Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Default Re: Some advice for basketball players

Basically the workout was some ball handling, followed by 2 ball Mikan drills.

Then spot up shooting from 7 spots close range, then mid range, making sure I hit at least 6/10 from each spot or I had to shoot all of them again. Afterwards move out to mid range and repeat.

For passing we did 2 ball passing and entry passes, then entry passes with a cut followed by a layup or a shot.

Then back to spot up shooting, except this time I would run into the pass, 7 spots make 5 each.

End workout with a full court spot up catch and shoot drill followed by 5 free throws made in a row.

In between each drill I'd have to shoot free throws and they had to be perfect swishes, normal makes didn't count and misses were -1. They set a number I had to get to and I'd have to reach it.

I'm doing this everyday, I might do it twice a day but my schedule is pretty full after school with driver's ed and a job so I'll probably just do it once before school and twice once I have more time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis

Then spot up shooting from 7 spots close range, then mid range, making sure I hit at least 6/10 from each spot or I had to shoot all of them again. Afterwards move out to mid range and repeat.

For passing we did 2 ball passing and entry passes, then entry passes with a cut followed by a layup or a shot.

Then back to spot up shooting, except this time I would run into the pass, 7 spots make 5 each.

End workout with a full court spot up catch and shoot drill followed by 5 free throws made in a row.

In between each drill I'd have to shoot free throws and they had to be perfect swishes, normal makes didn't count and misses were -1. They set a number I had to get to and I'd have to reach it.

I'm doing this everyday, I might do it twice a day but my schedule is pretty full after school with driver's ed and a job so I'll probably just do it once before school and twice once I have more time.
    ooh it sounds like a nice schedule. it would be great if you had videos of you playing(I must find people to model my game after. I only have tony parker, steve nash, and maybe a couple more. I don't know any overseas ones but I'm finding them out.) Oh yeah, I finally found my final shooting form. I just have to get used to it, so I can automatically do it without thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    ooh it sounds like a nice schedule. it would be great if you had videos of you playing(I must find people to model my game after. I only have tony parker, steve nash, and maybe a couple more. I don't know any overseas ones but I'm finding them out.) Oh yeah, I finally found my final shooting form. I just have to get used to it, so I can automatically do it without thinking.
    Yeah it's alright but it's kind of tough to get boards cause it makes repetition shooting harder. Sorry I don't have any videos though, I don't have any kind of filming device and for the most part, I practice alone so unless someone's secretly posting vids of me on youtube, you probably won't see me.

Good work on the shooting form though, once you pick it just stick to it. In all honesty it's probably easier to master shooting the way you do instead of always tweaking it. I'm quite form conscious so it bothers me but for the most part I've been getting my form down.

What's your playing style by the way? I think you might've said but I forgot.

I don't know who I play like anymore though. I'm trying to find a person that plays like me in the nba but having a hard time(maybe a person overseas plays like me). They all pretty much have unique styles.

I like focusing on primarily one area before switching to another one. Some games I might just have about 10 alley oops to someone if they're able to beat the person guarding them easily(Most people call it cheap lol. Most of them are assists and several jump shots.). Some games I might just stand at the 3 point line and be a sort of last option(if my teammates are doing their thang, I'll just shoot 3 pointers if they have to dish it out). If I know I could beat all the other players in speed, I sort of become semi derrick rose and penetrate through all of them(just sprinting and a bunch of offensive moves including behind the back/crossover/spin/and the usual stuff).

Edit: I guess I'm just trying to find myself in basketball. The good thing is that I'm finding myself out before it's too late(A lot of people I knew that are older and play basketball started to find themselves in sophomore and junior).
    Last edited by bobbyflay; 09-18-2010 at 01:11 AM.

I don't know who I play like anymore though. I'm trying to find a person that plays like me in the nba but having a hard time(maybe a person overseas plays like me). They all pretty much have unique styles.

I like focusing on primarily one area before switching to another one. Some games I might just have about 10 alley oops to someone if they're able to beat the person guarding them easily(Most people call it cheap lol. Most of them are assists and several jump shots.). Some games I might just stand at the 3 point line and be a sort of last option(if my teammates are doing their thang, I'll just shoot 3 pointers if they have to dish it out). If I know I could beat all the other players in speed, I sort of become semi derrick rose and penetrate through all of them(just sprinting and a bunch of offensive moves including behind the back/crossover/spin/and the usual stuff).

Edit: I guess I'm just trying to find myself in basketball. The good thing is that I'm finding myself out before it's too late(A lot of people I knew that are older and play basketball started to find themselves in sophomore and junior).
    Same here. For the most part I'll stay around the perimeter and either make a quick move to the basket or get the ball off me. It's not that I don't like the ball on me, but I try to be as efficient as possible without wasting time. Usually if I'm with better players, I get them the ball hopefully after drawing an extra defender and let them make a move using the extra time I gave them. Then if the ball comes back to me I'll either spot up or drive and finish/dish.

It's the same for me. I found the passion mid-sophomore year. I always loved to play, but I never thought about working at it. I'll probably tell the whole story another time.

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

It really goes to show you in basketball you really need the "it" factor to be a very skilled or great player. I know many people who do drills like this. It goes to show you even the the best like your coach all did the basic fundamentals to get where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
    It really goes to show you in basketball you really need the "it" factor to be a very skilled or great player. I know many people who do drills like this. It goes to show you even the the best like your coach all did the basic fundamentals to get where they are.
    So true. A quote I like is "People don't differ in their desire for success. People differ in the price they're willing to pay to be successful."

Everyone does basketball drills, and many people do the same ones. I know people who exclusively do workouts they see pros doing. But to me, I don't think just doing the drills is enough. My view is if I'm going to commit to getting better, I better go all out. So I just try and do as much as I can, learning and applying. Small things, like maybe walking up stairs at a time to improve balance, maybe use my offhand when I brush my teeth.

Then just doing more than other people. Waking up before school to workout, having a strict diet, getting studying done, I'm not sure if that's why you mean when you say the "it" factor, but the way I interpreted it is the desire to improve no matter what. In all honesty, it's not even as painful as people make it out to be. If you get used to waking up early and eating healthier foods, they seem pretty normal after a while. But yeah, I agree with you in that there's a certain characteristic of successful players/people compared to the common person.

Does anyone know where I can get some game tape of select NBA players? I don't watch the games but I'm trying to find some game footage of point guards so I can try and note their habits.

If anyone has clips of people like Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, Jameer Nelson, Monta Ellis, Rondo, Derrick Rose, George Hill or others, could you share them?

There's lots of highlight videos on youtube but those only show highlight plays (obviously), so I'm looking for more actions over the course of a game.

Does anyone know where I can get some game tape of select NBA players? I don't watch the games but I'm trying to find some game footage of point guards so I can try and note their habits.

If anyone has clips of people like Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, Jameer Nelson, Monta Ellis, Rondo, Derrick Rose, George Hill or others, could you share them?

There's lots of highlight videos on youtube but those only show highlight plays (obviously), so I'm looking for more actions over the course of a game.
    http://forum.rojadirecta.org/showthr...s-All-Stars%29

http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/f15/

yes always so helpful Does anyone know where to get full game basketball clips though? Just like you said, only highlights on youtube and other websites.

yes always so helpful Does anyone know where to get full game basketball clips though? Just like you said, only highlights on youtube and other websites.
    In the sites that i posted you can find full games,

LAL|LAC

Thank you!