Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Re: Preparation for High School Ball

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Crazy! Do you ever play ball with him at the park after school or played with him? Thats what everyone used to do to us being on the varsity team. Crazy we never had someone that good
    We have open gyms sometimes(coaches aren't allowed to actually coach till the 29th) and if we string together a couple wins then we can make it to the higher courts and play some varsity teams. Obviously Aaron doesn't try to swat my shot on defense and I've even scored on him a couple times. On defense though, we have no chance of stopping him. We can play 5 on 2 against Aaron and another varsity guy where they can only pull up from NBA range and we still wouldn't even be able to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    not letting my emotions run free a bit. Here's my embarrassing example - my teammate scored a game-tying basket with just 1 second remaining and while my teammates were celebrating, I fought every ounce of my body to not celebrate because I knew the game wasn't over yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIv4IgLByA.

As you realized, what tends to happen when we let ourselves go a bit, even if it's sometimes illogical, is our adrenaline spikes and our competitive spirit sky rockets. We're able to trick ourselves into believing there's a lot more on the line than there really is, which allows us then to dig deeper and perform with a sense of desire and urgency. Whereas, sometimes if we're always reminding ourselves it's just a game, we may be putting ourselves at a disadvantage.

For me, tapping into that next level meant letting myself fist-pump after a crucial block. Or maybe raising my fist in celebration after a clutch basket. It even meant responding to a poor call by an official, even though I knew nothing would be done about it, only because letting that emotion out will often keep me engaged in the game. It also meant not concerning myself with building friendships with opponents during games. The real ball players understand there's no friendship on the hardwood. As you discovered, those real guys understand there's a difference between "on the court" and "off the court". Let yourself run free.

Aye, what ended up happening at the end of that game?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids

Aye, what ended up happening at the end of that game?
    That layup tied the ballgame with one second remaining. He had a free throw to win it, and he was an 80%+ guy from the stripe (and seemingly immune to pressure) so I think folks thought it was going to be automatic.

Obviously though, he missed. As you can see, the ball bounced back to him (after his jump spin) at which point he fired and hit that crazy off balance shot. I've always been confused by the ruling though. Should the clock have begun the moment the ball hit the rim, the moment it hit the floor, or the moment a player touched it?

Either way, it was waved off and we eventually won in overtime.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.

We have open gyms sometimes(coaches aren't allowed to actually coach till the 29th) and if we string together a couple wins then we can make it to the higher courts and play some varsity teams. Obviously Aaron doesn't try to swat my shot on defense and I've even scored on him a couple times. On defense though, we have no chance of stopping him. We can play 5 on 2 against Aaron and another varsity guy where they can only pull up from NBA range and we still wouldn't even be able to stop them.

You guarded him?

You guarded him?
    "Guarded" isn't quite the appropriate term. Stood there while he completely obliterated us is more like it.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Honestly, I'm quite surprised and flattered you called me here. I'll tell you right now, I didn't have a good high school career, if you could even call it one. I played the center spot at 5'10, 170 lbs in a very small school which was an even smaller fish in a pond filled with medium sized tilapia. I always told myself I wasn't a true C, but because of the lack of size on my team I had to let go of my scoring wants. Nevertheless, you'll always be successful if you DO SOMETHING, and do it with every bit of PASSION IN YOUR SOUL. My desire to make the best out of my situation helped me average 11 rebounds and 4 blocks a game at, once again 5'10, 170 lbs versus 6'4 freaks of nature. Right now, I'm in college already, and college recruitment has a lot to do with connections. Politics, you see. Regardless, I'm training my ass off to get on the team, even if it's just the B-squad, so essentially, we're in the same situation, my Asian brother. I'm not trying to be mean, nor will I not help you, but I'm just that surprised. Gotta say, this added some fire in that pit, SPK. Very sincerely, thanks.

Anyway, down to business.

How to be mentally tough on and off the court

Confidence. NOT swagger. NOT cockiness. Confidence. As Rake said, there's a fine line between confidence and the latter, but that doesn't mean you should cross it stay far, far away. MILK IT. Milk your confidence for all it's worth. If you BELIEVE yourself to be better far than you are, you WILL actually get there, provided your DETERMINATION is in the right place. Confidence and determination are an extremely deadly combination, and there are many ways to get them. Read. Play. Train. Meditate. It doesn't matter. Just choose and DO what makes you feel it down to the marrow in your bones.

Ways to balance schoolwork, family, and sports

In my last year of high school, I was juggling schoolwork, Student Council, varsity, family, weight training, dance crew, inconsistently courting this inconsistent girl, village youth government, and a bunch of other shit I don't even recall. The main thing here is to set your priorities. In order to aid you in this, I encourage you to actually write down your tasks for the day. it doesn't have to be in order nor does it have to be down to the minute. Just write down the different areas in your life and write down what you can, need, and want to do for them on that day, then restructure. See what needs to be done first, what can be done later, and what needs to take a back seat.

I'm telling you right now though, as a future teacher, even though your schoolwork should always, ALWAYS come before your varsity (you're a student, not an NBA player, or at least not yet. Love in the now though.), you don't need to spend hour upon hour hitting the books. When you write out your tasks for the day, I suggest you write down your school stuff first, then write too how much time you THINK you're going to need for that. Then time yourself. Don't make it so short that you won't be able to do anything. Just go with the minimum effective dose.

Diets for gaining mass? Best type of protein supplements?

I think I've already shared with you my views on this. Just to reiterate, just eat real foods. No sodas, no sugars, and even no grains (Except for rice and oatmeal; Anything whole wheat or made with wheat, just say no yo). Like I said, I fast every morning, eat a protein and fat-filled lunch, then feast at night. A typical dinner/PWO meal for me looks like:

2 sweet potatoes with butter
    Butter
    4 eggs, scrambled
    1.5-2 cups of white rice
    6-8 oz of some protein (around 40-50g worth, aside from the eggs)
    Veggies
    A banana or an apple

Bottomline: Eat big to get big, but don't be a fatass and wreck your body at the same time.

How to get adjusted to VERY physical play

EMBRACE IT. Nothing else to do here but accept it's part of the game and learn to play physical WITHIN the rules of the game. Being an undersized C, it's easy to think I'd get bullied, but I didn't let that thought cross my mind one bit. Every center I played with was bigger than me but I made sure they would have to scratch and claw for every rebound or point they'd get against me. Being physically tough starts with being mentally tough. Adopt the attitude and it'll be.

How to get 'into the zone

Yo have to find your own way, but let me just say this. If you have to scream, kick, shout, or anything "beastly" before a game, you're just setting yourself up for burnout. Part of that mindset you have to adopt is knowing that you can play to the best of your abilities without having to unnecessarily psych yourself up to the point where it seems like a full moon just rose up outta nowhere. Stay calm, quiet if you want, but don't let silence mean you're not ready to go to war. Once again, a fair fight between strong bodies will go down to who has the stronger mind.

Tips on perimeter defense

Just the usual. The ball can trick you, but the body can't. Watch his torso and stay on your feet. Don't be afraid to play physical, but don't just go giving up silly fouls. Observe habits. If they can't get into their comfort zone, they won't have a good game, period.

Woot Woot! Hey you did respond!

Hats off to you for banging with the big boys, Chuck Hayes must have been an inspiration for you. So I'm going to take your advice and write down all my daily activities. I could do it digitally but I'd rather keep a physical journal.

Regarding protein intake: What would be a good source of 40-50 grams of protein? Is protein from say, chocolate milk the same as protein from lean chicken breast? Also I've replaced the white bread pb&jelly sandwiches with a brand of whole wheat called Honeywheat. How big of a difference do you think this switch will make?

Also my rebounding could use some work, any tips on:

1. Timing
    2. Grabbing the ball with 2 hands( not playing volleyball with it)
    3. Securing the rebound after snatching it( sometimes I don't protect the ball very well and it gets slapped at or poked loose by a sneaky defender)
    4. Fighting through a huge player's boxout
    5. Boxing out huge players( I know the saying is low man always wins but are there any other tips regarding this?)

Woot Woot! Hey you did respond!

Hats off to you for banging with the big boys, Chuck Hayes must have been an inspiration for you. So I'm going to take your advice and write down all my daily activities. I could do it digitally but I'd rather keep a physical journal.

Regarding protein intake: What would be a good source of 40-50 grams of protein? Is protein from say, chocolate milk the same as protein from lean chicken breast? Also I've replaced the white bread pb&jelly sandwiches with a brand of whole wheat called Honeywheat. How big of a difference do you think this switch will make?

Also my rebounding could use some work, any tips on:

1. Timing
    2. Grabbing the ball with 2 hands( not playing volleyball with it)
    3. Securing the rebound after snatching it( sometimes I don't protect the ball very well and it gets slapped at or poked loose by a sneaky defender)
    4. Fighting through a huge player's boxout
    5. Boxing out huge players( I know the saying is low man always wins but are there any other tips regarding this?)
    Thanks, man. And nah. It's called pride. Whatever I represent, I make damn sure I represent it well. I was tired of everyone saying our school was weak (even though we admittedly truly were) or I wasn't good enough to play college ball (Which I'm close to disproving right now). At times, my pride can get unhealthy to the point where I start ripping my jersey, tossing my goggles (yes, I'm a Kareem), or whatever, but that's just how intense I play in the game.

Anyway, about the protein, whenever you eat, just try to make sure you get at serving at least the size of your fist. I eat way more at night since my minimal eating during the day leaves some holes in my nutrition if I won't compensate at another time (of course, this is done with reason, though), but for those who have a regular schedule, a good fist-sized portion is ideal. It doesn't matter what animal it is, just get that serving.

Admittedly, I wouldn't count protein from any other sources aside from meat, dairy (milk, cheese, etc.), and supplements (if you take). Counting proteins from breads and other foods that are mainly sources of other macronutrients (Carbohydrates and fats) are usually incomplete proteins. Not gonna go into the science, mainly because it flies over my head too, but if I were to get all my proteins from bread, imagine how much bread I'd need to eat. Anyway, this type of thinking, it just keeps you honest.

About the bread, well, for someone who needs to gain weight, PB&J's can be your best friend. Just make sure you get good ingredients and you'll be good. I suggest you eat them later in the day though. Ever since I started reversing my eating portions (Meals get bigger as the day progresses), I've gotten bigger and more cut up. I'm not that jacked and ripped yet but I'll most definitely reach my goal of the year before 2012 ends. If I were you though, I'd rather replace that PB&J with some apple, PB, and sardines (You can actually mix them if you want. PB & sardines actually go together).

Oddly enough, I never really worked on my rebounding alone. It was ALWAYS during practice. I guess that's hat made me want to get after it more, the fact that the only REAL rebounding practice I got was when others were around to simulate a real game. Otherwise, if you were alone, it felt really awkward. However, there are still some stuff you can do if you're training alone.

1) Timing

To work on this, I don't really like those constant throws off the board and just grabbing them down. If you're gonna grab a board, GRAB it. Rip it out from the air. One thing I used to do was stand one on side of the paint, toss it up well above the square on the board while facing slightly the outer side, then once I release, I quickly drop down in a box-out position and move to the other side. If you toss and move quickly enough, you'll be able to get in a good position just before the ball hits the board. Time your mighty jump and rip it down.

2) Grabbing & Securing

Now, this is just going to be a habit you have to build. Whenever you see a board is yours, grab it with both hands or do the old slapping act. I guess it was just instinct for me plus the influence I got form watching all the bigs play, but whenever i used to grab a board, automatic, chin it hard and look out. Before I even hit the floor, I already look behind me to see if there's a good pass out or a nosy defender trying it poke it out. It's much easier to protect the ball when you are more aware of your surroundings. I believe court vision isn't just a "guard thing."

3) Boxing out huge players

Of course, brute strength is a plus in this department. The paint is the big, bad boy's domain, and the bigger and badder, the better. However, that is not to say a little finesse can go a long way. I think footwork is going to be of utmost importance here when dealing with bigger players. Learn spin and seal, swim and seal, and use any other clean trick you can use to get in front of your man. Bottomline, learn to be quick on your feet and use your craftiness. There are a lot of ways you can beat the bigger man using your feet (I guess the dancing came in handy here ), but remember, once you have him beat, it's time to turn finesse into aggressiveness. Seal your man hard with your rear (no homo). I learned that the hard way garnering up fouls when I would try and push my man back with my back. Also, try to ge low enough to be able to block one of his legs from jumping. 9 times out of 10, they're not going to jump, simply coz they know they can't without hitting you.

I remember this vid helped me a lot back then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ozw1PTgC8

For any other tips, it's cliche, but whoever wants it more WILL get it. I don't really have that impressive of a jump (I can barely touch the rim at my height), but it all comes down to the fight.

Peanut butter and sardines? Bahahahaha

I like what you said about all players requiring court visions it just during the heat of the moment in a game I forget to count 5 defenders and can get picked, but I'm getting better at that. I really need to get in the habit of chinning rebounds as I'm sure it'll help a lot. That tapping trick from the Dwight Howard video may just be silly enough to try during a game. Alright it's long past bedtime for me. Thanks again to everybody who took the time to contribute to this thread.

Peanut butter and sardines? Bahahahaha

I like what you said about all players requiring court visions it just during the heat of the moment in a game I forget to count 5 defenders and can get picked, but I'm getting better at that. I really need to get in the habit of chinning rebounds as I'm sure it'll help a lot. That tapping trick from the Dwight Howard video may just be silly enough to try during a game. Alright it's long past bedtime for me. Thanks again to everybody who took the time to contribute to this thread.
    It actually works when you know how to move and seal right away. I used to use a trick during free throws when my teammate is on the line. More often than not, the defender beside you nearest the goal will seal you from the inside, trying to push you out form there. Predicting that though, you can simply move to where he used to be. You're more or less switching places, except you can use this now to box HIM out. Mixing that with the tapping trick works when you use it right.

Anyway, keep pursuing progress, SPK.

"Guarded" isn't quite the appropriate term. Stood there while he completely obliterated us is more like it.

Was he too big or too strong? Was his jumpshot just automatic?

Pretty interesting stuff

I never had the chance to play with or against an NBA player so I have a lot of questions

Was he too big or too strong? Was his jumpshot just automatic?
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    It actually works when you know how to move and seal right away. I used to use a trick during free throws when my teammate is on the line. More often than not, the defender beside you nearest the goal will seal you from the inside, trying to push you out form there. Predicting that though, you can simply move to where he used to be. You're more or less switching places, except you can use this now to box HIM out. Mixing that with the tapping trick works when you use it right.

Anyway, keep pursuing progress, SPK.
    Grabbing an offensive rebound off a free throw is something I can't remember ever doing in a competitive game. Maybe part of it is mental that I'm not expected to grab one because I don't have inside position but next game I'll push myself to try and get every rebound possible.

Grabbing an offensive rebound off a free throw is something I can't remember ever doing in a competitive game. Maybe part of it is mental that I'm not expected to grab one because I don't have inside position but next game I'll push myself to try and get every rebound possible.
    Like I said, whoever wants it more WILL get it. Plus it's a good opportunity to get an extra basket or foul since you're so close to the basket and there'll be no set D, and even if you don't you're still getting an extra possession.

Oh, and what time do your classes start? I used to be a late sleeper in high school, but I started sleeping early and waking up early now that I'm in college too (I seem to have it backwards here), but I find I'm more productive and overall more energetic. Waking up early to finish some school work doesn't seem like cramming if you really have the time and routine down.

working on that lefty