Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned

Default Re: Why did the SG position seemingly die?

Because Kobe got hurt. And Wade is dying. They were the last great SG

Harden is ass

I don't like a league with Harden as the premier SG.

I actually mean when I say this: I hope Kobe comes back 25/5/5 level, because we all know a statline like that from bean is worth alot more than the same line from Harden.

Hope Beal, Stephenson, Derozan all take a step forward this coming season. If Beal can jump up to that 20ppg+ status while Lance gets around 17-20 and Derozan gets to 25ppg the SG should look decent at best next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Dude he hasn't been the same IMO since 2010. That game winner over Wade that year is still my favorite shot of all time . Tried it at the gym the next day and hit a girl in the face who was texting on the benches near by

Brad Beal is coming up. He could actually be a really special player. The second half of last season he played at a legit all star level.

Harden
    Derozan
    Beal
    Ellis
    Westbrook
    Klay Thompson

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but lots of pg's would have been 2's in previous years

SG has never been a strong position.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    SG has never been a strong position.
    do you think it's better off letting players decide which position they would like to play?

or has there just been the common myth that a guard can help his team best by playing the point position?

Dunking on everybody in the park

To dominate in the SG position you need to have superior skills.

So less talented players prefer to be Point Guards so they can hog the ball and pad their stats.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

the difference with today's SGs from the 90s and 2000s shooting guards is simply that the older shooting guards were more disciplined, mentally tougher, a few were more athletic, and were better shooters.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Dude he hasn't been the same IMO since 2010. That game winner over Wade that year is still my favorite shot of all time . Tried it at the gym the next day and hit a girl in the face who was texting on the benches near by

Decent playground baller

I don't think the SG spot has died at all. I think everyone is just comparing the guards of today to Kobe and Wade. We can't expect everyone to be able to play up to the standards of the 2nd and 3rd greatest shooting guards of all time. The talent pool at that position is fine IMO. The only position I'm worried about is the center position. We just watched the Heat go to 4 straight finals with LeBron being their leading rebounder. Great big men are becoming extinct.

Brandon Roy should have been owning the SG position at this point... so sad

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

The position didn't die. It's not a strong position historically and we just came off one of it's stronger eras.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Look at game film from previous eras... with little or no 3-point shooting or the subsequent offensive spacing, the defense didn't need to extend out to the 3-point line, so the paint/mid-range area perpetually packed with defenders - accordingly, the expectation on every possession was for a contested shot to be taken... so SG's had to have offensive moves and unique individual scoring ability to subsist in the league...

Today, due to 3-point shooting strategy, defensive 3 seconds and less physical defensive rules, today's game has actual offensive spacing, which changes the whole game.. now open shots are expected and pursued on every possession - contested shots are shunned and considered bad offense... accordingly the SG and wing position has devolved into 3-and-D, since all the SG is required to do today is hit the open shot, which is often a 3-pointer, and then get back on D.

The gifs are only to visually demonstrate what I'm saying for anyone that wasn't already aware of how the game has changed.

Here's a couple gifs of the defensive environment in previous eras - the paint just doesn't look like this in today's game... and shots like this are considered horrific quality shots in today's game, or "bad offense"..

Here's the defensive environment in today's game, where the paint contains big gaps of space because shooters are spreading the floor and the defense out further.. the rim protection isn't near what it was in previous eras.

Last edited by 3ball; 07-26-2014 at 07:01 PM.