Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Kobe Expected To Sign 3 Year Extension Worth $85 Million

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You don't know how salary can impact a team?

And here I was thinking you were a decent poster.
    Lakers are over the cap even with Kobe taking $5 million less per year.

Also, it's easier said than done to actually forfeit several million dollars. I know I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong
    Wanna blame someone for being selfish? Blame those players who are paid 5-7 millions just to sit on the bench.

I'd rather pay 30 millions for a superstar who's gonna perform all season long than pay 6 millions for the likes of Morrison or Vujacic.
    These players that you refer to don't hold the key to other teammates resigning, since they don't take up much of the capspace...They shouldn't have to either since they are the lowest paid...

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five

Also, it's easier said than done to actually forfeit several million dollars. I know I wouldn't.
    Sitting with 200+ mill in your bank with a future salary plus future endorsements? Comon man, its not like your out on the street...

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five

Yes, but aren't a couple of important Lakers up for new contracts this or next season?

The more money they give Bryant, the less they can afford to spend on his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    but it at least shows a testament to your character if you leave even $10 Million on the table like Gilbert did.
    If Gilbert had any character, he would be giving his money back. He has played in 15 regular season games the last 2 years. That works out to $1,763,360 per game played!

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Within the parameters of being a player who has already made millions through salary and endorsements plus future salary and endorsements Quasimoto, NO! I would feel terrible for taking that sort of money, not to mention the economic times...
    Dude, you have no idea what being in that situation is like. Don't pass judgement on something you know nothing of. Sure, it's easy to sit behind your little computer and talk all this **** about how you wouldn't take it, yada yada yada-****ing-yada, but until you are the one being offered 30 Mil, stfu. This holier than thou attitude is so ****ing annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    If Gilbert had any character, he would be giving his money back. He has played in 15 regular season games the last 2 years. That works out to $1,763,360 per game played!
    Good point, however we would need another thread for that subject too...

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong
    Kobe is responsible for the economical crisis, global warming and world hunger.
    And feeding Latrell Sprewell's Family. Family

You don't know how salary can impact a team?

And here I was thinking you were a decent poster.
    I know exactly how salary can impact a team. The question again is how would Bryant taking less money help the team. Given the way the Laker's contracts are structured for the next few years and Jerry Buss's immense wealth, I don't see them struggling to re-sign any of the players that helped them win a championship this year. Really, Bryant taking less money would simply help Jerry Buss who would then have to pay less in luxury taxes on current players he wished to sign. In essence, what would happen is a transfer of money from a rich player to a much, much, much richer owner. Let's also not forget that the player is bringing in much more money for the owner than he's being paid.

So let me ask the question in a simpler, dumbed down way so that you can understand. Why are we assuming that the Lakers are going to have trouble signing players if Bryant doesn't take less money given the facts surrounding the Lakers right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Juges8932
    Dude, you have no idea what being in that situation is like. Don't pass judgement on something you know nothing of. Sure, it's easy to sit behind your little computer and talk all this **** about how you wouldn't take it, yada yada yada-****ing-yada, but until you are the one being offered 30 Mil, stfu. This holier than thou attitude is so ****ing annoying.
    Pretty easy to see he's got Scrooge written all over him...I'm not like that, I'm always willing to help people less fortunate, you should try it sometime...

shhhhhhh

Yes, but aren't a couple of important Lakers up for new contracts this or next season?

The more money they give Bryant, the less they can afford to spend on his teammates.
    that's not true. the lakers will spend the money if they think the player is worth it. they always have given players the money.

the lakers will look at lamar and trevor, base their offers on the value they bring to the team on and off the court and go from there. fact is buss makes a pile of money, alot more than he pays kobe and kobe is a major reason the lakers do bring in so much money. it's not just his play it's his persona, his standing in the nba and los angles. buss may pay kobe 22 million a year but kobe brings that back in spades for buss.

lol the lakers are not hurting for money, this is not memphis searching the folds of the couch for loose change, it's the lakers in the second largest market and they are rolling in money, part owner aeg makes billions, they could pay the luxury tax and never know the money was gone.

so please stop acting like this is crippling the lakers, all it's doing is guaranteeing they keep making money hand over fist for the future

Pretty easy to see he's got Scrooge written all over him...I'm not like that, I'm always willing to help people less fortunate, you should try it sometime...
    Actually, I do, but thanks for basing your judgement on me based on absolutely nothing. I always help people, even homeless people that don't deserve it. It's being a scrooge to accept money you are being offered? No, that's accepting an offer. Again, it's easy to sit behind your computer and act all chivalrous and **** and say you wouldn't accept it, but when you've got the offer for 30 million dollars, then you can talk. Being in the situation is a lot different. People like to judge on what they don't know.

As much as I idolise Jordan, he took his big bag in his career too, perhaps not to this extent...To answer your statement, if I was at the back end of my career, I have maybe 200+ million in salary and endorsements to this date, my mind would be thinking more about having my teammates around for the end of my career as opposed to squeezing the orange for the last drop...And I certainly would feel a little uneasy taking that sort of money when I have people around me who are struggling to make a living, while sitting on a BIG pile of money...
    well Jordan was a different case, he was getting paid like 1 million per year at those times and i think the 30 mil per year the last couple of seasons were more than well deserved...

again like i understand what you are trying to say. the humanistic side of you wants to look out for the average guy and it's hard times. but you also have to look at it at other people's point of view. poor people is not your crowd. your main concern is your wife and kids and the rest of your family. i know 30 is more than way enough to provide but how many people take paycuts. the average guy sure wouldn't. Other athletes at different sports wouldn't, other celebrities wouldn't upper middle class and upper class workers wouldn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Juges8932
    Actually, I do, but thanks for basing your judgement on me based on absolutely nothing. I always help people, even homeless people that don't deserve it. It's being a scrooge to accept money you are being offered? No, that's accepting an offer. Again, it's easy to sit behind your computer and act all chivalrous and **** and say you wouldn't accept it, but when you've got the offer for 30 million dollars, then you can talk. Being in the situation is a lot different. People like to judge on what they don't know.
    I'm taking 25 mill this year Buss, I know you offered me 28, but since you have a few of my TEAMMATES to think about, then I'lll settle for that

Within the parameters of being a player who has already made millions through salary and endorsements plus future salary and endorsements Quasimoto, NO! I would feel terrible for taking that sort of money, not to mention the economic times...

lol YEAH OKAY.