Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Come witness the toe on the line 2 pointer in its natural habitat.

The early 1990s.....

In that case shown by Glen Rice. One of the best outside shooters ever.....but he like many of his time would often just pullup from wherever they happened to be and not even consider the footwork that could get them the extra point. He had 2 more close ones that game but I only took the actual foot on the line shots. It kinda makes me wonder what a lot of guys numbers would look like if only they had the natural inclination to ease outside a little to be sure its a 3. Most of the best shooters then did it. Watch Reggie highlights....Mullin. Whoever. Lots of long loooong twos that might as well be for 3. Its one aspect of fundamentals I have to give the guys today the edge on. If youre gonna shoot from 22ish feet anyway....get 3 points. But most of these guys never had a 3 point line in their youth. Some never had a 3 point line till they got to the NBA so they never developed that same spacial awareness that shooters have now to just feel where the line is.

A guy like Mark Price could shoot with damn near anyone then or now and was incredibly smart. But he still might come off a screen and shoot a 21' 10'' corner jumper....or even cook you with the kinda nasty stepbacks 19 year olds think started a few years ago....then hit a 23 footer for 2:

It kills me watching old games. It kinda bugged me then too with some of our guys like BJ Armstrong. Shooting 45% from 3 but taking toe on the line shots wide open. John Paxon would take those 20 footers all day too. You watch it like "Dude....they didnt even close out on you!". They would make it....and thats what counts but....you know?

I dont really have a point or anything(shocking I know) but I wanted to vent for a moment before I go to the gym.

I hope nobody is around the heavy bag. I love the heavy bag but in all honesty.....ive gone soft. That bag barely moves when I hit it and its just a bad look to be in there going all out on it like 86 Tyson. Im not trying to impress anyone but...you dont want the bag just shrugging you off you know? Real "Ive fallen allllllll the way off" moment of clarity hitting that thing at times......

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

Default Re: Come witness the toe on the line 2 pointer in its natural habitat.

This is why loss of physicality is overstated as a reason for the success of current perimeter guys. Those shots were there for guys in the 90s, they just refused to or didn't care to take them. Making the simple change of not stepping forward for a shot, or moving that lead foot back an inch or two would have made those guys' numbers improve at the time. They just had no clue it was the right thing to do.

Get closer for the higher percentage shot was engrained in guys' minds from the pre-three point era when it made a ton of sense and was the right way to play.

There were still long distance bombers then though. My favorite was Dan Majerle.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

The only justification I can see is that they're just trying to get into a rhythm and sometimes that last step before the jumper just happens to land right on the line, today's players are definitely more conscious about where they land. We literally saw Harden travel just to turn a long 2 into a 3 vs Jazz last year

It's all about adapting, most should adapt if they played today... but DeRozan still does so that's why I say most. Definitely frustrating to watch

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

It's a beautiful shot to me because it screams "I'm a shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Ainosterhaspie View Post
    This is why loss of physicality is overstated as a reason for the success of current perimeter guys. Those shots were there for guys in the 90s, they just refused to or didn't care to take them. Making the simple change of not stepping forward for a shot, or moving that lead foot back an inch or two would have made those guys' numbers improve at the time. They just had no clue it was the right thing to do.

Get closer for the higher percentage shot was engrained in guys' minds from the pre-three point era when it made a ton of sense and was the right way to play.

There were still long distance bombers then though. My favorite was Dan Majerle.

They just didnt think about it. Plays today are run specifically to end in a guy being 25 feet from the basket. They practice with 4 point lines to be sure in some cases. The Bucks, Hawks, and Philly at least. Back then they just wanted to get open. Didnt care from where.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    They just didnt think about it. Plays today are run specifically to end in a guy being 25 feet from the basket. They practice with 4 point lines to be sure in some cases. The Bucks, Hawks, and Philly at least. Back then they just wanted to get open. Didnt care from where.
    It was such an innocent time when NBA players could play with the same carefree joy that kids have. Just doing what feels right. Now we have professionals.

Look at this game from Christian Laettner

With that touch…he only made 2 threes that season. Just giving points away.

7-time NBA All-Star

Thread Cliffs:

Previous eras had absolutely mastered 2-pointers and had the same advantage on 2-pointers that today's era has on 3-pointers

This explains why league ORTG remained near today's levels despite a tougher defensive format (no spacing, physicality, weaker offensive strategy that pursued 2"s)

Im not talking about Bernard King or Alex English making nasty 12 footers over giants I’m talking about people who already play and shoot from 18-20 feet regularly spotting up and taking shots for less points like idiots. It was just bad basketball when you think it through. I’m not saying mastering closer shots is bad. I’m saying shooting a two point 20 foot 9 inch shot at 42% is stupid when 3 inches away you can get an extra point at 39%.

If you’re gonna play that far away do it for more points. It shouldn’t have taken 20 years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Jerry Sichting would have been a lethal 3 point shooter today.

Im sure a lot of those knockdown 16-20 foot guys would be. My problem is more of them should have been then. Not like math was invented in 1993.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Chris Mullin today would be unreal from three point range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The early 1990s.....

In that case shown by Glen Rice. One of the best outside shooters ever.....but he like many of his time would often just pullup from wherever they happened to be and not even consider the footwork that could get them the extra point. He had 2 more close ones that game but I only took the actual foot on the line shots. It kinda makes me wonder what a lot of guys numbers would look like if only they had the natural inclination to ease outside a little to be sure its a 3. Most of the best shooters then did it. Watch Reggie highlights....Mullin. Whoever. Lots of long loooong twos that might as well be for 3. Its one aspect of fundamentals I have to give the guys today the edge on. If youre gonna shoot from 22ish feet anyway....get 3 points. But most of these guys never had a 3 point line in their youth. Some never had a 3 point line till they got to the NBA so they never developed that same spacial awareness that shooters have now to just feel where the line is.

A guy like Mark Price could shoot with damn near anyone then or now and was incredibly smart. But he still might come off a screen and shoot a 21' 10'' corner jumper....or even cook you with the kinda nasty stepbacks 19 year olds think started a few years ago....then hit a 23 footer for 2:

It kills me watching old games. It kinda bugged me then too with some of our guys like BJ Armstrong. Shooting 45% from 3 but taking toe on the line shots wide open. John Paxon would take those 20 footers all day too. You watch it like "Dude....they didnt even close out on you!". They would make it....and thats what counts but....you know?

I dont really have a point or anything(shocking I know) but I wanted to vent for a moment before I go to the gym.

I hope nobody is around the heavy bag. I love the heavy bag but in all honesty.....ive gone soft. That bag barely moves when I hit it and its just a bad look to be in there going all out on it like 86 Tyson. Im not trying to impress anyone but...you dont want the bag just shrugging you off you know? Real "Ive fallen allllllll the way off" moment of clarity hitting that thing at times......
    Didn't they shorten the three line for a few years? Surely for a few years it eliminated a lot of what you're describing.