Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Couch Coaches: What adjustments would you make for each side?

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    How many times has Mosgov/Tristan kept possessions alive after a missed shot on the offensive end with tips to their teammates? I could swear I saw at least 12-15 of them in two games. That is incredibly huge for Clev and utterly devastating for GSW.

And that's on top of Mosgov/Tristan out rebounding Bogut/Green 48 to 33 in the first two games. So if you add in the additional extra possessions from the tips, Clev's two bigs could be giving their team almost twice the possessions.

I think that has been the biggest factor in the first two games. Sure, Bron doing his thing is impressive but still not shocking but Clev's bigs completely controlling the paint has allowed Clev to compete with GSW.
    Lebron, TT, and Mozgof in your front court... You're not outworking that team when each guy is capable 12 plus rebounds in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Lebron, TT, and Mozgof in your front court... You're not outworking that team when each guy is capable 12 plus rebounds in a game.
    And I think that's why GSW has to try to dictate their lineup by going small and forcing Blatt to take out Mosgov. And throw hard doubles at Bron. Not all the time but when he gets it within 10 feet of the basket. That way, you pick up the pace of the game, take out one of their bigs and have more opportunities to score in transition. GSW wants to run, they are not nearly as efficient on offense in the half court and that's where they have been for the most of 2 games. The pace has completely favored Clev.

Very good NBA starter

And I think that's why GSW has to try to dictate their lineup by going small and forcing Blatt to take out Mosgov. And throw hard doubles at Bron. Not all the time but when he gets it within 10 feet of the basket. That way, you pick up the pace of the game, take out one of their bigs and have more opportunities to score in transition. GSW wants to run, they are not nearly as efficient on offense in the half court and that's where they have been for the most of 2 games. The pace has completely favored Clev.
    If you double Bron 10 feet in, he still has amazing passing ability. I've noticed GSW in game 2 started doubling him once he get deep position, he was either able to find a shooter or rise up and draw the foul.

Lebron is not as quick as he was in 2013 but this version of Lebron is a lot more tougher mentally and more dialed in. He truly is dictating the pace and credit goes to Blatt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    If you double Bron 10 feet in, he still has amazing passing ability. I've noticed GSW in game 2 started doubling him once he get deep position, he was either able to find a shooter or rise up and draw the foul.

Lebron is not as quick as he was in 2013 but this version of Lebron is a lot more tougher mentally and more dialed in. He truly is dictating the pace and credit goes to Blatt as well.
    At this point, you have to make a decision. You double him, he finds the open man. Continue to single cover him and he dictates the pace of the game.

To me, the pace of the game is huge for GSW. Curry mentioned that post-game. How they need to get more shots in rhythm and transition. That's their game.

So I would take my chances with throwing some doubles at LeBron, get it out of his hands and see if I can generate some turnovers. And you start getting a couple of those and the complexion of the game can change. Basketball is a game of momentum. It's hard to get momentum if you can't play at the pace you want.

Either way, you take chances but all I know is GSW could very well be down 0-2 by primarily single covering him and the pace of the game has completely favored Clev.

College superstar

I do like something the Cavs have been doing defensively that has helped to dictate pace, and they should keep doing this. I've observed that James Jones, especially, has been doing this. When his man is inbounding the ball to Curry he is doubling Curry to make it harder for him to get the ball, and he is also helping out as Curry is bringing the ball up the court. This simple stategy takes an additional ~2-4 seconds off the shot clock and also contributes to making Curry more fatigued.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I do like something the Cavs have been doing defensively that has helped to dictate pace, and they should keep doing this. I've observed that James Jones, especially, has been doing this. When his man is inbounding the ball to Curry he is doubling Curry to make it harder for him to get the ball, and he is also helping out as Curry is bringing the ball up the court. This simple stategy takes an additional ~2-4 seconds off the shot clock and also contributes to making Curry more fatigued.
    Great observation. I definitely see them doing "soft" traps not to cause turnovers but to prevent a transition 3.

This series has exploited a huge flaw in today's game: boxing out. It's no longer a basic, part of basketball anymore. Guys just stand there and hope the ball comes to them instead of putting their butt on a body and boxing out. You can be a little guy and still outrebound the bigger guy if you get good position, get leverage and box out. That's a lost art in today's game. It's disgusting to see a big like Bogut have to resort of grabbing and holding because they were caught just standing around.

College superstar

This series has exploited a huge flaw in today's game: boxing out. It's no longer a basic, part of basketball anymore. Guys just stand there and hope the ball comes to them instead of putting their butt on a body and boxing out. You can be a little guy and still outrebound the bigger guy if you get good position, get leverage and box out. That's a lost art in today's game. It's disgusting to see a big like Bogut have to resort of grabbing and holding because they were caught just standing around.
    No, the problem is that once a player gets rebounding position and boxes out the officials will allow the other player to cave in his back. So the defensive player is left to do that bs.

If I were in charge of officials rebounding and picks would be cleaned up. The picks that are getting set are absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    No, the problem is that once a player gets rebounding position and boxes out the officials will allow the other player to cave in his back. So the defensive player is left to do that bs.

If I were in charge of officials rebounding and picks would be cleaned up. The picks that are getting set are absurd.
    I guess we are watching a different game then. I remember my high school coach telling me anytime the shot goes up, I want you to put your butt on a body and push him out until the 3 point line. It is without a doubt a lost art in today's game. And it's not surprising because it's such specialized a game today based on athleticism, spacing, p&r and 3 point shooting. There is no need to do something as physical as boxing out.
    Last edited by ClipperRevival; 06-08-2015 at 04:21 PM.

GS - Gang rebound, box out better. More ball movement needed. Curry needs to facilitate more, drive and dish.

Cavs - More post-ups for Lebron, others need to slash more and move around instead of watching Lebron. Stick with single coverage and neutralize the Warrior 3's.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I think you're general observations are wrong. You'll always have guys who are great at boxing out and those who never got used to it, since they either had the height advantage or were athletic enough to get the rebounds. That's the way it always was. As for the boxing out itself, I also believe it's much more physical than it used to be. There's more pushing and generally more contact that would be considered a foul in some of the previous eras

As for Bogut, I just think you made your opinion based on a one or a couple of plays. Bogut is normally very good at boxing out, he's elite. Sometimes you just don't get the chance to box out. Maybe the other guy already positions himself in a way where you would be giving him too much of a space if you relocated yourself to be able to lower your body base. Or he's already on the move and boxing him out would mean you're fouling him. Sometimes the guy is going to be quicker and have a great motor and will find a way to outmaneuver you you when you turn your back to him and you just have to box him out face up.

Boxing out is definitely not a lost art of today's basketball. Just look at how some of the smaller guys like Dellavedova or Chris Paul box out bigger players. Yes, there are guys, that are bad at it, but Bogut is not one of them.

the warriors defensive scheme is pretty good imo. they are tied because of their struggling offense, not their defense. having said that, id start iggy. he is giving bron way more trouble than barnes is, and its not like barnes is a much better offensive player.

offensively, just slow down a little, the shots will start to fall.

for the cavs, id play more small ball, with tristan or mozzy as the only big, and give jones more minutes to stretch the defense. i think their defensive game plan at the moment is working well, and i wouldnt change much.

force the ball out of currys hands, into draymonds, and make him hit a jumper. he is looking to drive to the cup, or throw the oop.

so you send two guys at curry on the pick and roll, stick to the other 2 shooters, and the remaining big can stick to bogut at the rim, and only rotate off him to stop a draymond dunk, or force draymond to thread the needle to bogut.

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood
    I think you're general observations are wrong. You'll always have guys who are great at boxing out and those who never got used to it, since they either had the height advantage or were athletic enough to get the rebounds. That's the way it always was. As for the boxing out itself, I also believe it's much more physical than it used to be. There's more pushing and generally more contact that would be considered a foul in some of the previous eras

As for Bogut, I just think you made your opinion based on a one or a couple of plays. Bogut is normally very good at boxing out, he's elite. Sometimes you just don't get the chance to box out. Maybe the other guy already positions himself in a way where you would be giving him too much of a space if you relocated yourself to be able to lower your body base. Or he's already on the move and boxing him out would mean you're fouling him. Sometimes the guy is going to be quicker and have a great motor and will find a way to outmaneuver you you when you turn your back to him and you just have to box him out face up.

Boxing out is definitely not a lost art of today's basketball. Just look at how some of the smaller guys like Dellavedova or Chris Paul box out bigger players. Yes, there are guys, that are bad at it, but Bogut is not one of them.
    You think the game today is more physical? Hmmm.

Are there some guys who box out today? Of course. It's a fundamental part of basketball. Just like there are still some bigs today that have solid, post up games. But is it used with the frequency like it should be by the bigs? Absolutely not. Not even close. How much time in today's game do you think coaches go over boxing out drills? I mean seriously? In this day of 3 point shooting, no contact allowed, space the floor, p&r, etc?

And I agree Bogut was a bad example. The guy plays low to the ground and usually uses good leverage to get positioning. But he's been getting killed by Mosgov so far.

Dunking on everybody in the park

You think the game today is more physical? Hmmm.

Are there some guys who box out today? Of course. It's a fundamental part of basketball. Just like there are still some bigs today that have solid, post up games. But is it used with the frequency like it should be by the bigs? Absolutely not. Not even close. How much time in today's game do you think coaches go over boxing out drills? I mean seriously? In this day of 3 point shooting, no contact allowed, space the floor, p&r, etc?

And I agree Bogut was a bad example. The guy plays low to the ground and usually uses good leverage to get positioning. But he's been getting killed by Mosgov so far.
    Yes, I do believe the game today is more physical in many ways, especially battling for the position without the ball. I'll agree it's easier to draw a contact with the ball and that the hard and dirty fouls are officiated stricter, but the amount of contact these guys through playing off the ball and all the moving screens that are tolerated in todays game add to overall physicality in a great way.

When you're saying the coaches don't stress the boxing out drills you're just speculating. There's literally now we can know how much do they stress boxing out. But I'll say that, basketball is a game of habits and that especially goes for boxing out. There's no way that somebody that is not used to box out by the age of 20 or so will be good in this element. No amount of drills will drastically change that. And this is something you can drill a lot and some players still won't execute in game for the reasons I mentioned above. If you ever coached you'd know that.