Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Default Re: Derrick Rose vs. Russel Westbrook: The Debate On Athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Okay dunce boy, Who was the better athlete, Kobe or Jordan? Only a god damn moron would say that they were equal. They are close(ish) but MJ is CLEARLY athletically superior. It's exactly the same with Rose/Westbrook.

And last I checked, 90% of Americans believe in 'GOD'. My being in the minority doesn't necessarily mean I'm delusional.
    Alright well I'm convinced now that you're trolling so I'm done here. lol

Quote Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
    Alright well I'm convinced now that you're trolling so I'm done here. lol

You're clueless.

That's some failed logic right there. Their 3/4 sprints are identical....yet Westbrook is a "slightly better open court fast-break athlete"? hmmmmmmm

And you're right, Rose is more explosive, agile, compact and a better leaper. So how is it a draw?
    Well, for starters, those are just pre-draft measurements and tell us about the athletes at that time (2008). Both likely improved in some areas since then because they physically look stronger now. In my eyes neither of them is the clear-cut winner or loser as far as athleticism is concerned. In footage, Westbrook looks like he is faster in a straight line on the break but maybe I'm wrong. Who cares anyways? At least I took the time to type out and bring some facts to the table - thanks for acknowledging that part...

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Well, for starters, those are just pre-draft measurements and tell us about the athletes at that time (2008). Both likely improved in some areas since then because they physically look stronger now. In my eyes neither of them is the clear-cut winner or loser as far as athleticism is concerned. In footage, Westbrook looks like he is faster in a straight line on the break but maybe I'm wrong. Who cares anyways? At least I took the time to type out and bring some facts to the table - thanks for acknowledging that part...
    THANK YOU CavaliersFTW. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. YOU HAVE BROUGHT RELEVANT, INTERESTING STATISTICAL EVIDENCE TO THIS THREAD AND I APPLAUD YOU FOR IT. IF I COULD PLUS REP YOU, I WOULD.

Is that good enough? Please let me know if you still aren't satisfied

No seriously though, I do appreciate it. Draft measurements and workouts are always intriguing.

I would say they are probably equal in full court speed but Rose CLEARLY has a quicker first step and is a faster accelerator. Westbrook may be slightly longer than Rose but like I said, Rose is more agile and a better leaper. Why is it so hard for people to see that Rose has a clear athletic edge over Westbrook? That's not a slight on Russ, I just think Rose is THAT explosive.

I'll say this again....it's a very similar comparison to Kobe vs MJ. One of them is OBVIOUSLY a better athlete!!

Very good NBA starter

Im not gonna use combine results but on game film Westbrook is tad more explosive off one foot and might be a hair faster straight-line

Rose gets up higher and is quicker i think. He also jumps higher

5-time NBA All-Star

Rose athleticism is more tied to basketball skills, so we see him as being more athletic. As oolalaa said the first step, and stop and go with the dribble, change of directions, not needing momentum, better balance, better last step (this is why a lot of times people are stunned and don

[QUOTE=Pointguard]Rose athleticism is more tied to basketball skills, so we see him as being more athletic. As oolalaa said the first step, and stop and go with the dribble, change of directions, not needing momentum, better balance, better last step (this is why a lot of times people are stunned and don

#HEATNATION

Westbrick>Rose

#HEATNATION

This shouldn't even be a debate.

Westbrook is a great athlete. Rose is one of the greatest athletes in NBA history.

Just use your eyes people - Rose is a freak. Rose has one of the quickest 1st steps the league has ever seen, and imo, is the fastest accelerating player of all time (have you ever seen someone blow by Rondo off the dribble - who is one of the quickest players in the league today - as easily as Rose does?? it's crazy). Rose is explosive in ways that Westbrook can only dream of (watch his legs when he goes up for a jump shot. It's like he has springs on the soles of his feet )

He also jumps a good 3/4 inches higher than Russ as well - I always get the impression that Westbrook is stretching just ever so slightly when he dunks, just like Wade. I never get that impression with Rose.

And don't forget agility. Very few players in the league can contort their body like Rose does when he's driving to the hoop. Westbrook is not one of them.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Rose over Westbrook...

Vert about the same
    Speed about the same

But what makes Rose better in my opinon is his agility and strength.

Rose can straight line drive and snake though with angles, he also finishes better with more control, whereas ninja turtle is all straight lines when he drives and he gets bumped off layups easier then Rose.

My main reason for Rose being stronger is these two plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ugGOjUwlCY

Any other point would be a pool of splat on the floor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCd1qbbylag

from 1:55 onwards, just brushes off KG. Granted KG is old but the man is still 6"11/7"

Both freak athletes!!

Good High School Starter

I can give athleticism to Rose.
    Westbrook is the better dunker though to me.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Leaping Ability - Westbrook
    Speed - Equal
    Quickness - Rose
    Agility - Rose
    Strength - Rose

And I'm a Westbrook fan.
    Rose has a better vertical. At least thats what their combine numbers said.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    I can give athleticism to Rose.
    Westbrook is the better dunker though to me.
    I think this is the best way to put it.
    BTW some said rose is the most athletic player they have ever seen.May i ask how old are you?(fair question)

Rose is a more fluid athlete. Westbrook is a more explosive athlete.

I don't care about combine numbers here anymore then I care what a WR can run without a helmet or pads and no one chasing him at the combine.

In game speed Westbrook looks far more explosive. Rose looks far more fluid.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Warners0
    Rose has a better vertical. At least thats what their combine numbers said.
    I don't know if Rose will ever have that 40" vertical again. He still has hops when he wants to, but that toe and back has made him very hesitant on dunks. I haven't seen him go up will full force and throw one down this whole season.