Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Euroleague is a dumbass that brings hits, welcome to InsideHoops!

http://www.talkbasket.net/6536-the-r...world-cup.html

The real reason why we call it the World Cup.

06/02/12 11:51 John Hobbs

Goodbye world championships and hello to the Basketball World Cup - and in honesty - it sounds better already.

FIBA have decided to revamp the tournament completely in hopes to create a legacy for the sport and the event itself.

Also the name 'World Cup' sounds more official than 'world championship' and with the tournament being held in Spain, where basketball is a national sport (second only to football), it has a fairly good chance of succeeding.

While 2014 is two years away, and adding to the fact that we have an Olympics and various continental tournaments to get through, there was concern that the world championships were not taken seriously enough, especially from an American standpoint, who didn't get the concept of a "world championships".

FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann said: "We're in a world where perception is important. David Stern has been telling us 'no one in the US understands what a world championship is."

So basically, this is the real reason why FIBA decided to call it the Basketball World Cup. To make it more appealing to the Americans. A country that hilariously still considers NBA champions as the world champions.

Practically all basketball writers in America thankfully know the difference, as they cover the world basketball events as well if the USA are involved, but some NBA announcers still need to be educated, and, like it or not, they must acknowledge the fact that basketball does exist outside of the National Basketball Association.

It was a fantastic site when the Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA title last season over a heavily fancied Miami Heat squad, but I admittedly cringed a little when Dallas owner Mark Cuban, a man who deserves a lot of respect for taking the Mavs to the top repeatedly called his side the "world champions". Now, for a guy who publicly slates FIBA for risking his players for international competition, this is no surprise.

It then got a lot worse when Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki - a German - called himself a world champion as well. Coming from a guy that has played for Germany in world championships past, that is shocking to say the very least.

Surely, upon hearing this, FIBA decided that enough was enough, let's change things. It's been happening for years now, and quite frankly, it's getting annoying.

Personally, I think the real reason for the name change was because of the NBA's stupidity in actually believing that their holy grail is a world title. When really, it's an NBA championship, nothing else.

And when I say stupidity, I do not include David Stern in this, purely for the reason that he recognizes this fact - and he - along with FIBA did something about it.

Thus, ladies and gentlemen: the Basketball World Cup is born.

We don't know if the Basketball World Cup will gain the prestige it deserves until we properly build it up, we have various international tournaments to stage first. But the name change is a step in the right direction.

Say what you will about the NBA commish about his handling of the lockout and the Chris Paul - Lakers saga. But, at least he's helped out world basketball.

I will end this mini lecture by saying: Dallas Mavericks = NBA champions. USA = world champions.

For all Euroleague, London 2012 and international updates, follow John Hobbs on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/johnswisshobbs
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-08-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Default Re: David Stern: NBA Champs Are Not World Champs, Helps FIBA To Make Americans Get It

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    http://www.talkbasket.net/6536-the-r...world-cup.html

The real reason why we call it the World Cup.

06/02/12 11:51 John Hobbs

[COLOR="Blue"]It then got a lot worse when Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki - a German - called himself a world champion as well. Coming from a guy that has played for Germany in world championships past, that is shocking to say the very least[/COLOR].Surely, upon hearing this, FIBA decided that enough was enough, let's change things. It's been happening for years now, and quite frankly, it's getting annoying.

For all Euroleague, London 2012 and international updates, follow John Hobbs on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/johnswisshobbs
    not a Mavs fan, but this just made me like the guy, proves he has become an american by heart, also speaks english without an accent, unlike others who have played in the NBA for years and years, andl are still hard to understand...dirk is not flopping euro-trash like the rest

Last edited by tomtucker; 02-08-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Default Re: David Stern: NBA Champs Are Not World Champs, Helps FIBA To Make Americans Get It

I saw Spaonoullis play last game and my god, this guy has declined considerably. Shots 29% and had 9 points in 40 minutes.

I couldn't care less either way, but calling it the Basketball World Cup sounds cool to me.

I've never thought of the NBA champions as world champions, purely an American thing which I probably won't ever get, but it doesn't upset me or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    I couldn't care less either way, but calling it the Basketball World Cup sounds cool to me.

I've never thought of the NBA champions as world champions, purely an American thing which I probably won't ever get, but it doesn't upset me or anything.
    Well, it apparently is upsetting David Stern.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

John Hobbs != David Stern. I wish the NBA rings would quit being inscribed "World Champions," and like the vast, vast, majority of informed basketball fans I understand the Mavericks weren't officially (though they probably were) the best club style basketball team in the world last year.

I really, really, wish FIBA'd try to set up some kind of best of 7 series between the NBA champs and Euroleague champs, but obviously the schedules make it pretty unlikely.

I also REALLY wish idiot trolls like the OP would eventually realize that there are more than one way to play basketball. It's fully accepted in America that college ball and the NBA are drastically different styles to play the game that do/don't appeal to certain people. Euroleague lives in Arkansas, not like he lacks exposure to the dichotomy. But he brings hits so we can't ban him, thanks Jeff.

U.S.A. has the NBA Champs, FIBA WC Gold medal (b-team), and Olympic Gold medal (a-team). So you can call them whatever you want, because we own them all either way.

Lmao Best Title Ever

Default Re: Euroleague is a dumbass that brings hits, welcome to InsideHoops!

Which mod edited the title? Will rep for life

Loving the title

Wasn't me who edited it but love a good laugh in the morning.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Which mod edited the title? Will rep for life
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    U.S.A. has the NBA Champs, FIBA WC Gold medal (b-team), and Olympic Gold medal (a-team). So you can call them whatever you want, because we own them all either way.
    The B team means that NONE of your A team players are on it. That is the rules of FIBA. You can only have a B team if all of the players on the roster are not members of the A team.

The A team, under FIBA rules consists of players who are on the senior A level selection.

Therefore, per official FIBA rules, the USA 2010 team was NOT a "B team". Since players like Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love were on it, and are all members of the USA A team. Perhaps even someone like Russell Westbrook as well.

If that was a USA "B team" (3-4 A team players), then it was playing against a whole field of B teams in the tournament, as most teams have no more than 3-6 of their A players in those tournaments.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 02-08-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    The B team means that NONE of your A team players are on it. That is the rules of FIBA. You can only have a B team if all of the players on the roster are not members of the A team.

The A team, under FIBA rules consists of players who are on the senior A level selection.

Therefore, per official FIBA rules, the USA 2010 team was NOT a "B team". Since players like Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love were on it, and are all members of the USA A team. Perhaps even someone like Russell Westbrook as well.

If that was a USA "B team" (3-4 A team players), then it was playing against a whole field of B and C teams in the tournament, as most teams have no more than 3-6 of their A players in those tournaments.
    B team? More like a C team.

No Lebron, No Kobe, no Carmelo, no CP3, no Kidd, no Deron, no Dwight Howard, no Amare, no Wade, no Randolph, none of our vets, just a bunch of young 21 year old kids who never played together before sent against the best teams from the rest of the world and shitting on them.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 02-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.

America's Z team could smash Greece for fvck sakes.

Derek Fisher > Spanoullis at this point.