in the league then and now - there's no difference.. You just refuse to accept the facts due to dumbness and/or bias.

You claim your favorite player is Pippen - that's all anyone needs to know to know you're a bitch... Bitch game recognize bitch game.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
SouBeachTalents
LeBron > Kobe
 
SouBeachTalents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10,798
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
So a league with 450 NBA players is softer than a league with 450 NBA players just because.... you said so?

Every league has bottom feeders.. There were 450 players in the league then and now - there's no difference.. You just refuse to accept the facts due to dumbness and/or bias.

You claim your favorite player is Pippen - that's all anyone needs to know to know you're a bitch... Bitch game recognize bitch game.

Then what does that say about your boy when that "bitch" made it past the first round without Jordan, but Jordan couldn't do the same without him?
SouBeachTalents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
Smoke117
Banned
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18,779
Default Re: Myth Exposed: ALL of the expansion players were already NBA players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
So a league with 450 NBA players is softer than a league with 450 NBA players just because.... you said so?

Every league has bottom feeders.. There were 450 players in the league then and now - there's no difference.. You just refuse to accept the facts due to dumbness and/or bias.

You claim your favorite player is Pippen - that's all anyone needs to know to know you're a bitch... Bitch game recognize bitch game.

Yeah...one of the greatest defensive players of all time, a guy who put his body on the line taking charges from a mack truck like Karl Malone...is a bitch.




As far as what you are babbling on about...what does the league now have to do with anything? Were talking about when the expansion teams first came onto the scene. The talent is obviously more spread out evenly now that the expansion teams are established, you dimwit.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 09-25-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy