Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Expected To Sign 3 Year Extension Worth $85 Million

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    I'm taking 25 mill this year Buss, I know you offered me 28, but since you have a few of my TEAMMATES to think about, then I'lll settle for that
    LOL

Jerry Buss: I shouldn't tell you this but I'm probably 20 times richer than you Kobe and I was going to resign Trevor and Lamar anyway. Thanks for the 3 millions. I think I'll spend them to furnish my 6th vacaction home in the Hamptons.

Kobe: Well you could use that money to feed the homeless in L.A. or find homes for the orphans.

Jerry Buss: Kobe, i'm running a business here. I'm not Mother Theresa nor will I do the government's job.
    Last edited by Phong; 07-01-2009 at 11:34 AM.

I'm taking 25 mill this year Buss, I know you offered me 28, but since you have a few of my TEAMMATES to think about, then I'lll settle for that
    It's not Kobe's job to provide for the team financially. He is a player, just like the others, and one of the best, if not the best, in the league. I would have been really happy to see Kobe take less because I really want both Ariza and Odom back next year, but to pass judgement on him for taking more money isn't fair and it's ignorant, because I can imagine that I'd have a hard time turning that money down. Would I take it? IDK, but it's not so cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    that's not true. the lakers will spend the money if they think the player is worth it. they always have given players the money.

the lakers will look at lamar and trevor, base their offers on the value they bring to the team on and off the court and go from there. fact is buss makes a pile of money, alot more than he pays kobe and kobe is a major reason the lakers do bring in so much money. it's not just his play it's his persona, his standing in the nba and los angles. buss may pay kobe 22 million a year but kobe brings that back in spades for buss.

lol the lakers are not hurting for money, this is not memphis searching the folds of the couch for loose change, it's the lakers in the second largest market and they are rolling in money, part owner aeg makes billions, they could pay the luxury tax and never know the money was gone.

so please stop acting like this is crippling the lakers, all it's doing is guaranteeing they keep making money hand over fist for the future
    Your a knowledgeable man on everything NBA GTS, but to me it looks like your smoothing over something wrong here, your not the only one...
    Listen, I don't need to be incredibly intelligent or be in Kobe's position to tell you what I would do...The thing is, he had options, Kobe chose to take the money route, and now he is getting scrutinised for it, he's not the first and he won't be the last, but it doesn't exempt him from scrutiny just because he was happy to take the money lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I know exactly how salary can impact a team. The question again is how would Bryant taking less money help the team. Given the way the Laker's contracts are structured for the next few years and Jerry Buss's immense wealth, I don't see them struggling to re-sign any of the players that helped them win a championship this year. Really, Bryant taking less money would simply help Jerry Buss who would then have to pay less in luxury taxes on current players he wished to sign. In essence, what would happen is a transfer of money from a rich player to a much, much, much richer owner. Let's also not forget that the player is bringing in much more money for the owner than he's being paid.

So let me ask the question in a simpler, dumbed down way so that you can understand. Why are we assuming that the Lakers are going to have trouble signing players if Bryant doesn't take less money given the facts surrounding the Lakers right now?
    You really think the Lakers are going to be willing to spend all that luxury tax if the reward is not that certain? I don't think they will.

At the very least they will grow overconfident to the point where they will think they don't need * * player at that double price.
    And the older Bryant becomes, the less likely it is that they are going to spend extra money to fill the team, because that team probably isn't going to win any more championships anyway.

Bryant taking a front loaded contract at this point would enlarge the Lakers' "championship window".

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    His salary in 2010-2011 : $24,806,250

The max he can get is a 10.5% raise. So the max contract he could get is :

2011-2012 : $27.410,906
    2012-2013 : $30.289,051
    2013-2014 : $33.167,196

Total : $90,867,153

So that means he would leave $6 million on the table, for three years. So $2 million a year.

Gilbert : $10 million for 6 years. So $1.67 million a year.
    Mikael,
    thanks for doing the math. for some reason, I thought he could only sign for much less than that.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You really think the Lakers are going to be willing to spend all that luxury tax if the reward is not that certain? I don't think they will.

At the very least they will grow overconfident to the point where they will think they don't need * * player at that double price.
    And the older Bryant becomes, the less likely it is that they are going to spend extra money to fill the team, because that team probably isn't going to win any more championships anyway.

Bryant taking a front loaded contract at this point would enlarge the Lakers' "championship window".
    what IS certain is that the Lakers WILL make the playoffs (more revenue) AND Kobe is clearly the biggest draw in the entire league and especially in LA.
    Kobe puts butts in the seats.... revenue.

it is entirely up to Buss as to how much luxury tax he wants to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong
    LOL

Jerry Buss: I shouldn't tell you this but I'm probably 20 times richer than you Kobe and I was going to resign Trevor and Lamar anyway. Thanks for the 3 millions. I think I'll spend them to furnish my 6th vacaction home in the Hamptons.

Kobe: Well you could use that money to feed the homeless in L.A. or find homes for the orphans.

Jerry Buss: Kobe, i'm running a business here. I'm not Mother Theresa nor will I do the government's job.
    ?

No matter what I would say you would find something to bail Kobe out...Fustrating thing about ISH...
    Jerry Buss's salary has nothing to do with the Laker's team salary cap, and he has no bearing on Ariza and Odom remaining with the Lakers that's up to Kobe and his salary...

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Mikael,
    thanks for doing the math. for some reason, I thought he could only sign for much less than that.
    Actually, I was wrong. I corrected it, page 2.

The max you can get in the 1st year of your new contract is 105% of your previous salary, or 35% of the cap in Kobe's case because he's a 10+ year veteran, whichever is greater.

Kobe will earn $24,806,250 in 2011. So the max he can get in 2012 is 105% of that, so $26,046,563.

Then he can get a 10.5% raise on that salary. So an additional $2.734,889 per year.

So :

2012 : $26,046,563
    2013 : $28,781,452
    2014 : $31,516,341

Total : $86,344,356

Well, it seems like he's getting the max. Sorry about the wrong maths earlier

I guess Kobe doesnt want anymore rings.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJ2k8
    meh, im sure lebron will get a bigger contract from NY
    he cant. its not possibly under the current cba salary guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    I guess Kobe doesnt want anymore rings.
    Or teammates

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    what IS certain is that the Lakers WILL make the playoffs (more revenue) AND Kobe is clearly the biggest draw in the entire league and especially in LA.
    Kobe puts butts in the seats.... revenue.

it is entirely up to Buss as to how much luxury tax he wants to pay.
    sure, but there is going to come a point where he is pretty ****ed. He wont be able to get any top young players, since his $ will all be locked up. Will they just keep extending their players (LO in 5 years?). Kobe will be washed up by the 4th year of this 5 year contract and making so much money that the organization will have no flexibility to surround him with quality players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    Actually, I was wrong. I corrected it, page 2.
    Thank you for correcting your mistake. I thought you were wrong, but wasnt going to bother to figure it out. I knew kobe wouldnt leave any $ on the table.

Custom User Title

?

No matter what I would say you would find something to bail Kobe out...Fustrating thing about ISH...
    Jerry Buss's salary has nothing to do with the Laker's team salary cap, and he has no bearing on Ariza and Odom remaining with the Lakers that's up to Kobe and his salary...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lakers are allowed to go over the salary cap when attempting to resign Lamar and Trevor. The extra money will count towards the luxury tax which is absolutely contingent on how much money Jerry Buss is personally earning.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Jordan had the same salary in 97 and 98. Good teams pay the lux to win.
    Different CBA rules. It didnt hamstring his team the way this will.

Besides, I knew Michael Jordan, and you (kobe) sir, are no Michael Jordan.