Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Derrick Rose vs. Russel Westbrook: The Debate On Athleticism

These two men are widly considered to be the two most athletic point guards in the world, if not guards. I've seen various argumentative series of posts here and there but can't recall any formal thread being created.

So here it is.

Derrick Rose vs. Russel Westbrook: The Debate On Athleticism

You may consider these following things when picking a side:
    -Leaping Ability
    -Explosiveness
    -Speed
    -Quickness
    -Agility
    -Strength
    Last edited by koBEDABEST; 02-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Derrick Rose vs. Russel Westbrook: The Debate On Athleticism

I'd give it to Rose, mostly cause how he makes decisions with his athleticism. Westbrook is awesome, but can be a little reckless with it, more raw. Rose's looks more polished and does a better job evading. So I'm going with Rose, but you definitely can't go wrong with Westbrook either.

Decent playground baller

imm go with rose

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Leaping Ability - Westbrook
    Speed - Equal
    Quickness - Rose
    Agility - Rose
    Strength - Rose

And I'm a Westbrook fan.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Why can't they just be equally athletic?

I'd easily take Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
    I'd give it to Rose, mostly cause how he makes decisions with his athleticism. Westbrook is awesome, but can be a little reckless with it, more raw. Rose's looks more polished and does a better job evading. So I'm going with Rose, but you definitely can't go wrong with Westbrook either.
    I would agree with this. Both are definitely on the same level on just about every category listed.

Coming into the league here are their predraft numbers.
    Rose: 34.5 no step vert, 40 max vert, 10 bench press, 11.69 lane agility, 3.05 3/4 court sprint

Westbrook: 30 no step vert, 36.5 max vert, 12 bench press, 10.98 lane agility, 3.08 3/4 court sprint

Obviously those numbers could of changed a little bit, but both are pretty identical and I'd say athletically they're still very identical today.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MontaHardaway's Avatar

I'd take Westbrook. his back ain't broke

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    I would agree with this. Both are definitely on the same level on just about every category listed.

Coming into the league here are their predraft numbers.
    Rose: 34.5 no step vert, 40 max vert, 10 bench press, 11.69 lane agility, 3.05 3/4 court sprint

Westbrook: 30 no step vert, 36.5 max vert, 12 bench press, 10.98 lane agility, 3.08 3/4 court sprint

Obviously those numbers could of changed a little bit, but both are pretty identical and I'd say athletically they're still very identical today.
    I think Westbrook's vert has changed significantly since he came into the league. He made that a point of focus this offseason and it shows. Royce Young (DailyThunder) thinks he's added at least 5" to his vert...which puts him right there with Rose assuming Rose has not increased his since entering the league.

They both have to be over 40" vert running. Have to be. They get way too high on dunks and blocks and such.

Banned

They're pretty equal overall. Westbrook is more explosive but Rose is more agile and has way better body control.

Rose is better at controlling himself though, Westbrook still gets out of control some times but he's definitely getting better compared to last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
    I think Westbrook's vert has changed significantly since he came into the league. He made that a point of focus this offseason and it shows. Royce Young (DailyThunder) thinks he's added at least 5" to his vert...which puts him right there with Rose assuming Rose has not increased his since entering the league.

They both have to be over 40" vert running. Have to be. They get way too high on dunks and blocks and such.
    Definitely wouldn't be surprised. I think tossing both those guys a basketball and putting them on the court is a little different than having them jump on a vert tree too.

I really think they're comparable in just about every way in terms of athletic ability, both just freaks on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Definitely wouldn't be surprised. I think tossing both those guys a basketball and putting them on the court is a little different than having them jump on a vert tree too.

I really think they're comparable in just about every way in terms of athletic ability, both just freaks on the court.
    Exactly. I'm not sure why one has to be more athletic than the other. They both know how to exploit that athleticism to score the ball. I'd rather just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts because when they start losing it we'll be reminiscing about the days when they could jump through the top of the stadium.

Not airballing my layups anymore

I'd take Rose by a slight margin because of his quickness and body control.

It's so close I don't care, they're on the same level. One being just a bit ahead of the other isn't what's going to seperate them in terms of basketball players.