Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: 2nd three peat Jordan is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Scottie Pippen was a really good player?

Why are virtually all your post in some way related to how overrated Jordan was and/or how underrated/great Lebron is?
    Because he's just a Pauk alt.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Oh is he? I don't really keep track of these types of things. I guess it makes sense though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

He carried the bulls in the 1998 Finals when Pippen and Rodman were MIA the entire series... Rodman only averaged 8 rebs per game and Pippen averaged 15ppg on 41% shooting, worse than Wade this year.

The way the entire 1998 season went, Jordan clearly saved himself for the playoffs where his PER jumped to 28.1 (up from 25.3 in the regular season), then he ended the Finals with a game winner.

Then there was the flu game in 1997 Finals to go along with more game winners.

Still pretty much had it to imo.

Jordan at 35 over Shawn Kemp and Illgauskas

Jordan at 34 over Shaq

Ostertag 1998
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-26-2014 at 06:18 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

You forgot where MJ dunked over Mutombo I think at age 34 too.

2nd threepeat Jordan is more of a display of heart/will power. Things like the flu game, coming back from the Orlando loss, and winning the second threepeat with the game winning defensive and offensive plays is a work of art. Plus leading the Bulls to a record 72-10 season.

To me that's just as impressive as anything during the first threepeat, even though that era has its own charms.

Great college starter

He had the most stacked team in the league. The league sucked. What other teams were good? The Jazz and the Sonics...
    Not overrated though. He was still the best player in the world. He had no rival. Wish we had a chance to against prime Kobe. Battle The Spurs and Lakers.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    He had the most stacked team in the league. The league sucked. What other teams were good? The Jazz and the Sonics...
    Not overrated though. He was still the best player in the world. He had no rival. Wish we had a chance to against prime Kobe. Battle The Spurs and Lakers.
    94-95 and 95-96 Orlando Magic is better than any team in the league the last two years (prime Shaq demolishes any front court in today's NBA + 4 other legit scoring options).

The post-94 Knicks weren't exactly roll overs either, they would last year's version of the Heat far more headaches than that candy-ass version of the Pacers.

'98 Pacers were a very, very good team also.

Spurs were good too, not MJ's fault DRob couldn't get over the hump into the Finals until he retired again.

There's lots of decent squads, the Mutombo-Steve Smith Hawks probably would win the East last year, they're about the equivalent of today's Pacers, probably a bit better actually. I'd say the Zo + LJ Hornets would do quite well in today's East too.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 07-26-2014 at 07:37 AM.

There definitely is a lot of similarity between 08-10 Kobe and 96-98 Jordan. (I'm taking title seasons, but in terms of level of play 07-09 might be a better selection)

Jordan played smarter, but it's not a complete blasphemy to suggest that you could have gotten similar results replacing one with the other.

Besides, if you accept that, you must also be prepared to accept that Kobe never touched peak Jordan level. His best was what people called decline when talking about Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Most of the players in the "Top 10" all time, have never even 3 peated once. Coming back after a 1.5 year hiatus, and 3 peating for a second time is overrated?

He was old tho. I see what he means. I don't wanna say dude could hardly dunk, but he was definitely a cerebral player. He probably had a much better understanding of the game and was much more driven after his dad got kilt.

Plus there was plenty of fixing. So so much fixing.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    double post: pauk has alts, I am sure, but I think you are giving him a lot of credit in terms of being able to disguise himself. He has a certain way of typing... he's not American, is he? He says funky things like paukisms.

I'd say roundball is someone else's alt.

-Smak

College superstar

Wow. I assumed everyone knew this. Turns out not to be the case. At all.

Pippen led the team in RAPM all three years (albeit narrowly in the first two years). In 08 Jordan fell all the way to #22 in RAPM and was barely above avg defensively.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Yeah, and where was Chicago without Pippen? They slipped from 69 wins in 97' to a 56 win pace without him. WITH Pippen the Bulls barely beat the Pacers in the ECF. Without him that does not happen.

It is true the "supporting cast" struggled, but that is because their shooting percentages plummeted without Pippen there to make them better. When Scottie returned, everyone saw a significant boost in their shooting percentages and CHI went from a 56 win pace to a 67 win pace.
    I remember Phil Jackson complaining to the media about Mj's shot selection in the beginning of the season (98) because he was not shooting good enough (injury to his finger?), but yeah it was a struggle without pippen.. losing to the celtics and teams like that.

MJ was past his prime after he came back from his first retirement, but he was still the best.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    There definitely is a lot of similarity between 08-10 Kobe and 96-98 Jordan. (I'm taking title seasons, but in terms of level of play 07-09 might be a better selection)

Jordan played smarter, but it's not a complete blasphemy to suggest that you could have gotten similar results replacing one with the other.

Besides, if you accept that, you must also be prepared to accept that Kobe never touched peak Jordan level. His best was what people called decline when talking about Jordan.
    Kobe doesn't come close to peak Jordan. Jordan was far superior athletically and had huge hands. Kobe's athleticism is nothing special. It is on par with JR Smith's athleticism.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

He carried the bulls in the 1998 Finals when Pippen and Rodman were MIA the entire series...

Pippen's defense led them to 3 of their 4 wins and a 3-1 lead. Only by Game 5 when his back gave out did his contributions diminish--he was just a decoy in Game 6 and was in and out of that game. However, he was the front-runner for FMVP through 4 games (again, when Chicago won 3 of their 4 games)--yet MJ stans are saying he was "MIA"?

At Every Turn, Jazz Finds Pippen; The Bulls' Consummate Defender Picks Apart the Pick-and-Roll

By MIKE WISE

Published: June 9, 1998

Scottie Pippen was buzzing John Stockton like an annoying gnat in the backcourt, filling the passing lanes the way Coach Jerry Sloan wishes his players would and taking a charge from Karl Malone under the basket. On the next Utah Jazz possession, Pippen caused more havoc.

''He is probably the only guy in basketball who draws offensive fouls anymore,'' Sloan said today. ''He had a ton of them last night, I think eight or nine. That was about as good a display of being able to step up and take a charge as you'll see.''

Pippen, a roving linebacker in high-tops, is using the finals to reaffirm his position as the game's most complete and chaos-inspiring defensive player. On Sunday night, he was largely responsible for the lowest scoring total in National Basketball Association history since the advent of the shot clock, when the Chicago Bulls pulverized the Jazz, 96-54, to take a two-games-to-one lead in the four-of-seven-game series.

Pippen roamed the floor, spreading his 6-foot-7-inch angular body from player to player on the Jazz roster. Twenty-six Utah turnovers and an unprecedented finals rout later, everyone wanted to know how one player could cause such disruption.

He has obliterated the criticism he once received for not being physical enough. This post-season alone, he shut down Charlotte's Glen Rice in the second round and discombobulated the Pacers' offense in the Eastern Conference finals.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/09/sp...art.html?sec=&

But it was all Mike.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    double post: pauk has alts, I am sure, but I think you are giving him a lot of credit in terms of being able to disguise himself. He has a certain way of typing... he's not American, is he? He says funky things like paukisms.

I'd say roundball is someone else's alt.

-Smak
    Who has a similar writing and argument style to me?