Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Memphis wants Deng/Green

Memphis wants to trade for Miami's L. Deng or Boston's Jeff Green.

What does Memphis even have to trade for Deng?
    I think Miami will stick with Deng for now unless they can swing a 3-way.

I don't know jack about Green. He can score at the same clip as Deng with less defense Im guessing.

(multiple sauces)
    Last edited by 305Baller; 01-08-2015 at 02:18 PM.

College superstar

Default Re: Memphis wants Deng/Green

Since none other than Mozgov is worth two first round picks, I'd say Memphis would have to offer Marc Gasol, and they'd still be turned down.

I am your soldier!

Jeff Green for Tayshaun and a first is probably enough.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

God no to Deng on that fresh contract. He's just Prince 5 years ago at this point.

Green is tempting in a sly way, but I don't know if he's really moving the needle either. He could give the Grizz a different look and play backup 4, which is their weakest position with Leuer. But that's getting into identity shift territory with a player who has never proven to be consistent.

Also, I'm assuming the trade would be Tayshaun's expiring plus a future 1st rounder. I worry about the Grizzlies having youth going forward, but they've not been a historically strong team at drafting, to say the least.

I have to add: As much as I've dreaded seeing him on the court for the past 3 years, I don't know if I'd give up the ol' 'veteran/winner presence'. I haven't seen much green in a couple years, but he never seemed to have the 'tough-as-shit' intangible that every other major rotation player has.

If they get Deng , Gasol is gone next season

College superstar

Zach Randolph, Tayshaun Prince, and 2016, 2018 first round picks for Melo?

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
    I haven't seen much green in a couple years, but he never seemed to have the 'tough-as-shit' intangible that every other major rotation player has.
    Green is ideally a 4th or 5th option. Dude can't reliably score as a go to guy. Doesn't have the fire. If he doesn't have to worry about scoring in the last 3 minutes he's fine. That's Conley, ZBo VC and Marc time anyway.

Solid team defender, can play 3 and 4. Decent corner 3, can guard his guy. Awful footwork.

He's best taking 2-3 dribbles and pulling up or going to the rim. Shouldn't ball handle much other than that. Better than average role player with a big game every 10 or so.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Zach Randolph, Tayshaun Prince, and 2016, 2018 first round picks for Melo?
    Getrrrdone, Phil.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Lee + Prince for Deng?

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Lee + Prince for Deng?
    God no.

The Heat are in desperate need of a PG, followed by a Center.
    Unless Deng can bring in a PG so we can get rid of Chalmers, I say no.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Green is ideally a 4th or 5th option. Dude can't reliably score as a go to guy. Doesn't have the fire. If he doesn't have to worry about scoring in the last 3 minutes he's fine. That's Conley, ZBo VC and Marc time anyway.

Solid team defender, can play 3 and 4. Decent corner 3, can guard his guy. Awful footwork.

He's best taking 2-3 dribbles and pulling up or going to the rim. Shouldn't ball handle much other than that. Better than average role player with a big game every 10 or so.
    The every '10' or so is what bothers me. Every 5 and I'd roll the dice. I look at it as come playoffs, the core four are gonna be right there with any team. The Grizz have never had anyone outside of those guys who is capable of swinging a playoff game in their favor (a la reggie jackson vs MEM last year). I couldn't be more pumped to have Carter (and resurgent CLee aka Danny Green Sr.) I wouldn't bet the farm on Jeff Green being an x-factor on the playoff margins.

Would rather have him than Wilson Chandler though. God I hope they don't go that route.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    God no.

The Heat are in desperate need of a PG, followed by a Center.
    Unless Deng can bring in a PG so we can get rid of Chalmers, I say no.
    I just don't want to see the Cole/Chalmers combo anymore. Courtney Lee off the bench would be an upgrade instantly with his willing defense and 49% 3pt shooting.

I'm also really banking on Granger being healthy and starting to provide more consistent shooting for Wade's dishes. Deng's shooting is too erratic. Prince's $7.7m expiring contract would make Wade happy next year and could contribute some this year. The Griz would probably have to add a pick to sweeten the deal.

Of course another move needs to be done, but with the emergence of Whiteside, I don't know where another center would fit in the rotation. I would love to see another point guard but not for Chalmers as much as he frustrates me. I don't think Cole really wants to be here so I rather see him leave.

So basically I don't trust this Heat team the way it is right now, and I don't think you can get much for Deng. They can go after one of the Suns' point guards but who's going to back Wade up? Chalmers/Cole? Who's going to replace Deng's position? James Ennis? What's the master plan for next year? Heat are too tight on cap space. I think it'll be a mistake if we don't let Deng go for Lee/Prince/Pick. That combo would give the Heat at least the same amount of production and impact as Deng while still preparing for next year. Trading for a point guard is not going to get us winning big this year unless we get a top 6-8 one...unlikely.

Banned

Deng on Memphis might equal a title. That being said I don't see Miami going for the tank. If they ever got healthy they're among the better teams out east.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Jeff Green for Tayshaun and a first is probably enough.
    I'd do it. Prince is an expirerer.