Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rookie Derrick Rose vs. Current Kyrie Irving

Who do you think is the better player?

Default Re: Rookie Derrick Rose vs. Current Kyrie Irving

stats wise there both similar, with irving even better in some categories, but im going with rose just because rose led his team to the play-offs in his rookie year. I dont see Irving taking the cavs to the play-offs this year.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by maxhornets
    stats wise there both similar, with irving even better in some categories, but im going with rose just because rose led his team to the play-offs in his rookie year. I dont see Irving taking the cavs to the play-offs this year.
    Doesn't that say more about their teammates and competition rather than the players themselves?

I'm going to say Kyrie Irving by a hair. But let's see if Irving can elevate his game exponentially like Rose did in his 2 & 3rd year.

im a superhero

id take irving. though his game is far more polished, more so than most rookies historically coming into the nba, that he won't have the drastic rise that most of the raw athletes like rose, d-wade, lebron, etc had.

so yeah, better in their first years, but just my opinion that he won't elevate as much as other great rookies of the past.

Kyrie won't get the chance, but don't forget that Rookie Rose dropped 36 and 11 in his first playoff game ever. He saved his best performance for last.

Kyrie's game looks much nicer and more polished than Rookie Rose and even current Rose in many areas, but I feel that Kyrie's ceiling isn't so high (seems to have durability issues for a player that hasn't played much). So I'd take Rose if i'm looking towards the future.

Also, i don't feel the baby bulls had much over the current Cavs. Tyrus was garbage, there was almost no back-up PG (Hinrich/Gordon at the 2), and Gordon is/was terribly overrated. He did much more harm than good and i'd like to think the Bulls won despite of him, not because of him.

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    id take irving. though his game is far more polished, more so than most rookies historically coming into the nba, that he won't have the drastic rise that most of the raw athletes like rose, d-wade, lebron, etc had.

so yeah, better in their first years, but just my opinion that he won't elevate as much as other great rookies of the past.
    Irving may look polished, but let's not forget he barely played any college ball, so he SHOULD improve vastly over the next 2/3 years with experience. Whether he has the epic improvement that Rose had is the huge question. Rose had the drive inside him like few do.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Looks at thread title, then looks at OP. Leaves thread.

Rookie Rose.

easy

Am I the only one remembering that pre-varejao getting injured the Cavs WERE the eighth seed?

Kyrie was drafted to the second worst team in the leauge. Rose was drafted to the 9th worst team in the league and won 33 games, the Cavs won 19. Kyrie had the Cavs into the playoffs until an injury to Andy.

Kyrie is a better rook, I won't say he will be the best PG in the league in 3 years like Rose is (imo), but he has potential to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Kyrie was drafted to the second worst team in the leauge. Rose was drafted to the 9th worst team in the league and won 33 games, the Cavs won 19. Kyrie had the Cavs into the playoffs until an injury to Andy.

Kyrie is a better rook, I won't say he will be the best PG in the league in 3 years like Rose is (imo), but he has potential to do so.
    Byron Scott is arguably the best coach to have for young PGs in the game.

Vinny del negro?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Byron Scott is arguably the best coach to have for young PGs in the game.

Vinny del negro?
    I nevr said Scott wasn't a good PG coach (look at the PG's he has had in his career...), but the team around Kyrie is putrid.

College superstar

This thread inspired me to start a thread comparing Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving who also put up similar stats in their rookie seasons as well.

To me, Kyrie is a mix of Steph Curry and DRose. He's quick like Rose, but he shoots like Curry. He's not as quick as Rose and not as good a shooter as Curry, but he's gonna be a hell of a player since he's a combination of both.

I like Curry's style more because he's a smart player that gets it done without the athleticism of Rose/Irving. He's flashy in that he has some great moves, but he's not going to wow you with amazingly athletic plays like Rose/Kyrie.

If I were to choose between Rose and Irving ONLY based on their rookie season stats, I would definitely choose Irving because he seems like more of a complete player.

Knowing what I know now, Rose has grown up to become an amazing leader and has a great mentality towards the game. He's hard working and is now a much improved 3 point shooter while being just about the fastest player in the game. Rose would be my choice right now, it's not guaranteed Irving will be anywhere as good as Rose in the future.

I do think though, if given the chance, Steph Curry would be right up there amongst the top 5 PG's in the league. Maybe not at Rose's level, but up there. I want Monta Ellis to be traded so badly.