Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

Default What would YOU average on an NBA team?

I think I've seen this topic on here before, but it always gives me a great laugh because of all the people that think they are even close to being able to produce on an NBA level.

It's pretty easy to sit on your computer on an NBA message board and talk about how you could've made the league or could've been a great college player if you would have just stuck with it, and how you could probably hang on an NBA roster and are as good as players like Steve Novak and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Anyway, I love this topic because it always cheers me up to see how delusional people are.

So the bottom line: What would YOU average if you were thrown onto an NBA roster and given 40 minutes of playing time per night?

Me:

40 mpg
    1.7 ppg
    1.2 rpg
    0.6 apg
    0.2 spg
    0.1 bpg
    7.8 TO/game
    15% FG
    11% 3PT
    Last edited by Westbrook0; 07-02-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Undefeated

Default Re: What would YOU average on an NBA team?

8 turnovers a game?

hopefully your team would be smart enough not to EVER give your fatass the ball.

I'd average something like 10 ppg, 5rbg, 5apg on 37% shooting.

capable ball handler, smart, game manager. i could see myself being a good playmaker at the nba level.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Played D1 college ball a few years ago. Almost positive that my energy and heart alone can land me an NBA gig. Decide to go a different route and expand my craft in other fields.

With that said, I won't get way too ahead of myself, but I think i'd average around 11PPG, mainly from 3's and such.

NBA Superstar

Given 40 minutes a night for 82 possible games?

For starters, I'd wonder how quickly it'd take for my body to break down after flying from Detroit to Los Angeles to play 40 minutes one night, then flying down to Houston to play 40 minutes the next, etc.

That said, if semi-okay shooters on this forum were given 40 minutes every night for 82 games, they'd have to stumble upon an open shot here or there by default, right? And then, it'd be a matter of knocking down an open shot. So... we might not averaged 0.0 points per game, haha.

It'd just be a way, way, way, way, way, way worse version of the "bad" NBA players (bad being relative) who average more points than they should on poor teams because they get minutes and shots by default.

Also, with all of us being so poor in comparison to every other player on the floor, one would have to imagine teams would begin defending as if it were 4-on-5, perhaps daring us to shoot. At that point, I suppose it'd be about whether we had enough guile to always try to prove we can shoot (aka the Josh Smith Effect).

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Played D1 college ball a few years ago. Almost positive that my energy and heart alone can land me an NBA gig. Decide to go a different route and expand my craft in other fields.

With that said, I won't get way too ahead of myself, but I think i'd average around 11PPG, mainly from 3's and such.

0 Mpg

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

I'd never score but I'd be slinging those assists

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    0 Mpg
    That'll give us plenty of time to get to know each other...

I'm only 5'8" so I would have no chance. The height, length and athleticism disparity is too much to overcome. I could make the perfect move on my defender and still get my sh't swatted. But make me 6'5" and 200 lbs with decent athleticism and I could hang with the big boys. I consider my basketball skills to be pretty high, because I am 38 now and have been playing and working on my game since I was about 15. I continue to improve on my skills. I would say that my skill level for all players on this planet is in the 95th percentile. Not bragging because I know I put in the work. But yeah, given my curren height, it would be nearly impossible for me to positively impact the game. People don't realize how much ground (laterally and vertically) NBA players can cover in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    I'd never score but I'd be slinging those assists
    there would be no difference tho. nba players wouldn't let you get off a single pass unless the player came right up and took the ball while you shielded from the defender. passing is just as hard as scoring will be for the most part.

1.4 standing ovations per night (out of pity) for even having the audacity to step on the floor, I'd be a local hero chasing loose balls and that's about all my value would be. People would say "awe" because I'd be playing with wreckless abandon but to no avail I'd still have a hugely net negative impact. Think homeless dead corpse of dellavedova minus all of his basketball skills and about half his muscle mass and probably not even as quick.

I'd literally tell the team not to feed me the ball unless I'm wide the **** open on offense and there just was no other option. And I'd try my best to stay in front of guys like Russell Westbrook. He'd not only step by me with impunity he'd run me the **** over with equal if not more impunity, he's the size of the slow-footed centers I play against in rec league only he's a ****ing Olympian in terms of athleticism shit would be a biblical massacre

Also not sure I could handle 40 minutes a game in my current condition. Do I expect to get the training facilities, diet, and paychecks of a player that gets 40 minutes in the NBA? If so I'll do it even if I collapse a lung or it kills me
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-02-2015 at 01:14 AM.

I've never actually played basketball so I wouldn't be able to do anything outside of trying to hurt guys. Pretty much a braindead version of Delly. I'm 5'2" 125 with zero self confidence so it's not like it would matter if I had any discernible skill in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Given 40 minutes a night for 82 possible games?

For starters, I'd wonder how quickly it'd take for my body to break down after flying from Detroit to Los Angeles to play 40 minutes one night, then flying down to Houston to play 40 minutes the next, etc.

That said, if semi-okay shooters on this forum were given 40 minutes every night for 82 games, they'd have to stumble upon an open shot here or there by default, right? And then, it'd be a matter of knocking down an open shot. So... we might not averaged 0.0 points per game, haha.

It'd just be a way, way, way, way, way, way worse version of the "bad" NBA players (bad being relative) who average more points than they should on poor teams because they get minutes and shots by default.

Also, with all of us being so poor in comparison to every other player on the floor, one would have to imagine teams would begin defending as if it were 4-on-5, perhaps daring us to shoot. At that point, I suppose it'd be about whether we had enough guile to always try to prove we can shoot (aka the Josh Smith Effect).
    There is no guarantee that you would score any points even if you played 40 minutes a game. It all comes down to your skills and your height and athleticism. You need to be a certain height/size along with a certain level of athleticism just to hang in the NBA. There is a reason why you never see no 5'2" guards. And there are many skilled players around on this planet who have just as much skills as NBA players but they are just too small and/or not athletic enough. Players in the NBA won the genetic lottery. Sure, you have rare exceptions like a Nash but 99% of the time, you have to have a certain level of size and/or athleticism just to compete at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I've never actually played basketball so I wouldn't be able to do anything outside of trying to hurt guys. Pretty much a braindead version of Delly. I'm 5'2" 125 with zero self confidence so it's not like it would matter if I had any discernible skill in the first place.
    Why do you keep saying that you said that in some other thread I doubt it's true

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    there would be no difference tho. nba players wouldn't let you get off a single pass unless the player came right up and took the ball while you shielded from the defender. passing is just as hard as scoring will be for the most part.
    Yup. With their height, length and athleticism, people don't know just how much ground these guys can cover in a split second. Just getting passes off would be extremely hard. Getting your shot off would be hard. Rebounds? Lol. It's easy to succeed when you play other guys around 5'6" to 5'10". Quite another against NBA players.