Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    He's slower than Adrian Peterson, weaker, less agile, not as big, can't jump as high or as far, and can't take as much punishment.

How is he the best athlete in the world lmao.
    Seriously?

Ronaldo was compared to Olympic sprint legend Usain Bolt after thundering 96 metres down the field for a counter-attack in just ten seconds, leading to many people claiming he would be of international athletics standards.
    Source: http://www.givemefootball.com/198162...-record-holder

NBA Superstar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8
    Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.

Few arguments chap my ass more than this one because they are so wrong and so misguided and based on asinine simpletons making dumb observations without putting any real thought into it.

I played football in HS and played rugby in college as well as on teams overseas. Yes, rugby is a rough game, BUT IT IS NOT NEARLY AS HARD OR AS DANGEROUS AS FOOTBALL. The collisions in football are spectacularly more dangerous and harder.

Rugby is like long distance running, Football is like a series of sprints, the collisions when you sprint are much more violent.

Also, rugby players DO WEAR PROTECTION. You cannot watch a high level rugby game now without seeing a large majority of players wearing this:

And if anyone has any head trauma they need to wear one of these for the rest of their career.

In the next decade I see both being mandatory, so yes my friends, rugby, as it continues its evolution into a real pro sport (Fact: Rugby Union was COMPLETELY AMATEUR UNTIL 1995). They are still making major changes to the 'laws' of the game as it deals with the reality of bigger, stronger, faster and professional players entering its ranks.

We will see even more changes, and more equipment as the speed ramps up and approaches football levels.

And don't brandish me a hater, I love Rugby Union, it is the sport I am second best at (besides hoops) but I also played HS football and a lot of my friends played in college, so I cannot deny reality.

Non-Americans like to take cheap shots at football, it is misguided and b*tchmade.
    Last edited by JtotheIzzo; 04-20-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    LJJ digging a hole

You're coming off as an idiot. Maybe you don't respect the sport, but using the word marginal to describe the athletes just makes you come off as another idiot flinging turds.

We KNOW the athletes are superior to many sports in certain aspects because that is what the sport demands. You can look at physical numbers from the combine if you need further proof that they are top athletes regardless of where they are in the world.

You also overlook a huge factor in your 'logic.' The money. The NFL makes tons of money. Professional athletes tend to go where there is money. The sport doesn't have to be played all over the world if it's the biggest sport in one of the largest markets.
    the way he's attempted to validate his retarded statements indicate that he's autistic. poor guy.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    Lol...they compared him to Bolt on a soccer site because he made a fast run down the field

If Peterson and Ronaldo raced Peterson would absolutely burn him...the only race Ronaldo might win between the two is long distance and I'm not even sure he could win that, Peterson has good endurance.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Been to a rugby game...watched Aussie Rules football...the tackling there vs. the tackling in American football is nowhere near the same.

They're both pretty cool but I don't find either really THAT entertaining. Aussie Rules just looks like a bunch of people playing grabass and kicking it up the field at random times. Takes a lot of endurance though.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 04-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    There's no talking to retards like you. A toddler can put forth a better argument than your dumb ass.

You make fun of the ability to catch a ball when soccer takes what skill.... ? Kicking a fucking ball. My god that is just so much more impressive. At this point you better be trolling, otherwise you may want to get a brain scan, perhaps too many concussions. Well, congratulations for separating yourself from the dumbasses.
    It was funny when football players came to soccer tryouts. Let's just say that.

Soccer does take more "skill" than football. I would tend to agree with that guy. Football relies much more on athleticism and just being huge more than anything. I like American football...

Also, Johnny ****ing Football is white and an incredible athlete. A better athlete than RGIII.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 04-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Seriously? How about... arm strength, accuracy, footwork, field vision, ability to know and execute routes, body control, pass catching, blocking, tackling, punting, kicking, etc.

What a stupid fucking question.
    The only skill in there is throwing the ball and catching. The rest is intelligence and athleticism.

Add in punting and kicking too.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 04-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    They probably could be, but that's not how the game is played.

And, do you really think the same thing that happens in scrums doesn't happen in football pile-ups? Not even just in pile-ups, the NFL recently went through a huge ordeal with teams setting up bounties to inflict injury on particular players to take them out of games. Plenty of dirty stuff happens in American football.
    Rugby Union sure...rugby league not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Lol...they compared him to Bolt on a soccer site because he made a fast run down the field

If Peterson and Ronaldo raced Peterson would absolutely burn him...the only race Ronaldo might win between the two is long distance and I'm not even sure he could win that, Peterson has good endurance.
    LOL c'mon Ronaldo ran 96 meters in less than 10 seconds during the 77th minute of the game. Imagine if he was fresh? Let Peterson run and jog for 77 minutes, let's see if he can still run as fast as Ronaldo.
    Last edited by deja vu; 04-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    If you don't think the ginormous slave trade did anything to African Americans in terms of physicality then you are in denial...simple as that

most African Americans don't deny this and understand it...watch a Chris Rock stand up

and you're right, no point in arguing it with someone that pretends it didn't happen

You do know that the US isnt the only country that had african slaves right?

Brazil had triple the population of African slaves than the US, so we are the most athletic country in the world i guess...

Probably the reason why we are the best soccer team in the world too

Brazil 2014!

Dunking on everybody in the park

Now seriously, you can't compare the two sports in athleticism since the players are trained for two very different types of games. In soccer its a lot more important to be agile than strong, see Messi, Neymar, etc. Ball control and skill are supreme, speed and agility too. So the training regime is completely differente from football where the most important parts are explosiveness and strength.

That's why you will never see a good football player become a good soccer player, but you can see the opposite since skill with the soccer ball is very hard to obtain unless you train since you are young but strength can easily be gained in the weight room and with correct nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop

Brazil had triple the population of African slaves than the US, so we are the most athletic country in the world i guess...

Brazil 2014!
    slave breeding was an enormous industry in the US, in fact at one point I believe it was the single biggest money maker in the country...I don't think it was like that for Brazil

However many of the US slaves escaped south to Mexico and South America/Brazil and Jamaica as well as...many of the "black latinos" down there are ancestors of US slaves...many South American MLB players like Sammy Sosa and such have US slave ancestors. I am sure there are plenty of 'black Brazilians" like that as well...I am sure Anderson Silva has slave ancestors

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop

Brazil 2014!

no you're not

ranked 19th in the latest fifa rankings

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    On average, American football has only 11 minutes of action in 3 hours.
    it really is fukking insane..........

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    it really is fukking insane..........
    that isn't even true...not sure where he got that

one quarter is 15 minutes long with clock stops during most breaks