Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Default 08 Celtics BARELY beat the 08 Cavs

with BRAWN shooting 36% with 5TPG, THE worst playoff series by a TOP 15 GOAT player in the history of the NBA and the Celtics got pushed to 7 Games.

Game 1 BRAWN went 2-18, 12 points, 10 TO's and the Cavs lost by FOUR!!

FOUR!!

If BRAWN makes 3 more FG's that game (which would have still been a horrifically bad game), the Celtics lose that series.

SO PLEASE stop with this silly notion that the 08 Celts were some sort of unstoppable worldbeating type team they were not.

Default Re: 08 Celtics BARELY beat the 08 Cavs

They were coasting, Celtics were one of few teams who could turn it on at will, and they did.

Nobody is saying that Cs '08 were "unstoppable worldbeating team", but they were one of the best champions in recent decade.

College superstar

I remember Kobe and LeBron both noting that the Boston '08 Boston defense was some of the most overpowing they had ever faced in their post game pressers after their respective teams losing the series. They both remarked just how stifling they were and how much space they took away.

College superstar

I remember one of the early games the Cavs started to pull away in the 2nd quarter and then Rondo saved the day by hitting multiple threes in a row. Meanwhile, Ray Allen was putting up bricks for days. Was that one of the series where KG went into his tiger stance? I know he did that a couple times.

Was it game 7 when LeBron could've won or tied the game near the end but blew a pretty wide open layup on the break? Cavs got killed by PJ Brown...

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    They were coasting, Celtics were one of few teams who could turn it on at will, and they did.

Nobody is saying that Cs '08 were "unstoppable worldbeating team", but they were one of the best champions in recent decade.
    Shoot they certainly act like it, like 90% of folks are saying they would summarily dismiss the 2001-2014 Heat because the Heat for example went 7 games with a worn down 12 Celtics.

If just doesn't make sense to me, they demote the Heat team's greatness based on something like that but casually brush aside the 08 Celtics going 7 games with a 47 win Hawk team a weak azz Cle team with it's best player played like absolute DOGCHIT

Even you brush off them going 7 games as them "just coasting", the hell is that? that's bullcrap that's what that is.

This is a team that STRUGGLED to avg 80 points, GREAT defensive team but VERY beatable.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

wow bran costing his team an opportunity to win the title

what's new

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    I remember one of the early games the Cavs started to pull away in the 2nd quarter and then Rondo saved the day by hitting multiple threes in a row. Meanwhile, Ray Allen was putting up bricks for days. Was that one of the series where KG went into his tiger stance? I know he did that a couple times.

Was it game 7 when LeBron could've won or tied the game near the end but blew a pretty wide open layup on the break? Cavs got killed by PJ Brown...
    It was a half court set and it was game one, that was BRAWN's worst playoff game of his career 2-18, 12 points, 10 TO's. The Cavs lost by four with as you said BRAWN having a chance to win the game but missed a bunny, that's how close the great 08 Celtics came to losing to a SHIT Cavs team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeqTcdauyU

If anything it shows how underrated those teams surrounded by LeBron were. Guy was shooting a putrid percentage, and overall, having an historically AWFUL series, yet his team were still in these games and took the C's to 7 games...

It can be argued that Boston played down to their competition, something I would say was partially true, but matchups play a big part here as well.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

^^

great point

so did Lebron have help or not bran stans??

Shoots 35% for the series with 5 turnovers per game

8-42 through games 1 and 2

his team still took the series to 7

"no help"

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    If anything it shows how underrated those teams surrounded by LeBron were. Guy was shooting a putrid percentage, and overall, having an historically AWFUL series, yet his team were still in these games and took the C's to 7 games...

It can be argued that Boston played down to their competition, something I would say was partially true, but matchups play a big part here as well.
    Yup. Cavs in 08, 09, and 10 were a great defensive and rebounding team that could stay in games even when their best offensive player was shitting the bed.

Not to take anything away from the Cavs, but if we're being honest, Pierce & Allen played like complete dogshit those first 4 games as well

Pierce: 13/5/4 on 35%
    Allen: 10/4/3 33%

That definitely helped level the playing field and helped somewhat offset LeBron playing horribly as well

Banned

Yeah I remember that. It was almost like that should of been the ECF that year. Boston had this new team that everyone thought would win from the start but the Cavs had made the finals the year before with LeBron carrying a lackluster roster. Now, we had made some big trades at the deadline a few months earlier. We got Ben Wallace, West, Wally Szberbiak. So, while there still wasn't a clear cut #2 option, these guys seemed better than what LeBron carried before. Wallace was still pretty good defensively, Wally was lights out from 3 and West was one of the better scoring bench guards at the time. I really thought we had a chance when it went to game 7. That was also the series where LeBron told his mom to sit her ass down.

Craziest thing about this series for me is it really illustrates the power of the media because ALL anyone remembers about this series is that BRAWN and Pierce had an epic duel in Gm 7.

NO ONE and I do mean NO ONE remembers that dude had the worst playoff series for an all time great ever. No one remembers 2-18 12 points, 10 TO's, no one remembers him shooting 36% FG and avg 5 TO's.

Not even the most virulent Lebron haters and Kobe stans seem to be aware of just how putrid this guy was in this series. You see the one Kobestan in here damn near soiled him self cause he got some new ammo

It goes to show you it's ALL about narratives man, nobody gives a crap about the details. This is why Lebron came to Miami because he understood history wouldnt remember the decision and him colluding etc. all that will be remembered is that he is a champion.

Banned

Lol LeBron ended up playing better against the 2008 Celtics than Kobe did that year. Chalk another L for OP