Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Iman Shumpert re-signs with Cavs for 4/40

Iman is also a good guy.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

The thing that bugs me the most about Shump is his inability to get a layup on a fastbreak Sometimes he'll get a perfect steal, get on the break, and totally blow it

Looking at what the Cavs D was before the trading deadline vs. after it...

I'm not so sure about the four years, but the $10 million isn't terrible. He's still young, although I don't think his offensive game will improve drastically.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Looking at what the Cavs D was before the trading deadline vs. after it...

I'm not so sure about the four years, but the $10 million isn't terrible. He's still young, although I don't think his offensive game will improve drastically.
    Maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong but...

If they didn't pay him, the alternative is losing him, and not being able to sign someone else due to being over the cap.

Dan Gilbert is a big spender

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong but...

If they didn't pay him, the alternative is losing him, and not being able to sign someone else due to being over the cap.

Dan Gilbert is a big spender
    Yeah, they lose him if they don't sign.
    Dan will have to pay a lot of money, but why would we care about that?

Dan Gilbert stays winning

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I don't see how he could have been better. He never had been put on the hot seat with that many consecutive talented guards. I thought he was awesome.

People usually remember the last thing they saw in these kinds of situations and Shump had some problems after he hurt his shoulder in the Golden State series. But, through the first three rounds and then the first two games of the Finals, he was worth every penny of a $10 million contract.

Klay Thompson shot 40% from the field and 30% from three in The Finals after having splits of 46/43/76 in the previous three rounds. That wasn't a coincidence. Shumpert was in his shirt all series.

In the ECF, Korver was 4-for-10 from three prior to getting hurt at the end of Game 2. He was having a difficult time even getting shots up.

And, Shump is only just turned 25 this past month. He's a part of the team's longterm core.
    Korver is kind of a one trick pony though. I mean if you stick to him at the 3pt line he will not do anything.Plus he is rarely good in the playoffs.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    $10 mil a year for 8 and 3?

Box score #'s aren't always everything.

Any word on what J.R. is doing? I really hope we bring him back, regardless of how he performed in the finals. He obviously fit in with our roster very well this past season, and was crucial to our success, including through most of the playoffs.

I know he opted out days ago but I haven't heard much since...
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 07-02-2015 at 12:36 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Oh my gosh, this guy is not a 10 milion a year player.. The Cavs are crazy... He would not have gotten anything close to that on the open market... Dude is lucky he can shoot over 40 percent... Cavs management is garbage..

Did the Cavs front office find a way to turn off the salary cap in MyGM? How the f**k are they affording all this?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Did the Cavs front office find a way to turn off the salary cap in MyGM? How the f**k are they affording all this?
    They aren't using cap for this....has nothing to do with the cap. It's all about how much tax they are willing to spend.

Word on the street is that the Haywood contract is up next....so they are adding even more salary for next season.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Salary cap doesn't apply to guys who were on your payroll prior to their contracts expiring or opting out. Well, it does apply... if you are too far over, you have to pay a luxury tax.

But, there is no ceiling on what you're technically allowed to spend bringing guys back. It's just that most owners still really care about their own personal bottom lines and how signing guys could knock it down a few pegs. That's why we've literally never seen spending like this in a 365 day span in NBA history.

Dan Gilbert gives zero f#cks. That's the kind of owner every fan of every organization should want.

He spent $265 million today on Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson and Iman Shumpert. Next up? Figuring out what to do with the Haywood contract. See, most owners would just let it expire since they're already headed into record spending.

Dan Gilbert? Don't be surprised if he is looking for more assets to bring into town. That could be another near max player or a couple of $6m/year guys.

Oh... and the last order of business will be signing LeBron James to his max deal.

A lot of organizations give lip service about being "all-in" and doing everything in their power to get a championship. Gilbert is putting his money where his mouth is. Next year's Cavaliers will have the highest payroll in NBA history by a considerable margin, more than likely.

Lebron will prob sign a 1 year so that he can resign after the cap raises for a crazy max for his last biggest contract.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

No problem with this contract, the over-reaction is largely coming from the fact the Cavs resigned all 3 roleplayers to HUGE contracts. If you look at Shump's alone, it's a fine deal.

worth every penny just for the simple fact that it keeps lebron away from all the damn defensive duties.