Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore FormerSunsFan's Avatar

Default Re: Karl Malone Destroys Isiah Thomas 40 stitches. 15 inside, 25 outside 1991 Pistons@Jaz

Quote Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
    the "Mail Man" had a history of elbow "deliveries" I know there are other videos out there.
    it's a pretty impressive hitlist, actually:

Isiah Thomas-check
    David Robinson-check
    Steve Nash-check

This one hurts because Isiah was my favorite player at the time and Malone was born in Louisiana like me.

That elbow was no coincidence because of John Stockton, the Dream Team drama, the Bad Boys and who knows what other baggage Isiah had. Sucks that they blackballed him out of his rightful spot on the Dream Team.

And yes, Karl Malone does have some issues.

Not airballing my layups anymore Wukillabeez78's Avatar

Default Re: Karl Malone Destroys Isiah Thomas 40 stitches. 15 inside, 25 outside 1991 Pistons@Jaz

Quote Originally Posted by godofgods
    Isiah totally deserved that for being a beyotch. I am glad that punk didn't make the Dream Team.
    I was never a fan of the Dream Team because Isiah wasn't on it but should have been. Malone elbowed Isiah because after not being named to the Dream Team Isiah torched John Stockton in Detroit with 44 points. Isiah was on his way to doing it again in Utah when punk ass Malone hit him with the intentional elbow.

Doesn't matter though. Isiah was a winner who led his team to back to back championships. Malone was a loser who couldn't win with another HOF player and then couldn't even win one trying to cherry pick one after leaving Utah. And Isiah got the last laugh because John Stockton chose him as his presenter at his HOF induction. Here's a link to the Isiah/Stockton story...

http://www.thesameintensity.com/?p=1704

"No wonder Isiah talks like he's retarded to this day."

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
    I was never a fan of the Dream Team because Isiah wasn't on it but should have been. Malone elbowed Isiah because after not being named to the Dream Team Isiah torched John Stockton in Detroit with 44 points. Isiah was on his way to doing it again in Utah when punk ass Malone hit him with the intentional elbow.

Doesn't matter though. Isiah was a winner who led his team to back to back championships. Malone was a loser who couldn't win with another HOF player and then couldn't even win one trying to cherry pick one after leaving Utah. And Isiah got the last laugh because John Stockton chose him as his presenter at his HOF induction. Here's a link to the Isiah/Stockton story...

Well Isiah shot more than double what Stockton did (10 versus 22) and played 8 more minutes than Stockton did so I wouldn't call that a torching by any stretch. If you want to match the shot attempts that would put stockton at 40 points and 26 assist compared to Isiah's 44 and 4 (pathetic) assists. Stockton had the better game and was a much better player.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78

What a stupid comment. The offensive power of the Jazz was Stockton to Malone while Isiah had Dumars, Aguirre, Dantley and himself! plus great defenders and rebounders in Rodman, Laimbeer (could shoot deep), Mahorn and Salley. Stacked on Both Ends!

Isiah was better than Stockton at one thing. Shooting more. He wasn`t a pure PG like Stockton who made others much better. Stockton was a better creator, passer, shooter and defender.

NBA Superstar

Hey! A Blue Edwards sighting! Love the self-lob reverse dunk at the beginning of that clip.

Also love the custom V-Neck NBA sweaters everyone at the scorers table is rocking at the 5:04 mark.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-27-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

With Malone being such an enforcer, one thing that I've wondered for over ten years is, how come he didn't come to Hornacek's aid?????

Remember Stackhouse started swinging on Hornacek as he ducked and covered up? WTF was Malone doing?????

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    With Malone being such an enforcer, one thing that I've wondered for over ten years is, how come he didn't come to Hornacek's aid?????

Remember Stackhouse started swinging on Hornacek as he ducked and covered up? WTF was Malone doing?????
    Malone had this thing on picking on smaller dudes. It was all intimidation but sometimes he wen`t to far.

Barkley did the same, but on anyone.

Still if you where to get in those two dudes ways in a fast break i suggest you stay still and don`t go for the offensive foul.

Quote Originally Posted by godofgods
    Isiah totally deserved that for being a beyotch. I am glad that punk didn't make the Dream Team.
    Do you ever write a informative comment? Everytime I see you post, it is a hateful or lunatic-like comment.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Karl Malone Destroys Isiah Thomas 40 stitches. 15 inside, 25 outside 1991 Pistons@Jaz

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Malone had this thing on picking on smaller dudes. It was all intimidation but sometimes he wen`t to far.

Barkley did the same, but on anyone.

Still if you where to get in those two dudes ways in a fast break i suggest you stay still and don`t go for the offensive foul.
    lol yeah agreed

one of the dirtest players in NBA history along with his teammate John Stockton

Quote Originally Posted by FormerSunsFan
    it's a pretty impressive hitlist, actually:

Isiah Thomas-check
    David Robinson-check
    Steve Nash-check

This one hurts because Isiah was my favorite player at the time and Malone was born in Louisiana like me.

That elbow was no coincidence because of John Stockton, the Dream Team drama, the Bad Boys and who knows what other baggage Isiah had. Sucks that they blackballed him out of his rightful spot on the Dream Team.

And yes, Karl Malone does have some issues.

You forgot Alonzo Mourning.

Anyone have that footage of him getting elbowed by Malone and his head caving in? You could see it happening it was epic.

Default Re: Karl Malone Destroys Isiah Thomas 40 stitches. 15 inside, 25 outside 1991 Pistons

I'm looking at the UFC 118 banner at the top of the site and wondering what could have been...

Not airballing my layups anymore Wukillabeez78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    What a stupid comment. The offensive power of the Jazz was Stockton to Malone while Isiah had Dumars, Aguirre, Dantley and himself! plus great defenders and rebounders in Rodman, Laimbeer (could shoot deep), Mahorn and Salley. Stacked on Both Ends!

Isiah was better than Stockton at one thing. Shooting more. He wasn`t a pure PG like Stockton who made others much better. Stockton was a better creator, passer, shooter and defender.
    The Jazz had other players capable of shooting like Jeff Hornacek, Jeff Malone and others through the years. Of course the Pistons were the better team, they are one of the better championship rosters ever in the history of the league. I'm not arguing that point though. Isiah being > than Stockton is what I'm arguing.

Why do you falsely believe that players aren't pure point guards just because they can still take over the game and score? Nash is a pure point guard and he can still score as well. So is Deron Williams as well as Chris Paul. They can all go out and get their team 40 points if their team needs it. Having this ability doesn't mean they are pure point guards. Isiah was definitely a pure point guard and he always looked to get his teammates involved and create shots for them. Isiah curtailed his own scoring to allow his teammates more opportunities to score (Joe Dumars improved his scoring average for 6 straight years playing alongside Isiah while Isiah's scoring average peaked his 2nd year in the league and then gradually went down). He did this intentionally so his teammates could become good enough to compete with the deep teams they faced during that era (Boston and LA).

Not a pure point guard??? Isiah averaged over 9 assists a game for his career, had multiple games of over 20 assists and held the record for most assists in a season and highest per game assist average in a season before Stockton broke both records. You could argue that Stockton was a better passer but passing the ball is the only way Stockton could dominate the game. Stockton shot a higher percentage than Isiah because he took far fewer shots. Stockton couldn't create his own offense like Isiah could if his team needed him to. Opposing teams weren't worried about Stockton penetrating and getting to the rim. They weren't worried about Stockton putting pressure on their defense and getting their players in foul trouble by aggressively taking the ball to the goal. Stockton only got shots off of running the pick and roll or simply through ball reversals if Karl Malone or another scoring threat got doubled. His game was solid but very basic and so was Utah's offense. That's why they could never win. Malone had to rely on someone to get him the ball and their primary ball handler (Stockton) wasn't a player who could get his own shot either. Both players relied heavily on the other to be successful and good teams could take advantage of this and shut them both down.

If Stockton had the ability to blow by defenders like Isiah and put more pressure on the defense the Jazz might have been able to win a title. Isiah was simply a more complete player and could hurt you in a lot more ways on the court than Stockton could. Stockton was unselfish but he had to be, he didn't have the ability to put his team on his back and win the game if his team needed him to do so. Isiah was also unselfish but he had the ability to take over games and get the win for his team if needed. That's a big difference in ability and the major reason Isiah's a better player. And you say Stockton was a better defender? Neither Stockton nor Thomas were great individual defenders but both were good team defenders. I'd rate Isiah the better individual defender though. He was quicker and could stay in front of his man. Stockton would get burned by the quicker guards in the league. Like Kevin Johnson. Like Isiah Thomas (why Karl Malone ended up elbowing him, because Stockton couldn't stay in front of him and wouldn't dare lay him out himself for showing him up).

Isiah had four consective seasons of averaging over 20 pts a game while at the same time averaging over 10 assists a game (how many other point guards or players have done this? Oscar Robertson and Kevin Johnson if you round 19.7 pts a game for him). He is what all smaller point guards want to be; a great playmaker but still an offensive threat that the other team has to worry about. Stockton was never an offensive threat and you didn't have to gameplan for his individual skills. The only thing Stockton had on Isiah is the fact that he played longer and because of this accumulated impressive career totals (like his buddy Karl Malone). His career averages are nothing special though. He was a better percentage shooter than Isiah but he only took about 9 shots a game and was primarily a perimeter player while Isiah was a penetrating one who often had to finish his forays to the hoop over much larger players.

Isiah was tearing up the league in the 80s and redefining the point guard position. He's referred to as the best little man ever. He was a clutch player who hit clutch shots and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the the title saying "Mr Clutch" in 1987 before he ever won a championship. I could go on all night (because I was an avid fan of the NBA in the 1980s and went to games as well as followed the league) but I think John Stockton said it best during his HOF induction speech. Stockton said that playing against/watching Isiah when he came into the league let him know just how much farther he had to go to become a great point guard himself. That's the ultimate compliment and it's not an accident that Stockton chose Isiah to be his presenter to the HOF.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in you Round Mound. You usually seem to be a much better judge of talent than this. I agree with you when you say Barkley was better than Karl Malone. Barkley was > Malone for many of the same reasons Isiah was > Stockton. Barkley was a more dynamic player who could do more on the court. Same thing when you compare Isiah to Stockton. Not hard to see at all if you saw both play.
    Last edited by Wukillabeez78; 08-28-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Jesus, you hear that CRACK? Surprised Zeke didn't have a broken jaw.